PDA

View Full Version : Help.....car not starting

DRFT_DREAM
02-11-2004, 08:10 PM
I thought it was a dead battery and i changed it to new ones...it is a 1995 240sx automatic... but after changing the dead battery to a new one, it still requires a jump start from my friends car to start it....when i turn the key to ON it shows all the normal thing, but when i crank it the lights will dim out and i cant even hear my car cranking..

do u think its the starter or alternator problem? and one more thing my friend accidently drop a wrench between the batteries terminal for 3 seconds which made my car died out before....pls advise....

i jump start the car and run an ecu diagnosis...it gave a code 55 which seems everything is ok....pls help all.....

desperate

TheTicTac
02-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Have you checked the battery cables, see if it is corroded.

Bone
02-11-2004, 09:25 PM
To me it sounds like a starter problem. Like its armature is needing more juice to turn the motor over. That would be why the 12 volts wont turn it over but 24 will. I would start with the starter. Take it off and take it to idiotzone oops meant autozone or some parts store and they can check it for you. IMO

WHOOOO 50th post LMAO

mutkung
02-11-2004, 10:47 PM
try to check on the starter. that's the strongest possiblity
I had the same problem before.

mistaanime
02-11-2004, 11:18 PM
yea like they said..it could be the starter..

sanmiam
02-12-2004, 12:19 AM
try having a buddy crank the car while you hit the starter with a blunt object (breaker bar or tire iron). Starter is located low in the engine on the passenger side (4" wide cylinder next to the tranny). If it sounds less reluctant to start, or turns over completely it is definately the starter (probably 150 bucks and an hour or two to replace yourself) Otherwise I would say aternater, but this sounds very similar to when my starter went out........

P.S. just for reference, jumping a car will not give it 24 volts, just a whole rack of cold cranking amps

DRFT_DREAM
02-12-2004, 05:47 AM
wow thanks for all your advise.........i tried to leave it on for 6 hours.and it starts but slowly cranking it...thanks for the details as well...i really appreciate it....

so advise is to replace the starter soon?....

DudeYourSoOOJDM
02-12-2004, 02:50 PM
a starter problem would not likely have anything to do with your lights dimming during cranking

the dimming could be attributed to a dead battery or bad alternator which in turn killed your battery.

Unless your lights in the dash go out when you crank(normal). A bad starter will not crank at all, or make a small click then die.

However, if your alternator is dead....your car will use all the power from your battery, even a new one.

If you have an autozone around, they do charging system checks for free.

DRFT_DREAM
02-12-2004, 03:00 PM
i think its the starter cause i unplug the negative terminals of the batteries and it still runs perfectly.

the lights didnt dim away but it went off instead , sorry for the confusion......and i got new batteries last week its Die Hard Gold

i appreciate all the help and advise provided.thanks all.

and it did click click when the key is at ON then i thought it was the relay and i went to nissan to get a new one, the clicking is gone now..but i havent replace the starter yet....how much is a price for one?

DRFT_DREAM
02-14-2004, 07:30 PM
help people....i brought it to be inspected....its neither the alternator or starter.....damn

what else could drain the battery in one night ?