PDA

View Full Version : clutch install

hondaguy
02-14-2004, 01:48 PM
is there anyone in the bay area that knows how to install a clutch?i willing to break you off some peso's :naughty: i just dont want to take it to a shop.someone help :ughug:

driftz240sx
02-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Just do it yourself. My dad and i did it in about 6 hours with jackstands with no previous experience. Definately dont take it to a shop.... they will charge about 250-300.

nrcooled
02-14-2004, 03:02 PM
Just do it yourself. My dad and i did it in about 6 hours with jackstands with no previous experience. Definately dont take it to a shop.... they will charge about 250-300.

I agree! Me and my wife did my clutch install. Not hard at all but I would suggest picking up a really long extension for your ratchet plus a swivel adapter. It makes it easier to got the bolts on top of the bell housing

hondaguy
02-14-2004, 03:17 PM
well i dont exact have the right tools,is there like a online site to help you out???

meme
02-14-2004, 04:24 PM
i'm doing a auto-5spd right now. getting the trans off was really straight forward. definatly get a friend to help put the trans back on.

i had my intake manifold and exhaust manifold off so i could get to almost all the trans bolts from the top of the motor.

you will need a tool to get the pilot bearing out. i used a sliding hammer type tool. it had threaded insert that expands as you turn the insert down.

also you will need to get the throw out bearing pressed out and new one put in.

stillmatic
02-14-2004, 04:33 PM
It's easy if you got all the necessary tools and the right place to do it. I wanted to do mine but my lowered car and retarded driveway (no garage) prevented me from doing so..

Here's a nice DIY writeup on changing your own clutch:
http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/flywheel/index.htm

black s13
02-14-2004, 10:14 PM
i did my clutch on a gravel driveway, wasnt hard at all.

you dont need a special tool for the pilot, just get anything with a little hook on the end and pull it out.

rps13sh
02-28-2004, 12:04 PM
question, what happens if you dont replace the pilot bearing on a KA car?

fliprayzin240sx
02-28-2004, 12:20 PM
I see that your from NJ...if your looking for help...go hit up Importfanatix.com and ask for help in there. More than likely somebody out there would be willing to help you with your tranny. Really cool guys...

Natty
02-28-2004, 12:46 PM
How do you support the trans when taking it off and putting it back on? Do you use another jack or a jack stand? I don't have a lift or a transmission jack :(

Johny5
02-28-2004, 12:50 PM
How do you support the trans when taking it off and putting it back on? Do you use another jack or a jack stand? I don't have a lift or a transmission jack :(

when me and my friend did it we lifted and dropped the tranny by hand, most people use jacks though. the pilot bearing..errr, i hope thats not important :) i'm on my 2nd act 6puck and haven't changed the pilot out yet. probably will next time though, sounds like a good thing to do.

fliprayzin240sx
02-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Well if the pilot bearing looks good...dont worry bout it...jes grease it up. Mine look like something gnawed at it so i popped it off with a screw driver and replaced it. Oh yah have a fun time puttin the tranny back on...that shiet was a BITCH. I suggest bench-pressing for about 2 wks b4 you do your tranny cuz ur arms WILL get tired. =p

Johny5
02-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Well if the pilot bearing looks good...dont worry bout it...jes grease it up. Mine look like something gnawed at it so i popped it off with a screw driver and replaced it. Oh yah have a fun time puttin the tranny back on...that shiet was a BITCH. I suggest bench-pressing for about 2 wks b4 you do your tranny cuz ur arms WILL get tired. =p

me and the same friend have done it seven times now. its the most fun and/or painful 2-3 hours of our lives everytime we do it :D

YAY FOR 240 TUNNEL DESIGNS TEH SUXORZ KEY KEY KEY

Natty
02-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I can't bench press 90lbs, so I'm thinking about taking a couple of jacks to support it and wrestling it in by hand. I'm scared to ever do this :(