PDA

View Full Version : IACV homemade gasket?

Jersthecool
05-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Had idling issues when I popped it into neutral it would bog down to like 200 then back up to 1k or whatever it idles at. Decided it was probably my iacv so while my engines out decided to take it off and clean it. So I took it off and didn't even think about a gasket now it's off and ready to go back on but I need the gasket and don't want to wait for them to ship it up here because once I get it back on my engine is pretty much ready to go in. Has anyone cut any kind of material to fit and used that with no problems? If so what did you use?

KiLLeR2001
05-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Use Permatex Ultra Grey.

Jersthecool
05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah that's the other thing is I didn't want to pull the runners off because I don't have the gasket for that so I'm not sure if I can get rtv on it then slide it back in without it scraping off

KiLLeR2001
05-13-2012, 07:37 PM
If you try to half-ass it and take shortcuts you will surely end up with a leak sooner or later, best to take it all off, new gaskets for upper and lower intake plenums and IACV.

Intake Gasket (http://www.frsport.com/Intake-Gasket_c_199.html)

Jersthecool
05-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah I definitely don't like bitching out at all I've already spent almost 6k this winter on everything because I didn't want it to leak or anything like that was looking forward to having it back out soon so I can enjoy it for 4 months or so before it snows again. Hate that it takes like 2 weeks to get parts shipped up here.

2.5T_/<ouki
05-13-2012, 07:58 PM
If you try to half-ass it and take shortcuts you will surely end up with a leak sooner or later, best to take it all off, new gaskets for upper and lower intake plenums and IACV.

Intake Gasket (http://www.frsport.com/Intake-Gasket_c_199.html)

Exactly. Don't half ass it you'll end up doing double the work. Do it right the 1st time and be done.

JasianBlazin
05-13-2012, 07:59 PM
The gasket for the IACV is pretty much paper.
I just used rtv and did my best to slide the iacv back in without smearing any of it off.
Haven't had any problems with idle so far.

Tantwoforty
05-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Use Permatex Ultra Grey.

^>gasket
grey will outlast your engine.
Think about it, nissan uses it around the entire oil pump and it seals fine for like 250k.

Ultra grey has never let me down

g00se
05-14-2012, 02:12 PM
You know whats weird? I recently pulled out the IACV in my s14 (super bitch btw) to clean and just took off the disintegrating paper gasket and just put it on. Runs fine, have a iacv gasket handy just in case but its running pretty normal without it.

S-Nation S13
05-14-2012, 02:30 PM
damn just buy one from the dealer..call it a day and you good.. so now even gaskets we cheap on ..

hartig
05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
i cut my own using some paper gasket stuff from advanced.. works great, you get a whole roll for like $5

S-Nation S13
05-14-2012, 02:53 PM
i cut my own using some paper gasket stuff from advanced.. works great, you get a whole roll for like $5

part numbers should be useful seeing that most individuals will go this route ..just saying

Nikeboy355
05-14-2012, 05:27 PM
The dealer or Autozone... No need to reinvent the wheel...

Both are online as well and will ship to your door...

Jersthecool
05-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah I've been using grey on everything else and it seems pretty good just hope nothing leaks when I fire it up. Don't really like paper gaskets that much and I don't wanna use the old one so I'll use the grey stuff and try not to smear it.