PDA

View Full Version : KA24E Starting Issue

NismoS13Kings
05-11-2012, 03:52 AM
Nissan 240sx KA24E Starting Issue - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaY-JMzXOag)

I have no idea what is wrong now. I just had this motor rebuilt and i have been having problems ever since. heres what i have done:

Replaced battery
Replaced 75a fuse
Starter was tested and passed
got new plugs and wires
new distributer
new fuel pump
replaced E.C.U.

Any ideas will be appreciated

siksyndicate
05-11-2012, 04:21 AM
who rebuilt your motor? Did you make sure you timed it correctly? are you 100% certain your starter and battery is good? - because your lights dimmed and it almost drained your battery only with three tries.

When installing your timing chain, was the cam keyway and crank keyway at 12 o clock? was the #1 piston on its compression stroke? did you try turning your motor manually a few times before you started it for the first time? did you make sure to line up the oil pump and drive shaft correctly?

Spark? Fuel?

lots of questions homie.

do another basic once over. maybe in the morning and not dead at night where you might miss something though. g'luck

NismoS13Kings
05-11-2012, 01:32 PM
who rebuilt your motor? Did you make sure you timed it correctly? are you 100% certain your starter and battery is good? - because your lights dimmed and it almost drained your battery only with three tries.

When installing your timing chain, was the cam keyway and crank keyway at 12 o clock? was the #1 piston on its compression stroke? did you try turning your motor manually a few times before you started it for the first time? did you make sure to line up the oil pump and drive shaft correctly?

Spark? Fuel?

lots of questions homie.

do another basic once over. maybe in the morning and not dead at night where you might miss something though. g'luck

Yea the car is set at TDC and i have my dizzy timing correct. the car was running after the engine rebuild it just did this out of no where. im not too sure how the timing chain and oil pump was installed but im assuming it was done correctly since it was done by a reputable shop here in Tucson. anything i should look for with the oil pump?

NismoS13Kings
05-11-2012, 02:38 PM
UPDATE:

just took my battery and starter to O'rielys and the starter passed all 3 tests but my battery was down to 11 volts. they are charging it now so now i need to find out what is draining the battery. Possibly me trying to get the car to start was draining the battery but maybe it is the alternator? Also on the same part of my wiring harness ive always noticed this:
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy349/Nismos13kings/DSC06544.jpg

the connector on the right plugs into the starter, and the one in the middle is the positive battery cable that goes to the starter, i have no idea where the connector on the left goes. there isnt much length so it must go somewhere in this area but i have no empty connection spots. anybody have an idea?

ultramagnus
05-11-2012, 03:24 PM
that connector to the left looks like a sensor plug that is in the middle of the intake manifold. it hangs down close to the starter and alt harness. it's a pretty long cable so just trace the sensor, it doesn't look like the connector behind the alternator.

siksyndicate
05-11-2012, 04:59 PM
connector on the left may be the one that goes to a sensor for automatic transmissions. Its usually free floating on manuals. get the car started yet?

wangan_cruiser
05-12-2012, 01:46 AM
left connector looks like the one that goes to the alternator and the rest are for the starter

just watched your vid. that looks like a a battery problem. not enough cca or possibly your alternator wasnt charging your battery at all. could be a bad connection somewhere. when you check the battery for proper voltage you should see 12v at least from the battery

where you driving the car then it shuts off on you?

NismoS13Kings
05-12-2012, 01:57 AM
that connector to the left looks like a sensor plug that is in the middle of the intake manifold. it hangs down close to the starter and alt harness. it's a pretty long cable so just trace the sensor, it doesn't look like the connector behind the alternator.

i couldnt find anywhere in the middle of the intake manifold above the starter for anything to plug into. i felt around with my hand and couldnt feel anything either, i dont know.

left connector looks like the one that goes to the alternator and the rest are for the starter

just watched your vid. that looks like a a battery problem. not enough cca or possibly your alternator wasnt charging your battery at all. could be a bad connection somewhere. when you check the battery for proper voltage you should see 12v at least from the battery

where you driving the car then it shuts off on you?

yea the cca was 11 volts, pretty low. the battery is fully charged now but will not turn over. i have a plug already plugged into the alternator, so i have no idea where this one goes to. when i was driving the car, all was fine except for it felt pretty underpowered. its a fresh rebuild so i havent been hard on it at all for the 10 miles of driven it. ive never had a single cam before so im not sure how underpowered they feel compared to a dual cam or sr that ive owned, but it felt like something was wrong. im not sure if my timing was set mechanically but my dizzy was not tightened down and i drove it like that unknowingly. so i replaced the dizzy with another and set my motor at tdc and set the timing on the dizzy and nothing. i replaced the fuel pump thinking that was the problem but still no start. i replaced the ecu and still no start. im stumped.

NismoS13Kings
05-12-2012, 02:00 AM
well heres the second video of what my car is doing. I have a fully charged battery, a working starter, new fuel pump, another ecu, another dizzy, my motor is set at tdc and my dizzy timing is correct:

Nissan 240sx No Start 2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Z5ueUkGzw&feature=youtu.be)

i work evenings so i can only mess with my car at night. i tried getting codes from my ecu but cant seem to get it to give me any when i adjust the screw. i have my ignition set to accesories but i dont get any lights on the ecu. is that because there is no problem the ecu detects or is it because the ecu is bad?

siksyndicate
05-12-2012, 02:20 AM
when I had problems starting mine after a fresh rebuild, the oil pump drive gear was off by 1 tooth and it prevented the motor from turning over....you may think you having the timing correct but set the motor at TDC on the compression stroke.. take the cap off to look at the rotor...it should be at the #1 spark plug location... if not, you will need to pull the dizzy, remove the oil pump and drive gear and reinsert it correctly, there are two dots, one on the oil pump and one on the drive gear that need to line up before insertion. if your car WAS running and you messed with the dizzy, this could be the prob.....

NismoS13Kings
05-12-2012, 02:28 AM
when I had problems starting mine after a fresh rebuild, the oil pump drive gear was off by 1 tooth and it prevented the motor from turning over....you may think you having the timing correct but set the motor at TDC on the compression stroke.. take the cap off to look at the rotor...it should be at the #1 spark plug location... if not, you will need to pull the dizzy, remove the oil pump and drive gear and reinsert it correctly, there are two dots, one on the oil pump and one on the drive gear that need to line up before insertion. if your car WAS running and you messed with the dizzy, this could be the prob.....

yea i only adjusted the dizzy after the car died out of no where. i was assuming my timing was off and that i drove the car that way thus causing it to die.

lbogkush
05-12-2012, 04:37 AM
idk but might be fuel i dont hear fuel pump
try taking off fuel line that runs to the fuel rail
start car and see if gas comes out then
shut off quick before gas spills everywhere
if gas doesnt come out then its something with fuel
idk might help and do u have a kill switch?

NismoS13Kings
05-12-2012, 06:00 AM
idk but might be fuel i dont hear fuel pump
try taking off fuel line that runs to the fuel rail
start car and see if gas comes out then
shut off quick before gas spills everywhere
if gas doesnt come out then its something with fuel
idk might help and do u have a kill switch?

yea i shall try this. i had a feeling it might be fuel thats why i bought the fuel pump. no i dont have a kill switch just a aftermarket alarm.

NismoS13Kings
05-12-2012, 08:56 AM
yea just popped off my fuel line this morning and no fuel is going through. i just replaced the fuel pump so maybe its a fuse?

lbogkush
05-12-2012, 02:24 PM
yea just popped off my fuel line this morning and no fuel is going through. i just replaced the fuel pump so maybe its a fuse?

yea if no fuel coming out is 2 things fuel relay or fuel pump check both and maybe check your fuel fiter
sry i didnt mention this eailer but make sure u have somebody else start the car while u look at the fuel line to see if gas comes out

NismoS13Kings
05-12-2012, 07:18 PM
yea if no fuel coming out is 2 things fuel relay or fuel pump check both and maybe check your fuel fiter
sry i didnt mention this eailer but make sure u have somebody else start the car while u look at the fuel line to see if gas comes out

yea turned out my 25a engine cont. fuse was blown. i put a piece of speaker wire on it and i could hear the fuel pump.