PDA

View Full Version : i need help installing head unit

element240
02-13-2004, 04:30 PM
ok, i went and bought a wiring harness for my 95 240sx and my alpine head unit.
i didn't have wire connectors so i just hard wired them to the headunit..
ok well i didn't disconnect the negative battery terminal kuz i was lazy and as i finished wiring, i didn't wrap the wires in shrink wrap or electrical tape yet kuz i wanted to see if it would work first... well, it lit up and the antennae motor was working,but no music was coming out of the speakers, and then i think some wires touched and now the head unit doesnt work or light up.. i think i skrewed up my power antennae too, not that it wasn't junk in the first place, the motor would run, but the antenna never went up or down.. i think
some fuses are blown, i'll have to check tomorrow since it's getting dark.
and while im at it, im going to solder the connections for the headunit and wiring harness tonight.

but i noticed this plug for the stock radio that has 2 small prongs ,it looks like a wall outlet plug... it doesn't fit into the back of my alpine one.. what should i do? when i had the cd player lit up, it didn't play music and i dunno why either... can anybody help me out?

uiuc240
02-13-2004, 08:34 PM
you need an adaptor for that two prong plug. it's your antenna wire, which also serves as a ground. you can get them at any radio store.

Eric

raging panda
02-13-2004, 09:00 PM
if some wires did touch, you may a shorted out your deck and ruined it. I didn't have any problems installing my deck, its really easy just match up all the colors.

On the issue of the sound coming out, I've heard that overpowering decks will blow out the stock amps that power the speakers. I hear this from my friends who install decks (i work at best buy) they say its a bitch to bypass the amps and they hate doing it. So, if you have a high powered deck, you may have blown those amps and that is why no sound is coming out.

element240
02-13-2004, 09:19 PM
thanks for your reply's... im going to go see if i can get an adapter for the antennae plug....
where is the stock amp for the 240? how do i bypass it? do i just cut the speaker wires and bypass the amp that way?

breakmorsticks
02-13-2004, 11:40 PM
yeah...wires touching doesn't sound good. I would get the head unit checked. Most pawn shops should be able to test decks pretty easily. Not sure if its the easiest way to bypass the factory amp but you could just run new speaker wires. May be kinda annoying, but it'll get the job done.

element240
02-14-2004, 04:19 PM
fixed the problem..
i found 2 blown fuses , one was the "electron batt(something like that)" and the other was "12v"

had to run to autozone and pick up 7.5amp fuse for one of em..

oh yea, and i didn't hook up that wall-outlet looking plug , i guess it's for the antenna ... still works without it though, only play's cd's now but i never listen to the radio anyways.

SR20DETpwr
02-14-2004, 05:22 PM
I know some people won't agree w/ this because it isn't NEEDED to install the radio since it comes w/ a wiring harness anyways. When I bought my kenwood cd player from Circuit City I also just purchased a seperate harness for $20 that plugs into the back of the radio and the vehicle's harness w/out having to cut and splice any wires. Install = 5-10 minutes.

Zoom8112
02-14-2004, 08:56 PM
I know some people won't agree w/ this because it isn't NEEDED to install the radio since it comes w/ a wiring harness anyways. When I bought my kenwood cd player from Circuit City I also just purchased a seperate harness for $20 that plugs into the back of the radio and the vehicle's harness w/out having to cut and splice any wires. Install = 5-10 minutes.

same here. i bought an alpine 9811 last week and installed it no problem with the wiring harnesses, but i got a defective unit. so when i replaced it - i just had cc install it

anyhow, wiring harnesses make things so much easier