PDA

View Full Version : removing shift knob

Zing
02-11-2004, 10:56 AM
hi all, did you guys have any trouble while unscrewing the OEM shift knob, it's a pain in the ass for mine. did u use any kind of special tools to remove it ?
Thx

Var
02-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Ya it's a pain especially if you're the first one to remove it. Vicegrips..it may tear the leather off your knob but :gives:

thx247
02-11-2004, 11:29 AM
On one of my cars they used locktite to secure the knob. That one was sorta difficult to get off, but it came off just like the others.

Depending on what type of knob you have:

Leather knob, just grab it with your hands and turn to the left. If you can't do it find someone stronger to do it. It will come off without tools.

If its the stock plastic knob it may be too slippery to remove using your hands, you can either use a latex glove or something rubber to wrap around it to get more grip.

All the knobs will come out, unless you really don't like the stock knob I would try to atleast save it by not using tools.

Modern Angel
02-11-2004, 11:32 AM
The fellow who owned my 240 before me put on an imitation Type-R shiftknob. The cheap metal on that was a bit hard to use vice grips on without scratching but I just wrapped a shop rag around the knob and then attached the vice grip super tight and it worked.

mistaanime
02-11-2004, 11:48 AM
heh me and mah cousin took the knob off heh..took turns turning the knob cuz it was so tight..i think there is a lil bit of glue...on it....thats kinda the reason y it's hard to twist it.

Var
02-11-2004, 12:16 PM
On one of my cars they used locktite to secure the knob. That one was sorta difficult to get off, but it came off just like the others.

Depending on what type of knob you have:

Leather knob, just grab it with your hands and turn to the left. If you can't do it find someone stronger to do it. It will come off without tools.

If its the stock plastic knob it may be too slippery to remove using your hands, you can either use a latex glove or something rubber to wrap around it to get more grip.

All the knobs will come out, unless you really don't like the stock knob I would try to atleast save it by not using tools.

are you calling me a pussy? :wtc:

i had 3 different ppl try to get it off and we all couldn't do it without the vicegrips. i think it depends on the car.

Flybert
02-11-2004, 01:19 PM
My hands are vicegrips. You bitches need to stop complaining. AHAHAHA.

Var
02-11-2004, 01:36 PM
My hands are vicegrips. You bitches need to stop complaining. AHAHAHA.

:cry: lol you made me cry

Riielle
02-11-2004, 04:58 PM
i DID notice it being a bit hard to take my shiftknob off...and then once you do get it loose, it takes forever to freaking get it off....just turns and turns and turns...

thx247
02-11-2004, 05:49 PM
are you calling me a pussy? :wtc:

i had 3 different ppl try to get it off and we all couldn't do it without the vicegrips. i think it depends on the car.

Girly man. :mepoke:

I suppose its possible that a knob be on that tight, although I have not seen one yet. Doesn't matter really. As long as they come off it doesn't matter how.