PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this tail light mod?

Gladman
02-14-2004, 06:50 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/pf68b3941beb531686085bd0525844eeb/f99fbda2.jpg

Cost me $9

DRFT
02-14-2004, 06:52 PM
really wow how cheap! but where the pics to show that you spent $9

EDIT: nm now i see th pic, not a really big fan of it

Gladman
02-14-2004, 06:56 PM
$9 + spare set of tails, looks better in real life ;)

brokenben
02-14-2004, 06:56 PM
yea.. kinda ghetto...

stillmatic
02-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Nice... What did you do?

nightwalker
02-14-2004, 07:17 PM
are those OZ Volcanos? I use to like those wheels a lot.

brokenben
02-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Nice... What did you do?
theyre modified zenki tails.

SimpleS14
02-14-2004, 07:29 PM

yes...but what did he do? or how did he mod he lights to look like that?

stillmatic
02-14-2004, 07:31 PM
:werd: What he said ^^

brokenben
02-14-2004, 07:32 PM
yes...but what did he do? or how did he mod he lights to look like that?
oh.. haha my bad.

nismo2491
02-14-2004, 07:33 PM
it looks to me like he got the red translucent tailight spray, then got some auto parts store truck style tailights (the 3" rings) and put those in there
KEvin

black180sx
02-14-2004, 08:38 PM
looks like photoshop

black s13
02-14-2004, 10:10 PM
looks like home made kuoki lights... with some black overspray and the lights pointing in 2 directions...

Thrill Capsule
02-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Im not digging that at all...

Any night time pics? Im just curious.

KiDyNomiTe
02-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Well they are modified s13 tails. All S13 tails are the same cept kouki tails.

And hmm looks bad, its just a bad mix of kouki tails and regular tails. Does that affect the lights at all? Anyways to each his own.

matlock
02-15-2004, 01:38 AM
Yeh, looks a little rough....I guess its a cool idea, but like black_s13 said it looks like they are pointing in 2 different positions, plus I am kind of curious to see how close you "mirrored" them on the other side.

Gladman
02-15-2004, 01:55 AM
Hehe, i didnt provide much info...

This taillight is my "rough copy" (ie spare taillight) i've only done 1 so far.

The lense on the left was merely attached to the outside of the tail light (I made sure to heat the lense to curve with the tail light), where the one on the right, i cut a 5" hole and sunk the lense into the tail light.

Trust me that they'll look a lot better when i actually do the real thing.

When i initially painted these ones, the transparent red "orange pealed" in a few spots so i put like 5 thick coats to try and get rid of that and thats why they look so dark.

Heres a few more pics, kinda explains my learning curve in making them...

My car is a work in progress right now, dont mind the paint/dirt/scratches.

in this pic they're taped on, i was just getting a feel for the look (notice how crooked they are)
http://northwestnissans.com/board/attachment.php?s=&postid=189421

this picture explains it all
http://northwestnissans.com/board/attachment.php?s=&postid=189422

to get rid of the holes after i attached the tail light, i poured some epoxy in the head of the screw and sprayed the lense with clear, you cant really see the fasteners once you do that.

5" trailer tail light replacements :D
http://northwestnissans.com/board/attachment.php?s=&postid=189424

when i do my tails, ill do the lenses like the one on the left
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/pef4b5633f2eb9cb2ca1ac56ff129df5e/f9a0cf50.jpg

thats about all for now...

RedlineRacer
02-15-2004, 01:56 AM
light the tails up

Gladman
02-15-2004, 02:02 AM
done and done.

looks almost the same as stock, you kinda sorta see dark rings, but not really.

http://northwestnissans.com/board/attachment.php?s=&postid=190183

phrozen
02-15-2004, 03:53 AM
this belongs in the gehtto thread =D

old_s13
02-15-2004, 12:53 PM
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

terminate project --- terminate project...

Gladman
02-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Im willing to bet money the guys against the mod all have kouki tails...

:D am i right, or am i right?

black s13
02-15-2004, 01:32 PM
i hate it, and i have stock tails. looks like he was to cheap to buy koukis, thats all. kinda like the whole garden liner front lip, looks like something, until you get close.

KiDyNomiTe
02-15-2004, 03:29 PM

Olds13 hates it cuz he works with lights all the time, but when he does, he takes light output into consideation. I love his work, go to clearcorners and see all the things he has done.

Heartwork
02-15-2004, 03:33 PM

i hate it and i dont even have an S13 fastback......

lilredstiffy
02-15-2004, 03:45 PM
looks like shit

if you want kouki lights, buy kouki lights

psychedelicbeats
02-15-2004, 04:02 PM
damn there's like nothing in there that's guiding the light reflection out to the circles alone. i say you redo the inside of the lights with some kind of concave relector or some shit and give it another shot

matlock
02-15-2004, 04:10 PM

You are wrong, I have an S13 Coupe, and second of all they look like @$$ when lit up they don't really do anything and they look kind of shotty in a couple of those pics, I understand its a "rough" copy but go to www.clearcorners.com and check out some real stuff ;)

Ghettokracker71
02-15-2004, 05:03 PM
All I gotta say is take that damn wing off

SimpleS14
02-15-2004, 07:53 PM
simple response: I don't like them and they look like shit.

HyperTek
02-15-2004, 08:00 PM
quik close the thread, dont want APC or Eurolites to see this... =D

Ghettokracker71
02-15-2004, 08:01 PM
quik close the thread, dont want APC or Eurolites to see this... =D
lmao.....!!

No Motiv
02-16-2004, 12:12 AM
..........................BAHAHAHHAHA :rofl:

nightwalker
02-16-2004, 12:52 AM
I'd rock them. :ugh:

Gladman
02-16-2004, 01:41 AM
All I gotta say is take that damn wing off

funny you should mention, i sold it this morning. :tweak:

Gladman
02-16-2004, 01:42 AM
You are wrong, I have an S13 Coupe, and second of all they look like @$$ when lit up they don't really do anything and they look kind of shotty in a couple of those pics, I understand its a "rough" copy but go to www.clearcorners.com and check out some real stuff ;)

i hope you dont consider ceiling panels for a turn signal lense "the real thing"

RedlineRacer
02-16-2004, 03:27 AM
thats not what OldS13 uses.

Gladman
02-16-2004, 03:33 AM
either way, it looks like it...

Ghettokracker71
02-16-2004, 09:09 AM
either way, it looks like it...
not to somebody who knows their shit ....specailly in nighttime...or in daytime if they get a good glance

EDIT:Its definitely creative,and I have alot of respect for you,for having the balls to try something like this.....

Gladman
02-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Call me crazy, but even if the quality is good... it just doesnt look right on the car...

http://www.clearcorners.com/products/nissan/240sx1/imgs/featcarB03.jpg

Im gonna do my tails later this week, maybe this weekend and post some pics....

jinsei888
02-16-2004, 01:44 PM
simple response: I don't like them and they look like shit.

:down: <----------

NervGS
02-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Call me crazy, but even if the quality is good... it just doesnt look right on the car...

http://www.clearcorners.com/products/nissan/240sx1/imgs/featcarB03.jpg

Im gonna do my tails later this week, maybe this weekend and post some pics....

WTF...?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/pf68b3941beb531686085bd0525844eeb/f99fbda2.jpg

And you're telling all of us something doesn't look right... Thats what I said to my friend's mom when I found out she had a dick!

Good work on being creative and cost effective, unfortunatly it doesn't work. Sorry, try again.

-glenn

AlligatorBling
02-16-2004, 03:32 PM
i like it, it might not be immaculate looking, but your not going to get immaculate for under 10 bucks... i think your lights look a lot more sporty than the boring old plane jane tail lights... keep working with this idea of creating a way to have stylish tail lights for cheep rather than dumping a ridiculous amount of cash into a couple pieces of plastic and you will have something you could really profit from. Good work. :bigok:

nurspecsil
02-16-2004, 04:06 PM
I give you props for the idea but i am not feeling the finished product. I woulda spent the $9 on beer and then thought about ways of getting real Kouki lights.

Gladman
02-16-2004, 04:13 PM
fyi... this isnt the finished product... i did one lense and was goin to throw the tail light in the garbage, but i figured id do the other one and take pics just for kicks...

i wont put anything that ghetto on my car...

the reason it looks like such shit would be because i cracked the light and took a chuck out of the plastic, i filled in the crack with silicon and painted it red... lol...

one of the lenses also has 5 extra layers of transparent red on it...

like i said, i wont put ugly shit on my car, id be better off with plain red.... ill make them look good, just you wait and see.

the first pic is of the light when i wanted to throw it out, the 2nd lense i added was alright, but it didnt match the color of the rest of the light... like i said, its a "rough copy" with about 10 layers of red on it, its all oranged pealed and posted the pics to give you an idea of what i was doing..
not trying to show you how beautiful my new tail light was :p

Ghettokracker71
02-16-2004, 05:01 PM
fyi... this isnt the finished product... i did one lense and was goin to throw the tail light in the garbage, but i figured id do the other one and take pics just for kicks...

i wont put anything that ghetto on my car...

the reason it looks like such shit would be because i cracked the light and took a chuck out of the plastic, i filled in the crack with silicon and painted it red... lol...

one of the lenses also has 5 extra layers of transparent red on it...

like i said, i wont put ugly shit on my car, id be better off with plain red.... ill make them look good, just you wait and see.

the first pic is of the light when i wanted to throw it out, the 2nd lense i added was alright, but it didnt match the color of the rest of the light... like i said, its a "rough copy" with about 10 layers of red on it, its all oranged pealed and posted the pics to give you an idea of what i was doing..
not trying to show you how beautiful my new tail light was :p
well I want to see a "finished copy" ...that might be something I'd do....lol....that one on the left is good but only one circle,if you could do something with when it lights up? Anyway,your sitting on a goldmine if you can make it work right....but the rough copy was kinda rough :\

nocomedown
02-16-2004, 06:25 PM
yea, i say you just get kouki lights. and i sure hope thats a Z3 that you took that 2nd picture next to

SimpleS14
02-16-2004, 07:41 PM
That transparent red spray paint is going to look like shit give or take three weeks. This is because of the exposure the paint will have to the elements (heat, cold, air and water...or something like that :p). I'm surprised no one has opened up the housing and painted the lense red.

nismo2491
02-16-2004, 08:34 PM
yeah thats definitely a civic with the z3 fenders I think. not 100% sure though but thats what the wheelwell looks like. IMO it looks decent when its not lit up but when it is I wouldn't rock it. and yes the paint fades quite quick
and in the pic when the red is still wet it almost looks like a cherry candy. mmmm
KEvin

lilredstiffy
02-16-2004, 10:42 PM
still think it looks like poo

good job ruining your stock lights

psychedelicbeats
02-16-2004, 10:52 PM
if anything, i would take measurements of the real deal the kouki's cause the circular light is far out from each other. at least, that's what i see from the pictures. the glossy stuff.. it aint happenin. like someone said earlier, crack the taillight assembly apart, paint from inside, and then start makin some progress...

quik ?: how do they remove the color on the lights?

HyperTek
02-16-2004, 10:53 PM
hey wheres your exhuast?? modding that too?? hehe jk.

Gladman
02-17-2004, 12:47 AM
Hehe, sold the exhaust... i currently have nothing from the head back.. so yeah....

As for the red paint.... my tails have looked like this from 6 months now... and havent gotten any worse.... keep in mind im in canada too, so they've seen well below freezing....

I figure if i want the lights to illuminate properly, ill take a 5" hole saw and go right through the entire tail light, then insert 2 entire housings... should work... that would also give me the opportunity to mount them pointing straight back...

btw... not a civic

Gladman
02-17-2004, 12:50 AM
still think it looks like poo

good job ruining your stock lights

Apparently a lot of zilvia members cant read... ive said it like 5 times, this was a spare tail light, i havent done mine yet...

mrmephistopheles
02-17-2004, 12:58 AM
omg .

brokenben
02-17-2004, 01:13 AM
btw... not a civic
point still stands.

NervGS
02-19-2004, 12:25 AM
WTF?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33716&item=2461349609

>>"Tools required would consist of a place to paint, masking tape, a drill and 1/8" drill bit as well as a screw driver. "

Yeah, a drill to use on your forehead, and the screw driver to stab your brain to death.

-glenn

matlock
02-19-2004, 12:30 AM
WTF?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33716&item=2461349609

>>"Tools required would consist of a place to paint, masking tape, a drill and 1/8" drill bit as well as a screw driver. "

Yeah, a drill to use on your forehead, and the screw driver to stab your brain to death.

-glenn

Wow, probably not a good thing to try to sell for that price after he bragged how he did it for only $9, and it seems like all I would need to buy are 4 lenses, a can of transparent red paint, and fasteners; which I can not see costing $30 +....hmmm I still must say this entire project is :ghey: , maybe with some fine tuning etc. it would be a little better. Maybe I can sell garden trim lips on ebay....I am gonna go get on that lol. :jerkit:

ryan hagen
02-19-2004, 12:44 AM
that ll keep the price of stock tail lights up lol, it looks kinda gross, im thinking about spray tinting a set of tail lights, ive seen soem that look, but i m gonna get a spare set before i try.....

AlligatorBling
02-19-2004, 05:01 AM
homeboys on the star to makin money. idiots will buy ANYTHING off ebay... go do a search on ebay for "Junk" or "Stuff" i would have started bidding higher than 30 ... how much does it cost to make a set of kouki's... how much do you pay?

Gladman
02-19-2004, 05:11 AM
haha... ive sold some crazy stuff on ebay before... might as well try this too... ebay has made me quite a few bucks in the past... we'll see how this goes :p

couple hundred thousand 240's in north america... only take a fraction of them to see the auction, be interested, and buy... if someone with more patience and finess than me picked up on it, they could make some nice tails.

i just cant be bothered.

Brolewigi
02-19-2004, 05:14 AM
what a way to waste 9.00. I would have bought two packs of cigarettes.
I don't like them.

Were they screwed in??

phrozen
02-19-2004, 05:41 AM
take that off ebay plz...
1. its ugly, i could see if they were fully functional but there not
2. anyone could figure out how to make those.. dosent take a scientist......
3. i dont have a 3rd but this thread should be closed b4 it gets any uglier up in this $(U#*(%*

Nismo240SX
02-19-2004, 07:47 AM
yeah, if you want to make some money, improve it first off. And then have people send there taillights to you. But i do suggest that you improve it. Looks pretty Ghetto at the moment... no offense bro.

sykikchimp
02-19-2004, 09:24 AM
I can appreciate innovation, and I can totally appreciate the work you put into these (as minute as it may be).. but this is just ghetto poseur crap. I seriously can't believe your trying to sell that on ebay!

You sir, are a the very deffinition of "rice."

old_s13
02-19-2004, 09:28 AM
if you are going to sell a product, atleast stand behind your work and sell something that looks good AND is functional. you're not even selling a finished product!!!

rubbish...

cowbomb
02-19-2004, 10:32 AM
interesting i must say.........

Gladman
02-19-2004, 12:27 PM
I can appreciate innovation, and I can totally appreciate the work you put into these (as minute as it may be).. but this is just ghetto poseur crap. I seriously can't believe your trying to sell that on ebay!

You sir, are a the very deffinition of "rice."

Emphasize the word "trying"...

I personally think they look good... not nearly as nice as a set of koukis.. but I think they look better than the stockers...

and really, whos the idiot here... the person willing to trying something new to make their car one of a kind, or the idiot working $6/h at mcdonalds for 6 months just to afford kouki tails :p

Id say once the car is all painted up and i get my type-x mounted it will be full out rice and ready to fly... i love it.. and thats what matters :p

you can say how ghetto you think it looks all day long, but i think you're factory tails are ghetto.... Amber signals are so 80's :fawkd:

black180sx
02-19-2004, 07:00 PM
3. i dont have a 3rd but this thread should be closed b4 it gets any uglier up in this $(U#*(%*

HAHAHA!!! ...Sorry i got bored... :fruit:
http://www.gallery.cybertarp.com/albums/userpics/15989/normal_Untitled-1%20copy.jpg

matlock
02-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Did you make those ^^^^ ?

Ghettokracker71
02-19-2004, 07:51 PM
wow.....in the most recent pics you can still see the damn scews holding the lenses in place! ....damn,if you want to fuck up a car,and go all riceboy on it,buy something shitty to begin with,that way you are not fucking a nice car;You are taking a shitty one,and making it even more shitty.If you keep this up,you wil get shunned from the 240 community.....Oh wait,it looks like its already begun.....One can only be too hopeful :x:

Stock look bad? Maybe,but is the 'walmart deal of the day' really any better?

People buy a nissan,because they are sick of fucktards like you that have no taste what so ever.

A good idea? Yes. Work properly? No.

One would think that after being flamed I don't know how many times about this,that you would just GIVE IT UP!

BTW I think that the mods are not locking this thread because they think its funny how bad you are getting torn up.

brokenben
02-19-2004, 08:17 PM
ok seriously.. this is pretty much everything thats wrong with the scene these days... ppl picking up on a cool product... making some cheap ghetto copy and trying to sell it for money. congratulations.

black180sx
02-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Did you make those ^^^^ ?

nah i was just messin around with gladman's original photo

ryan hagen
02-19-2004, 08:32 PM
the last lense on the curvature of the light is what makes it look bad to me, it just doenst look right, it almost looks decnet filled in black.........almost

Gladman
02-19-2004, 08:39 PM
wow.....in the most recent pics you can still see the damn scews holding the lenses in place! ....damn,if you want to fuck up a car,and go all riceboy on it,buy something shitty to begin with,that way you are not fucking a nice car;You are taking a shitty one,and making it even more shitty.If you keep this up,you wil get shunned from the 240 community.....Oh wait,it looks like its already begun.....One can only be too hopeful :x:

Stock look bad? Maybe,but is the 'walmart deal of the day' really any better?

People buy a nissan,because they are sick of fucktards like you that have no taste what so ever.

A good idea? Yes. Work properly? No.

One would think that after being flamed I don't know how many times about this,that you would just GIVE IT UP!

BTW I think that the mods are not locking this thread because they think its funny how bad you are getting torn up.

you really have no idea what you're talkin about... anyone with half a brain would go "no back plate, not insured" meaning, im not driving it right now... its a work in progress.

you think bolt on's with fasterners showing are cheasy? thats you opinion... not mine, a certain set of bolt on fenders comes to mind... :mrmeph:

your a fag plain and simple, the fact that your stuck inside "the box" makes me better than you! hahaha :fawkd:

ryan hagen
02-19-2004, 08:44 PM
you really have no idea what you're talkin about... anyone with half a brain would go "no back plate, not insured" meaning, im not driving it right now... its a work in progress.

you think bolt on's with fasterners showing are cheasy? thats you opinion... not mine, a certain set of bolt on fenders comes to mind... :mrmeph:

your a fag plain and simple, the fact that your stuck inside "the box" makes me better than you! hahaha :fawkd:

um, what ever box u got out of, i d like to stay in, after that i lost any respect for the idea, u went alittle too far trying to defend, the rivits for over fenders are to look racey, the lights look more ricey. back plate doesnt mean anything with insurence, people take plates off for pics, soem fuzz plates out......

sykikchimp
02-19-2004, 08:54 PM
a little too much name calling..

btw - I don't like the stock tail lights either :shrug: