PDA

View Full Version : Tension Rod Caster Adjustment

Matt_240
02-12-2004, 01:47 AM
I just bought spl parts tension rods. im gonna install them on monday but i still dont know how to adjust caster to a specific degree. id like to make it around -8 deg caster and i know on our 240 its around -6~7.3. when i install them im gonna match them up to my stock ones but then what? how do i know how far to adjust them to get around -8?

one more question. i got tein tie rods but i didnt get the spacer. so i bought 2 washers from homedepot. do you guys see any problem in using these two washers instead of the spacer? the spacer is supposedly 6mm thick and the two washers are about that size. and also, did you guys grease the tension rods and tie rods? sorry for the noob questions. thanks

PANDA
02-12-2004, 02:04 AM
i didn't grease my tension rods before install...and i took mine to an alignment shop to get it perfect...i had it close but eyeballing somethin like caster is super hard...most likely your car will pull a slight bit to one side or the other after install...i needed an alignment anyway...set it at -7.8 on both sides...love it..:)..good luck..

Flybert
02-12-2004, 02:55 AM
Yeah, just go get an alignment and set it to 8. As for the washers for spacers, it should be fine.

KiDyNomiTe
02-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Go to a place that offers lifetime alignments. I know Firestone does, something like 139.99 and depending on the guys that work there they should be able to do any setting you tell them as long as you have adjustable rods and arms.

Just make sure your car fits on the lift. You can do it with coils depending on how low it is, but you might have to raise it if it is really slammed.

DuffMan
02-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Buy a camber gauge and do it yourself. Its a good investment.

Matt_240
02-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Buy a camber gauge and do it yourself. Its a good investment.

camber gauge? ok, i'll look into it. otherwise, everyone else got theirs adjusted to -8deg. at the shop? do the shops use a camber gauge to measure caster?

PANDA
02-12-2004, 03:32 PM
they use lazer adjustment...VERY accurate..

just get it done...they can also set your camber for you...your toe front and rear..and then your caster...

it's more then worth it..

DuffMan
02-12-2004, 03:38 PM
camber gauge? ok, i'll look into it. otherwise, everyone else got theirs adjusted to -8deg. at the shop? do the shops use a camber gauge to measure caster?

Shops generally measure the camber at different steering angles, and then use a computer to mathematicly forumlate the front to back angle of the steering axis.

If you wanted you could look in a FSM to find the steering angle that corresponds to x amount of steering wheel rotation, and use the position of the steering wheel and a measured camber value to determine approximately the actual caster. That would involve a lot of math though and I hate math.

What I would do would measure the camber at full lock and 1 360 degree rotation of the steering wheel on the stock tc rods. Then install the aftermarket ones and shoot for 1 to 2 degree increase in the camber at the same steering position. The important thing about caster is that both wheels need to be equal. Try different settings and see what you like best.

The nice thing about doing it this way is that you can try different settings without shelling out more $$ for a shop to realign. The downside is that a bubble gauge is not as precise as the expensive equipment a shop has.

In my mind the benefit of adjustablity and cost savings totally outweighs the small loss in precision.