PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel shakes only while turning at speed

travypoo
05-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Hey guys, I looked around and didnt really find anything that is similar to the issue I am having.

I own a s13, in a straight line and over bumps ect it drives great, but taking off ramps and any sort of turning the steering wheels shakes a ton. seems to be highway speeds mostly.

Last year I had megan track coils and PBM v1 weld on knuckle kit with no problems at all. This year my new set up consists of:

Fortune auto 510 coils
PBM PRO knuckles
Cor integration passenger side rack spacer with the rack re centered
Ambercrombie modified front sub frame (rack moved forward)
S14 OEM LCA's (Same ball joints from last year)
Tein tie rods (used last year)

Alignment is 0 toe, 6.7 caster, -4.4 camber. wheels and tires are both brand new and balanced. wheel bearing and lugs are trqd properly. loc tite and cotter pins were used where they were needed as well.

Im not sure if maybe the rack being recentered is causing the issue or maybe that spacer is fighting the knuckles somehow...I have went through the car and everything seems tight and proper. If you had any suggestions or pointers that would be really great! Thank a lot guys.

jvega
05-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Rack and pinion maybe?

HPKMotorsports3
05-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Lift your front up and grab your tires at 3&9 and shake back and forth if there is play its your tie rods or possibly rack & pinion are you leaking ps fluid? Also check your brakes

GuardianLlama
05-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Are you running spacers? Hub rings? Check the rear too. I've had problems with the rear shaking the whole car and creating a shimmy. Let me know what you find out.

travypoo
05-21-2012, 09:31 PM
I am running a slide on hub centric 10 mm spacer all around. I have had the car up in the air several times and nothing is loose unfortunately. I heard that the passenger side rack spacer I am using affects akerman. And the pro knuckles already have akerman correction built in. Maybe its causing some issues. But i have had the car out to the track and it feels amazing drifting. Better than it ever has. no shakes at all.... Seems like anything top of third and up it shakes.

travypoo
05-21-2012, 09:43 PM
The rack seems fine and no leaks either ! Just seems odd at the track it drives great but around town and highway driving its terrible. Maybe I will pull off the spacers and see if it makes any difference.

travypoo
05-31-2012, 08:19 PM
So I found a very small amount of play in the inner tie rod on the passenger side. I removed the cor integration rack spacer and installed a new lengthened tein inner rod. Went for a drive and its so Mich worse. Shakes like crazy even at low speeds turning. I have checked and re checked every nut and bolt on the front end. The only thing I can think of now is the rack is recentered and has changed my scrub radius or something is messed up with the akerman. I do have the max pro knuckles so maybe by centering the rack it is causing some sort of scrubbing issue while turning. Even slight inputs it shakes hard. Weird that while drifting at the track there is no shake what so ever lock to lock :s. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!