PDA

View Full Version : o2 sensor replacement

Siizzzoooo
02-07-2004, 06:12 PM
BTW this is for S13 Redtop SR

I think its about that time for me, getting 200 miles per tank..lol

You have to put into account that my car doesnt see much road time. Most of the time I drive it 1-2 miles before i park it at where i need to be. I also let the engine warm up for 5-10 minutes before taking off, and of course the 2 minute setting on my turbo timer

I'm experiencing really bad gas mileage, and the strong smell of gas. I have no cat, but a test pipe instead, so no rotton egg smell here.

Is there anything else i should look for before I bite the bullet and spend $100 on an o2 sensor?

I have the skinny type.

I'm also looking for a full replacement, sensor with wires and plug.

I dont want to mess with splicing.

Is it recommended that you get OEM ones or are there aftermarket ones that i can get locally that are just as good as an OEM replacement?

Thanks guys

zero.counter
02-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Here is what I said in another post:

This would be pre-cat or the one sticking out of your exhaust manifold. I would suggest buying the universal bosch O2 Sensor. It will come with the O2 sensor, the heat shrink tube and instructions. Your current O2 Sensor will have the stranded core with the wire insulation. You will need to cut the spade connector off the old O2 sensor leaving about 2 to 3 inches. Strip about 1 inch of the stranded insulation and leave the core intact. Slip the heat shrink tube over the wire sticking out of the new o2 and then place the 1 inch of core from the O.E. connector you cut off into the butt connector on the end of the new O2 sensor. Crimp and pull the heat shrink tube over and heat it (if you dont have the blow gun, use a gas stove or a lighter from about 4-5 inches away and it will deform to fit). Plug it in and torque to spec. Clear the ecu (from behind the passenger kick panel) by turning your car to the accessory on mode and turning the screw counter-clockwise for 2 seconds and then back clock wise. It will blink code 33 (1,2,3..123 the first 3 would blink slow and after the pause, the number of blinks tells you the ones place number). Turn the car on and do the same again (clear the ecu as described above). Leave the car running for about 2 minutes so that the car can send the new O2 info to the ECU. You can drive so that the system will be forced to learn the O2 readings, but the light will blink everythime you rev. Turn the car off and then turn back on. It will now be completely cleared.

Autozone Price
BOSCH UNIVERSAL 11027 3 MO $17.99

kazuo
02-08-2004, 03:28 AM
Are you running atmospheric BOV?

If so there's your problem. Recirculate it.

Redtop SR Sensor, buy 1987 300ZX TT. It's a direct replacement, no splice required. Search woulda turned this one up.

Good luck

TheTicTac
02-08-2004, 04:20 AM
You shouldn't have your timer set to 2min. no need for that.

Siizzzoooo
02-08-2004, 09:32 AM
well, i USED to have my GReddy Type S hooked up atmosperic.

It actually ran great for a few months without any signs of running rich. And i had great gas mileage.

Then, one week it substancially got bad. I just recently put my stock bov back on, and got no results, so I assume it is the o2 sensor.

I havnt run codes yet, its cold outside :p

Var
02-08-2004, 01:35 PM
an o2 sensor shouldnt cost more than 20 or 30 bucks depending on how many wires it has.

Muzzy
02-08-2004, 04:57 PM
ok....who can solve the mystery of the blacktop o2 sensor!!!!!??!?!!
which one is used??
from wut car??

kazuo
02-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Nissan charges like $75 for the sensor.

haha

Anyways your o2 sensor prolly got fouled up from running so rich.

Change the sensor, keep recirculated and watch your gas mileage go up.

it'll run better, period...

Good luck

240Degrees
02-09-2004, 12:55 AM
i bought a Borg Warner oxygen sensor for my KA and it has the connectors in it already, so no need for splicing. I don't know if they make it for the SR20, although I don't see why not unless the fwd and rwd sensors are different, but the sensor only cost me about 30 to not more than 40 bucks.

Var
02-09-2004, 09:27 AM
ok....who can solve the mystery of the blacktop o2 sensor!!!!!??!?!!
which one is used??
from wut car??

count how many wires it has, then buy a bosch generic o2 sensor with the same number of wires

Muzzy
02-09-2004, 11:05 AM
....ok..sounds good i guess..idk

kazuo
02-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Blacktop sensor is a bit more complicated than just finding one with the correct set of wires.. its a different size than the other KA/SR o2 sensors. It's "FAT"

:D

phase2 carries a NTK replacement but I dont know if theyll give you the part #... I believe they are OEM pieces are run the full $75...

KA and SR sensors are different sizes I think. You can use a KA sensor but you'll need the change the connector and the bung in the elbow (pain in the ass unless its out of the car)

Good luck

Siizzzoooo
02-11-2004, 02:53 PM
alright, heres something wierd, i got around to running the codes on my ecu..

on the SR20det ecu, there is an LED next to the screw, that was the only thing blinking in patterns. No dash lights blinked.

I got the pattern 55. 5 Fast blinks, 5 slow blinks.

If i recall correctly, 55 is Normal engine management system operation is indicated

Does that mean everything is fine?

Siizzzoooo
02-13-2004, 09:05 AM
can anyone confirm this?

Muzzy
02-13-2004, 11:05 AM
yea...55 is norm

Siizzzoooo
02-13-2004, 07:28 PM
is it possible that the o2 sensor is still fouled out, but maybe the ecu isnt catching it?

Var
02-14-2004, 02:24 AM
try the engine coolant temperature sensor. get a reading on it if you can..dont look at your guage

Siizzzoooo
02-14-2004, 02:09 PM
where exactly is that on the SR?

DORIMON
02-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Now, I'm in the middle of swapping a redtop into my '95 S14 and I need a new o2 sensor as well since mine came busted up. I have the skinny one and I noticed that there's an o2 sensor of the same size with 3 wires and the same exact plug going into my KA exhaust near the cat, could this be used, or at least temporarily? Also I have the Trust turbo extension elbow that has the adaptor to except the blacktop (fat 02 sensor type) or redtop (skinny o2 sensor type), if I have to would it be okay to run the blacktop o2 sensor on my redtop? Thanks.

Var
02-19-2004, 03:48 PM
i think you can run it if it fits and has the same wires. try it out.

DORIMON
02-23-2004, 02:21 AM
Well, here's the '95 KA and SR o2 sensors lined up next to each other. The KA sensor is a little longer and the wires are little shorter, but they happen to have 3 wires and the same socket as the SR. Again, this KA o2 sensor came from my '95 downpipe.

Siizzzoooo
02-23-2004, 08:52 AM
btw, the 1987 300ZX TT is NOT, i repeat NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT a direct replacement. The plug is different

Var
02-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Well, here's the '95 KA and SR o2 sensors lined up next to each other. The KA sensor is a little longer and the wires are little shorter, but they happen to have 3 wires and the same socket as the SR. Again, this KA o2 sensor came from my '95 downpipe.

i'm 99% sure it will work

Turbozx
02-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Here is the part number for the 87 300ZX Turbo that will replace the skinny redtop

http://www.stillensucks.com/Project_Silvia/o2sensor/87o2sensor.jpg

Here is the part number for the fat blacktop one. The only place that I know that stocks this one is Superior, Puente Hills Nissan in California. Ask Mike Jurado for it. This is the real part replacement and not a substitute one from another Nissan car.

http://www.stillensucks.com/240SX/blacktopo2sensor.jpg

Muzzy
02-23-2004, 11:15 PM
how much is the fat O2 sensor??