PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how Rays Engineering (Volk etc) finishes their wheels?

mike13
02-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Anyone know what process they use for their colored wheels- specifically bronze? The finishes are soooo sick.

shoes59
02-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Anyone know what process they use for their colored wheels- specifically bronze? The finishes are soooo sick.
Powder coated.

holisticbeatz
02-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Home Depot Special

adey
02-12-2004, 08:06 PM
I have no idea.. but fwiw it's probably pretty fancy; Mackin (us importer for volk) say that they can't be re-finished... i.e. there's probably some sort of ionizing (whatever it is) process going on -- not too unlike how they paint cars from the factory, I think.
Don't quote me on that though. :d

FRpilot
02-13-2004, 12:16 AM
I have no idea.. but fwiw it's probably pretty fancy; Mackin (us importer for volk) say that they can't be re-finished... i.e. there's probably some sort of ionizing (whatever it is) process going on -- not too unlike how they paint cars from the factory, I think.
Don't quote me on that though. :d

actually. i have bronze te37s and they dont appear to be powdercoat. its probalby what adey mentioend above. anodized. i thought it was suppose to look super glossy at first w/ powdercoat and thought i got knock offs but the bronze is on the wheel already. i dont know about the other colors like gunmetal or white. those appear to be powdercoated but i haven't seen them myself so i wouldn't know..

DRFT
02-13-2004, 12:33 AM
pics please

FRpilot
02-13-2004, 12:56 AM
pics please

no pics. sorry.

old_s13
02-13-2004, 01:48 AM
they definately arent powdercoated, thats for sure. wheels are typically either painted or in this case, anodized.

- mike

shoes59
02-13-2004, 07:54 AM
I have no idea.. but fwiw it's probably pretty fancy; Mackin (us importer for volk) say that they can't be re-finished...
Not true. I had a local powder coater strip my TE-37's and PC them Spartan Bronze. I was told the old finish is indeed powder coating with a clear applied over the top. My wheels now look as good or better than the original finish.

old_s13
02-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Not true. I had a local powder coater strip my TE-37's and PC them Spartan Bronze. I was told the old finish is indeed powder coating with a clear applied over the top. My wheels now look as good or better than the original finish.

its not powdercoated.

scratch a volk wheel and you will not see plastic strip off. Powdercoating is very plasticy. They are anodized.

- Mike

S14DriftR
02-13-2004, 10:14 PM
They can be re-finished, my rays mesh rims were re-finished and polished by volk , not sure how they color them though.

adey
02-14-2004, 02:19 PM
good gosh, how much did that cost you?!
The impression that I'm under is that the old school Rays/Volk wheels are NOT finished in the same manner as their new(er) wheels... I'd like to hear something from anyone who's tried to send their CE28Ns or TE37s (or any other "new" wheel) back to Volk for re-painting/finishing.

S14DriftR
02-16-2004, 04:36 PM
I am not sure of the price, the guy i bought them from had it done before he sold them, they look really nice though