PDA

View Full Version : DIY Zenki S14 Projector

Maeda
02-06-2004, 03:29 PM
OK, so while looking at the hella sight some I found that they make 90mm projector light modules.

Hella 90mm Module Info (http://www.hellausa.com/maineng/NewLook/ProdServ/perflighting/90mm_module.html)

I think if I cut out the low beam section of the zenki head light I can fit a 90mm module into it.

I'm thinking about copying the lense of the zenki headlight with a clay model and vaccuforming 1/16inch clear arcylic over it to create a clear cover for the projector unit, so the beam pattern isn't destroyed on the fluted lense.

I think this will make better light then the stock units (h9 bulbs have a higher lumen output then h4 bulbs)... Anybody else with ideas? suggestions?

EDIT: If i had LOTS of extra bucks for research I could try the HID versions of the 90mm modules

West
02-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Its worth a shot, going to cost a pretty penny to get done right. IMO the stock lighting is excellent.

240mowth was going to test fit those same projectors in a simular sealed beam setup for the s13 but the cost was to high.

What ever happened to OBX's projector headlights for the s14?

Maeda
02-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Why will it cost that much? I can 'borrow' the vaccuum machine at school. ;)

1/16 acrylic sheets arn't too pricey... the only expensive part is the hella units themselves.

What ran 240meowth over budget?

240trainee
02-06-2004, 09:23 PM
If you have a S13, it might be cool to use the C-west light kit, and use these light instead of normal circle ones. That would make the conversion cool, IMO

240trainee
02-06-2004, 09:24 PM
http://www.importfan.com/product.asp?0=0&1=0&3=5244

here's what I meant

HyperTek
02-07-2004, 02:12 AM
C-west is not C-wings. The Importfan item is just the housing that lets you run whatever projecter system you want.

Brolewigi
02-07-2004, 07:12 AM
I would make a mock up of the headlight assembly first.
Dissassemble the headlights and make a wooden mold of the basic shape of the headlights, then mold the features using silicone. This is a prototyping technique that is used where I work. It yields great results in smaller jobs where few parts are shot. I think the hard part in making this would be to get the reflector pattern correct. But good luck, I hope I was of some help.

240sxconversion
02-07-2004, 07:45 AM
how good do those C-wings carbon fiber insert things work. It says they are designed to fit fog lights?? Projectors are brighter then fog lights arent they. The ones for my honda were really dam bright, no were close to my fog lights.

Maeda
02-07-2004, 11:36 AM
This is for the S14 zenkis. I believe clear corners.com makes a very nice projector unit using hella modules for the s13's already.

Brolewigi~ Silicon is expensive to use for mold making, because I can only get it in small amounts(roughly 100$+ to make one mold). Wood might be an option but right now im going to stick with the easy & cheap stuff to work with. Clay over the fluted part of the inside of the headlight cover, and then smooth it out and make a mold using plaster.

Also the reflector pattern should not be an issue, because the projector units I'm using are all inclusive. I just need to aim them right. :)

oewoko
02-07-2004, 10:54 PM
maeda, if you make a molding of the lens, i'd buy a pair from you, probably 2 sets.

phrozen
02-08-2004, 01:35 AM
There are people that have done the conversion for both the zenki and kouki s14, and clearcorners has a great kit for the s13, there is also a guy that made his own clearcorners type kit, If you really look at the price of clearcorners stuff and think it out its not bad, once u start pricing out the parts, quality, time, fabrication, and making it look right like clearcorners ive come to think it is a good price... i cant really affor it at the moment but when i come up with the money i will be getting the kit myself

-E-
02-08-2004, 07:36 AM
What ever happened to OBX's projector headlights for the s14?
its been dropped

Maeda
02-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Yah, I think i'll either make lenses for people close to my cost, or sell my molds to somebody that will?

OR maaybe when i'm done I can pass the mold to somebody.

I still havn't finished my other DIY ideas...
-Foam filled chassis
-Fiberglass sunroof replacement (postponed)

RBS14
02-08-2004, 01:52 PM
go over to hidforum.com......... i've been over there a lot recently doing some research. If you're going to do projectors, for god's sake do HID projectors! all that work for halogen projectors, what a waste! Besides, you can pick up a kit with Valeo ECE's (low beam projectors) or the bi-xenons (low and high beam combined projectors) you were looking at with hid bulbs harnesses and ballasts for under $500 at www.hidtech.com Do some research, the info is out there. and since our lenses are plastic, if you are careful, you can actually sand off the "fluted" part of the lens so it is clear.

mixxamike
03-03-2004, 12:09 AM
RBS14, do you actually have experience with this sanding of the headlights thing? I've been waiting for these mysterious clear zenki covers to come out but without any luck.

If this works, well...it would be awesome! Do you have some pics of the end result? I'm assuming with some very delicate work, you could get the fluting pollished down to a glass-like finish? am i right?

Jeff240sx
03-03-2004, 12:14 AM
-Foam filled chassis
-Fiberglass sunroof replacement (postponed)

SPLparts sells a chassis foam. And a 'glass sunroof I doubt would do anything, except cover up a view. It's not very structural.
-Jeff

mixxamike
03-03-2004, 12:23 AM
I think Maeda's intent was to lighten up the roof of his car (as in remove the glass and motors). The roof has extra structural bracing in it to compensate for the sunroof gap already. Those sunroofs along with their motors can weigh a ton.

vacume forming?? :)

sorry i'm a bit antsy right now. I'm runnin' high on caffine pills and espresso to compensate for my design all-nighters and midterm exam cram sessions. I'm an ID major...art, what a bastard.

RBS14
03-03-2004, 10:52 AM
No, i have not done it personally. But i was reading on some lighting forums that people have done it. You have to wetsand with like 1000 grit paper until it all goes away. You don't want to sand with much harsher of a grit because you will get spots on the lens that are thinner than others which will mess up your beam pattern too. Do a search for the clear lenses, there is info on them. Search FA too, there was a group buy on them not too long ago.

Maeda
03-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Its easier for me to vac a pair, honestly. Sanding down the fluted lense would take forever!

I post poned this project because I TOO realized it's silly to go to all this work for JUST halogen 90mm projectors.

If anyone is local and interested in helping me do this (IE: BUY PARTS) I can make some pieces to work with them.

EDIT: We took off my friends sunroof (ae86) and no joke the thing weighs a good 40 lbs.

RBS14
03-03-2004, 10:26 PM
also look into S2k projectors. They have very sharp cutoffs, good light spread and are relatively cheap if you can find em.