PDA

View Full Version : need guidance auto-xing in the summer

psychedelicbeats
02-11-2004, 08:16 PM
i'd like to auto-x, but i have school and all of this shit going on right now so i'm waiting until summer. right now, i'm just wanting in for the experience so i'm not a mod whore yet. i'm pretty sure ka's can handle it all day and all night. i just want to work on how suspension is being "worked" at an auto-x so i can tweak a little here and there and just get used to the routine. i dont plan on driving a manual out there (staying at gear 2 with AT) so i hope this is a good learning experience for me. i'll be having two sets of SE wheels out there and no engine mods, and i will be having a suspension setup by the start of summer. i honestly want a responsive experience, so i was wondering where should i start on suspension... spring/shock? coilovers? replace sways? new tie rods? strut bars? etc etc.... i'd like a layout of how you all worked on this process... where to start and all. someone referred me to PDM's parts for the suspension mods.

MovinUp-1
02-11-2004, 08:23 PM
May I suggest you start by just going to the events and running what you have? Autocrosses are only on a Sunday so if you can spare a sunday once or twice a month why wait until summer?

Look over your car for anything that is worn out (bushings, shocks, brake pads, lines, fluid, tires) and make sure your car will pass tech by having the battery secure and all lug nuts and studs present. Then go have fun. You'll be sorry if you wait till summer. :)

psychedelicbeats
02-12-2004, 02:13 AM
May I suggest you start by just going to the events and running what you have? Autocrosses are only on a Sunday so if you can spare a sunday once or twice a month why wait until summer?

Look over your car for anything that is worn out (bushings, shocks, brake pads, lines, fluid, tires) and make sure your car will pass tech by having the battery secure and all lug nuts and studs present. Then go have fun. You'll be sorry if you wait till summer. :)

i heard practice runs are on saturday and auto-x day is on sunday and you only get 3 runs =\ . i've kept my car up to date. i've done my own servicing to my car and so far so good. just the camber and toe adjustment that i need to take care of right now. to be honest, if i ran with the suspension that i have, it'd be a pitfall from then on. i'd rather take precautions than start to tear up the shit

MovinUp-1
02-12-2004, 06:18 AM
If your suspension is in good working order you are not going to tear it up by autocrossing. You won't get anywhere near to overtaxing your suspension with street tires.

I know a lot of people that want to get started autocrossing think they have to make a lot of upgrades to their suspension before they even attend an event. Nothing could be further from the truth. I've been doing this stuff for 9 years. I've raced at nationals three times, I've been my local region's executive officer, ran novice programs, won state championships, etc. I've seen a LOT of people both new and experienced at a lot of autocrosses. Trust me, you'll be fine. Go have fun. Get in touch with your local region. Get their event calendar. Ask them about a novice program or novice driving school. All waiting will do is make you miss some events. :)

DS 240R
02-12-2004, 10:02 AM
I know a lot of people that want to get started autocrossing think they have to make a lot of upgrades to their suspension before they even attend an event. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Allen is exactly right. Besides, no amount of go-fast parts you put on your car is going to make you a better driver. Just go out and watch the pros in the stock classes and see how fast they go!

balmo
02-14-2004, 01:06 AM
i heard practice runs are on saturday and auto-x day is on sunday and you only get 3 runs =\ . i've kept my car up to date. i've done my own servicing to my car and so far so good. just the camber and toe adjustment that i need to take care of right now. to be honest, if i ran with the suspension that i have, it'd be a pitfall from then on. i'd rather take precautions than start to tear up the shit

there are no practice runs on sat. you just get your 3 runs usually on a sunday. if time permits, there will be a free run at the end of the day.

DSC
02-14-2004, 12:59 PM
3 runs? :( :(
around here you get 4-6

MovinUp-1
02-14-2004, 05:02 PM
We usually do 4 runs in my region too. I know a lot of the California regions are so big that they have to require that you join the region before attending. Even with that they still have over 200 cars at a regional!!

Rennen
02-14-2004, 06:17 PM
As someone who just started autocrossing last year, I might be able to lend some advice also.

I would suggest leaving the car stock for the first year. With the car stock you don't have to worry about things like dampener settings and alignment settings and just focus on your driving. It's easier to learn on a car that isn't changing all the time. A stock car will also teach you more about driving a smooth line and shifting weight, I learned a lot about understeer because of entering a corner too fast during my first few events :)

Only 3 runs will be rough on a beginner. I would suggest looking up some local autoX schools to get some more seat time. One of the 3 regions I autocross at only runs 3 runs, at the others I can get 5-9 runs. Maybe its because I have the learning curve of an LD child, but it took me about 3 runs to get comfortable with the course, then I could experiment with my braking points and throttle inputs during later runs. It will also be beneficial to enter your region's novice program, or get veterans to ride along or even drive your car to get some constructive criticism.

Most of all, have fun.

-Matt