PDA

View Full Version : 95 s14 ka check engine light issues

PushinInk
06-04-2012, 12:03 AM
First off Hello everyone, My names mark, Im from ohio, I just bought my first 240sx se for $1200 wrecked and needing work. It was in a light accident and needed fenders hood core support headlight, bumpers, trunk wont shut etc, I fixed all that I plan to on the body and got it halfway straight. I was driving it normally and all the sudden it starts running rough(but no CEL). I went to the parts store and put fuel injector cleaner in it and got a new fuel filter hoping thats all it would take to solve. Well needless to say, start it up, same problem! After doing more research come to find out the CEL bulb was burnt out on my dash, so I pulled the codes from the computer and this is what I got:
code 25 IACV valve (for idle control, which im not worried about)
code 34 knock sensor
code 68 cylinder 1 misfire
code 77 for rear o2 sensor
Now the knock sensor worried me a bit, So I bought a new knock sensor and let me tell ya that thing is in a PITA of a place to get to. So I get the old knock sensor out, being lazy I just temporarily bolted my new knock sensor to the core support to see if it would change anything. It did not, and it still throws a code for knock sensor?! so wtf?! bad computer maybe? I still have the cyl misfire code to deal with as well, the ngk plugs look ok, a little white like its running lean but not to terribly bad. could it be an injector? I would guess if it was the coil it would do it on all cylinders. It doesnt misfire all the time, seems to do it more the longer you drive it, but sometimes it clears up and goes and other times it will bog down and sound like an awful subaru. It does it at all Rpm ranges at total random. I also have lots of front end suspension issues but thats another thread entirely. can anyone shed some light on any of all this mess I got myself into for me? I cant wait to actually drive/drift the damn thing. and yes Ive already searched this site google and other car sites.

PushinInk
06-04-2012, 11:05 AM
60 views and no one knows anything?!

Promise Land
06-04-2012, 11:58 AM
is your car OBD1 or OBD2?

PushinInk
06-04-2012, 10:30 PM
obd 1, I pulled the codes myself accessing the ecu, I dont see what this matters?

s14>integra
06-04-2012, 11:09 PM
First off, put your knock sensor where it goes. There's a reason it's supposed to be bolted to your block. Whit plugs aren't to bad, especially if you are stock. i wouldn't be worried about that. you probably have a misfire because your knock sensor went off and your car retards the timing to save the motor. but since you just put your knock sensor on your rad it's probably still thinking it has a rod knock and still messing with your timing and causing you to misfire.

I think you might want to look up how a knock sensor works. It looks like it's the cause of all your codes. Sometimes just a weird vibration from driving can mess with your knock sensor.

Also if you have a code reader you should leave it plugged in and watch when it throws a code for a knock sensor. If it throws the code when your car starts to bog down then BINGO, you found the problem.

Promise Land
06-05-2012, 08:44 PM
My car is also OBD1 and I asked is because I was/am also fighting the code 77 and code 34, but mix that with a code 105. I found that the hose between the EGR valve and EGR-BPT valve was crappy on mine and I replaced it over the weekend. Today while driving my car I didn't get the dreaded CEL, so possibly the simple hose was my problem.

Yours could be similar, or it could be completely different. If you suspect one injector is the problem, perhaps change them around to isolate it.

PushinInk
06-10-2012, 11:07 PM
just an update, I got rid of the hesitation issue for now at leat, put new plugs in it, and replaced a spark plug wire that wouldnt stay on tight. I also put the knock sensor back on right, but still throwing a code for the sensor. It seems to run just fine though. I still throw all the same codes (even the misfire) so I guess ima just run it til she blows is the plan at this point