PDA

View Full Version : New clutch advice please

SpeedMonkeyInc
02-07-2004, 10:30 AM
I am putting in a new transmission in my S14. The tranny is actually older, but the diffrence is its not broken. While I have the tranny off it makes good sense to replace my old and worn clutch.

Here is my question: Get a whole new ACT street disk and pressure plate kit or just get an OEM replacement disk?

nightwalker
02-07-2004, 12:20 PM
this is a fairly easy question, I'm thinking you don't want to spend the money on an aftermarket clutch and want to see if you can get away with a stock one. Well, if you are looking to make more power, then of course. Do it now, or do it again later. If you are not, and don't drive the car really aggressive, a stock one is fine.

SpeedMonkeyInc
02-07-2004, 12:42 PM
True, I don't want to spend the money right now. No, I won't be making more power with the KA. Yes, I do drive very aggressively. Thats how I broke the tranny in the first place!
I really want to drop in an SR, the only thing is I don't know if I will ever be able to afford that! Not any time soon anyway.
I want the better clutch, but I don't want to spend money on the KA. But seeing how I am stuck with the old iron lump it almost seems reasonable to upgrade it at least a little bit.
As a "drivers tool" will an upgraded pressure plate be worth it? Or should I just stick with the stock unit because it works?
Thanks for any advice.

Bone
02-07-2004, 05:25 PM
I have a stock KA and drive aggressively. I put a new clutch in every 3-6 months. Because Im cheap to.

OEM $100.00 x 3 times a year= Aftermarket clutch price

Through my own ignorance I recommend stepping up to the plate and get the aftermarket Clutch kit.

IMO for what it's worth.

invisibleman
02-07-2004, 08:01 PM
wow what brand of clutch are you putting in for 100 bucks a kit?

Zenki_S14
02-08-2004, 03:33 AM
What's the ideal life-span of an aftermarket street clutch when driven aggressively?

240Stilo
02-08-2004, 03:41 AM
HAHA...I got a $100 clutch too. MAN does it suck. I only got it cuz my parents were paying for it and I didn't want them spending too much. It works well driving as any law abiding citizen should drive, but when you try to push it to the limits you really get what you pay for and it sucks. I'm gonna pick up an ACT as soon as I can gather up some money.

russian
02-08-2004, 07:48 AM
just save and get SPEC stage 2 its great and i abused the shit out of it. get the kit for around 300$, i think its a well worth investment. get a flywheel if you can bare anouther 300 expense.

SpeedMonkeyInc
02-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the advice guysss. I think I will get the kit just because I drive so hard. It will most likely break another tranny, but trannys are cheaper than clutches!