PDA

View Full Version : it shakes when I brake (s14 brake shimmy problem)

stevebsvs
02-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Hi guys, I got an S14 (95 240sx) and when I hit the brakes, the steering wheel shakes and enough for the whole front end to shimmy too. New brembo rotors and pads didn't help at all. I changed my right side wheel hub assembly cuz it was givin play in the wheel and makin the "grinding" feeling of bad bearings. I also changed a very loose right tie rod end... I still have the braking shake still. Well I read that new tension rod bushings or just new tension rods (T/C rods) will fix that problem. So I bought from PDM Racing the stock rods with whiteline bushings hoping that will help. Anyone with this problem that got it fixed, is this the way to go? I have over 140k miles so Im sure changing the rods was something I'd have to do eventually.

Advice anyone?

rps13sh
02-05-2004, 11:48 PM
i saw an old post about the same problem about a year ago. some guy had the same problem and after long posts and stuff he found the problem. you should try a search. sorry im no help. =)

mbmbmb23
02-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Something like that happend to me before, I had a broken steel belt on the inside front passenger tire.

-m

WilloW
02-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Warped rotor(s)?

TachyonS14
02-06-2004, 04:25 PM
He said he just got new brembo's...

WilloW
02-06-2004, 05:23 PM
He said he just got new brembo's...
Damn, totally missed that one. My bad.

holisticbeatz
02-06-2004, 07:30 PM
I don't think changing the tension rod or bushing would change anything. When you did your brake upgrade/swap, did you bleed the master cylinder and lines? You could give that a shot.. And another thing, are your tires balanced? Wobbling tires and rims could cause steering wheel shimmy.. I hope this helps..

Propagandhi41
02-07-2004, 01:45 PM
My mom had that problem in her 95 Mustang. She just said the rotors needed turning [?]. And she took to the tire place and they turned her rotors and it fixed the problem...

Ghettokracker71
02-07-2004, 04:42 PM
my 240 pulls to the left when I brake and the wheel shakes a little...and according to my girl when she drove it,you have to keep the wheel to the right to stay straight anyway....so I think I need an alignment or something :doh:

EDIT:Apparently I am used to it...thats why I said my girl says...but I kinda realized that after she said sumthin