PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning oil channels diy

ezza
05-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Hi again everyone,
I've done some searching but didn't come up with anything for my situation.
I'm rebuilding my engine, the bare block is sat on the stand at the moment and before I start putting it all back together I want to clean out the oil channels.

How do I do this, I've read about using diesel (which I have to hand luckily), is it just a case of getting a funnel and pouring down each channel? Unfortunately I don't have any way of pressurising it.

While i'm here too, cleanest/best way to clean headgasket residue from the deck without risking scratching the surface?

Thanks again all

Edwin562
05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Machine shops can do that at the time they dump the block in the hot tank... my machine shop cleans up the oil channels for free if client pays up at drop off... I checked afterwards and they were clean as a whistle.

ezza
05-04-2012, 09:33 AM
I don't intent on taking it anywhere to be dipped/etc

Is there a way of cleaning out the oil ways of any particles DIY at home while it's still on the stand?

Thanks

UNITEDMASTER
05-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Well since your not gonna pay machine shop to hot tank..... The only other option you have is lots of brake parts cleaner/solvet & compressed air turned up real high. I do this even when I get a block back from hot tank

green_pea
05-06-2012, 05:08 PM
you really need the diesel to sit in the galleries somehow and dissolve the oil. maybe try making your own tank? do you just have the bare block??

Tantwoforty
05-14-2012, 10:02 AM
i used my garden hose and a sprayer, blasted all the nasty shit through, then hit it with the air compressor for awhile. then let it sit for like a week before putting anything on it.
you can coat anything you are worried about in wd40, the pressure really got the galleys clean