PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic HeadGasket

BlueMissle sx
05-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Ok so a friend told me these gaskets didn't seal very well.
has anyone ever used one and what were the results leme know please
thanks

s14k
05-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I use them on every build i do never had a problem yet.

BlueMissle sx
05-15-2012, 10:47 AM
I use them on every build i do never had a problem yet.

Nice were the head and block decked?
just curious

GroundPerformance
05-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Nice were the head and block decked?
just curious

Thats actually the requirement if you want it to seal properly.

wangan_cruiser
05-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Thats actually the requirement if you want it to seal properly.

like he said. metal headgasket wont forgive any perfections from the surface. it is adviceable to get the surface milled have a flat surface. if you want it to seal properly you can try to use a copper spray gasket maker and decked it.

Matej
05-15-2012, 12:07 PM
It is for cosmetic purposes only. :)

DrIvEsldEwAyS
05-15-2012, 12:24 PM
never had a problem with the 2 ive used.

BlueMissle sx
05-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Alright thanks guys im gonna check the surface of the head and block..
Not wanting to pull the block just to resurface it, how well does this copper spray seal?
I had a metal head gasket on before replacing because i read shit numbers on compression test.. cyl#1 30.. the other 3 150 just gonna switch gaskets and see if it fixes my problem

R@ddy
05-16-2012, 09:48 AM
I've had 2 cosworths..never resurfaced block, just the head. No problems. (Using copper spray) I actully reused one in my motor and later ended up making 400whp..of course I don't own the car anymore so don't know how the motor is doing.

BlueMissle sx
05-16-2012, 09:52 AM
I've had 2 cosworths..never resurfaced block, just the head. No problems. (Using copper spray) I actully reused one in my motor and later ended up making 400whp..of course I don't own the car anymore so don't know how the motor is doing.

Nice Ive herd good things about cosmetic.. of course after i order a cosmetic..
do you know any difference in the two gaskets like what would make one better than the other

Vadim's13
05-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Haha coSmetic
BTW I don't really care what others may say but u HAVE TO deck ur head if u had any problems with HG...

jumpman2334
05-16-2012, 10:08 AM
isnt it Cometic Gaskets? No 'S'?

BlueMissle sx
05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Ya there's no s and tits ill prolly get that done

fliprayzin240sx
05-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Not wanting to pull the block just to resurface it, how well does this copper spray seal?
I had a metal head gasket on before replacing because i read shit numbers on compression test.. cyl#1 30.. the other 3 150 just gonna switch gaskets and see if it fixes my problem

How sure are you that its a blown HG and not blown piston ring?

brndck
05-16-2012, 07:22 PM

if you have low compression you should have done both a block test and a leakdown test before assuming that its a bad head gasket. you could have burned valve seats or failing piston ring seals causing your poor compression.

Turbo Nismo
05-16-2012, 07:42 PM
To be honest, I've had two cometic head gaskets and both of them were blewn on my KA, but I can't blame them because I never resurfaced the block and I think it also had to do with the tune(timing). Know I resurfaced both and did firerings to the block also. I'm gonna try it for the last time with the cometic if I have problems again then f** it lol. As soon as I finish with my rebuild and retune I'll let you guys know.

mewantkouki
05-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Why are people still buying shitty cometic head gaskets for ka's when cosworth makes mls gaskets for them now..?

Turbo Nismo
05-16-2012, 10:35 PM
I've never tried them. If my cometic fails again I'll try it.

brndck
05-17-2012, 02:59 AM
I've never tried them. If my cometic fails again I'll try it.

To be honest, I've had two cometic head gaskets and both of them were blewn on my KA, but I can't blame them because I never resurfaced the block and I think it also had to do with the tune(timing). Know I resurfaced both and did firerings to the block also. I'm gonna try it for the last time with the cometic if I have problems again then f** it lol. As soon as I finish with my rebuild and retune I'll let you guys know.

Wow you went through all that work and had a cometic fail and then used cometic again??? :(

Turbo Nismo
05-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Because before the first time it happened the car overheated in the break in, but then the car was good and I dynoed it with 33 passes and did 404hp, after that the car was still perfect. Then when I tried in the street draging with two cars from 1st to 4rth gear it blew it. So I though it was by cause of it because after it when I was rebuilding it the head was very bad, so I resurfaced it, but I didn't resurface the block. I finish rebuilding, I break in it, then at dyno when the tuner is working with the timing in one pass it blew it again when reaching 368hp. When I was rebuilding it I noticed that the first pinston had the compresion rings sticked inside it and the rod was purple at the top and the piston had shrunk a lil bit. Non of my friends ever had problems with cometics and they always use them. One of them has a KA-T with 550hp and the other one has an SR with 600hp, and everyone else has high hp also and still no issues.