PDA

View Full Version : spring rate streetablity...???

formeRiceR
02-13-2004, 01:05 PM
so I just put on my coilovers (HKS hypermax-II), it's way too stiff I have to change my springs. I was wondering what are some good spring rate setups, something that is decently stiff, but not stiff to the point where my kidneys hurt.

Also keep in mind I live in Boston, we have the crappiest roads...

PANDA
02-13-2004, 01:13 PM
9k 7k...:)

Var
02-13-2004, 01:28 PM
what are the rates for those springs that you are using now?

formeRiceR
02-13-2004, 01:48 PM
8K in front
5K in Back

Also will my ride quility get bettter with more chaissis stiffening or will it get worst?

Var
02-13-2004, 01:55 PM
i'm running 6.7k/5.5k with AGX and it's pretty fucked up for streets, but o well.

surprisingly front pillow ball mounts made the ride better.

my roll cage made a difference kinda, but not too much in the way of comfort so dont count on it.

does your car underteer at all with 8K in the front? that's pretty stiff. I'd go for like 20%softer all around or 30% i dont know how bad the roads are over there.

GonadSX
02-13-2004, 03:11 PM
I will have 7/5 D2 coilovers (yea, not exactly the dope sh*t like Tein but oh well, took
the risk in trying it out).

It will go on my daily driver. Amongst other things are bushings upgrade and swaybars.
Can't wait to feel how it handles. :)

DuffMan
02-13-2004, 03:19 PM
6kg/mm seems like a good compromise. I have been driving arround on 8/6 for a while and its not that the stiffness is unbearable. It's more that it doesnt seem to help the car handle any better, unless the road is perfect. Little cracks and stuff throw off your traction.

JasonNagra
02-13-2004, 03:38 PM
8k/6k on my HE's is VERY streetable. It must be because of the valving that the HKS units are so much stiffer. Have you turned the damper to its softest setting yet??

Halz
02-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Spring rate choices with the same bias you currently have are:

7kg and 4kg or
6kg and 3kg or
5kg and 2kg

As the number decends, the spring will be more compliant on bumpy roads! ...So how bumpy of a road are we talking here? Bumpy-bumpy? Or Bumpy-BUMPY-bumpy?!

If they're Bumpy-BUMPY-bumpy, its very obvious you should go with 2kg at each corner

FallbrookS13
02-13-2004, 06:38 PM
naaa that cant be too stiff. my he's are 8 and 6 and its fine for street.

FallbrookS13
02-13-2004, 06:39 PM
you going to wish you kept those springs when you hit the track

AceInHole
02-13-2004, 08:16 PM
naaa that cant be too stiff. my he's are 8 and 6 and its fine for street.

I keep hearing that HE's are soft compared to other coilovers. I've heard some say that some 6/5 (IIRC it was the Apexi setup) setups feel stiffer than the HE's.

ICKY
02-13-2004, 10:21 PM
If you think boston roads are bad, go to detroit. me and the family went there in a pontiac trans am, this car didnt make the slightest bit of noise. but when we came back, everything from the suspention to the seat belts were squeakin.

JasonNagra
02-13-2004, 11:06 PM
I keep hearing that HE's are soft compared to other coilovers. I've heard some say that some 6/5 (IIRC it was the Apexi setup) setups feel stiffer than the HE's.

You are 100% right. Its all about valving and shock design.

kambob
02-16-2004, 01:24 PM
If you think boston roads are bad, go to detroit. me and the family went there in a pontiac trans am, this car didnt make the slightest bit of noise. but when we came back, everything from the suspention to the seat belts were squeakin.

You have no I idea the roads or so bad that you have to have a jeep just to get a round. like me :down:

detroit roads = oof road madness :smash:

ridebmx
02-16-2004, 05:20 PM
12k front 10k rear, me driving in town "where did i put those extra kidneys" but i live in a very rural area with many nice hardly populated country roads, my whole county is 37000 people, so yeah its small here, your roads must be really shitty, becuase i dont even complain with my rates, i just dont drive around town. problem solved

Salty_X
02-16-2004, 06:01 PM
12k front 10k rear, me driving in town "where did i put those extra kidneys" but i live in a very rural area with many nice hardly populated country roads, my whole county is 37000 people, so yeah its small here, your roads must be really shitty, becuase i dont even complain with my rates, i just dont drive around town. problem solved
12/10? Do you have GP Sports coilovers? Those are the only ones I know of with those rates...

I'm guessing you go to MTU (or Finlandia). Did you just start this year? I went there last year and never saw any 240s. You're right though all the out-of-town roads are nice and smooth. I wanted to take my car up that curvy highway towards Lake Superior, but it was sitting in the garage back in California while I was there. :ughd:

formeRiceR
02-16-2004, 10:02 PM
this question is for your suspension gurus, is there a BIG difference between 8KG and 6 KG (or 5 KG), I actually like the way the back feels with it's 5KG. I want to make the front less stiffer, so I'm thinking about lowering the rate to 6 KG or 5KG, you think it'll health with my kidney problems.

Twinturbozs
02-17-2004, 01:14 AM
this question is for your suspension gurus, is there a BIG difference between 8KG and 6 KG (or 5 KG), I actually like the way the back feels with it's 5KG. I want to make the front less stiffer, so I'm thinking about lowering the rate to 6 KG or 5KG, you think it'll health with my kidney problems.

you should consider, how much time do you spend on the track? personally i would prefer a softer susp and sacrifice 1-2 secs of laptime for a more pleasure and compliant 20-30 minute ride everyday. on smooth ass freeways or rural areas, a 8k may be perfect, but in the city, a softer ride really is the better choice.

Var
02-17-2004, 09:49 AM

hell ya. the rear needs to be that stiff on the s13. it helps the car turn in better. i run 6.7K/5.5K. if i were you i'd go down to 6K in the front. it will make the car handle better and it will be more comfortable

ridebmx
02-17-2004, 11:18 AM
hey, im surprised you never seen me here, but i never am near tech campus, and if you were here last year i drove my car maybe 3 months of the time your were hear, early fall and earlyspring, it was stored in the winter. I goto finlandia, second year, but i have lived in houghton all my life. oh yeah they are the gp sports, i wanna get some different ones one of these days, wheels, brakes and motor, then some different ones that have more adjust.

cowbomb
02-17-2004, 02:45 PM
8 and 6 is good for me

sykikchimp
02-17-2004, 02:55 PM
I will be running:
6K F 5K R for street. 8K F 6K R track

6/5 will work well for you. SCC reported a much more compliant ride, and better grip on rough street surfaces with 6/5 setup with FLT-A2's. I've read that the HKS dampers are very much like the FLT-A2's. Given that I would assume they woud react very similarly.

Flybert
02-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Apexi N1 Pro on softest settings with 8/6 are downright comfortable. When they are on the stiff setting, they will jar your brains out. Love em' to death.

formeRiceR
02-18-2004, 03:55 AM
I will be running:
6K F 5K R for street. 8K F 6K R track

6/5 will work well for you. SCC reported a much more compliant ride, and better grip on rough street surfaces with 6/5 setup with FLT-A2's. I've read that the HKS dampers are very much like the FLT-A2's. Given that I would assume they woud react very similarly.

was this for the S13 or the S14, I have an S14

Thanks.

KyoLo
02-18-2004, 05:16 AM
:faint: i'm on default setting already jar my brains and bones off.......everytime goes over a bump sounds like the car is breaking or something..... need to get my quick adjusters ASAP..it has been 6 WEEKS!!! still haven't got it. :wtc:
Apexi N1 Pro on softest settings with 8/6 are downright comfortable. When they are on the stiff setting, they will jar your brains out. Love em' to death.

sykikchimp
02-18-2004, 07:57 AM
was this for the S13 or the S14, I have an S14

Thanks.

doesn't really matter. S14 is a little heavier, so the ride would be a touch softer in an s14 with those rates than an S13.

fastpace
02-18-2004, 08:42 AM
they tein he's are nice in rural areas, but whenever I go to houston I must prepare myself for hell. Houston roads really suck and I feel like sh!t whenever I am finish driving. I have to admit, the ride smoothness did get stiffer though to the subframe spacers.