PDA

View Full Version : swapping from non abs to abs

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
02-02-2004, 10:48 PM
mai s14 that i have wasnt equipped with an abs system. but to change dat to abs, how much does it cost, nd wat do i hav to change.

OptionZero
02-03-2004, 12:39 AM
its alot of electrical wiring, sensors at all the wheels, and aadding a power supply from the battery, and maybe some ECU stuff. I haven't attempted it, but i have the same problem and looking through the FSM, seems like alotta stuff.
Basically, if you have to ask, it'll likely be too expensive a project for you.

Just learn how to manually pump your brakes.

Search under my name for 'brakes' and you'll see a thread i made about it

element240
02-03-2004, 12:54 PM
is it better to have a car without abs for drifting? or would it be better that it was equipped w/ abs stock?
i'm looking at a 240 this weekend that has abs.

mistaanime
02-03-2004, 06:06 PM
yea juss practice pumpin the brakes..dun really need abs..

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
02-04-2004, 01:22 PM
well i wastn gonna only drift i think i wanna go grip as main race nd juss drift for fun

nrcooled
02-04-2004, 02:27 PM
It's easier to sell your car and buy an ABS equiped 240

You will need:
ABS controller
Sensors
Computer (has it's own)
Hard Lines
New front brakes (different then the non-ABS)
amongst other things

element240
02-04-2004, 02:49 PM
so i take it that it's better to have a 240 equipped w/ abs for drifting?

uiuc240
02-04-2004, 10:23 PM
so i take it that it's better to have a 240 equipped w/ abs for drifting?

not really. you should never lock your brakes when drifting. you should never lock your brakes. period. learn to modulate and you'll be fine. it takes finesse. i, for one, am still learning. i lock mine up in panic stops sometimes.

Eric

twitchy
02-05-2004, 12:32 AM
as uiuc said, learn to MODULATE not PUMP cause youll never possibly pump them fast enough or properly yourself. I wouldnt try to install them, the chances of it working properly are slim to none and the cost would be ridiculous. I have it on my car, and 99 percent of the time i wish I didnt...I find the 240 has a decent setup, it tends to intervene only after you achieve lockup and if you try and modulate yourself it holds back.. Its nice once in a while in the winter in bad weather, you can hit the brakes hard and just point the car where you wanna go, but your also dealing with higher repair costs if anything breaks, and it chews the hell out of brake pads if its used often.

more shit to break too

as well, if you can drive, you dont need it

that180guy
02-05-2004, 11:00 AM
i wouldnt nessicarilly say "never" lock up your brakes while drifting....but yea, learn Modulation. it also makes u a better driver when your good at it. ther was a thread on club4ag by Moto P about learning how to modulate your foot properly so that you just have to press the brakes once, n maintain it 2 stop at a stop light. as in, just step, hold, stop. its basically, judging distances, speed, n brake application presure at the same time. im trying to learn that right now, its pretty damn hard

driftyour40
02-05-2004, 10:32 PM
first of all, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? i have first hand experience with this my first 95 40 (base model) was an auto with no ABS the pedal feal was stiff and responsive i could stop on a dime in the rain and dry weather. getting used to the fact that your wheels will lock up if you press to hard and fast is good it teaches you how to drive. now, i have my new 40 95 se 5 speed with ABS the peddle always is soft at the top and gets harder on the way down the ABS reacts to soon, they way i put it is, it works when it "thinks" its going to loose traction not when it actually dose loose traction. in my experience ABS sucks i don't like computers doing my driving for me. i think that you will always have more fun and control of your car if "you" can make it do what you want when you want. i lost that aspect of driving when i bought this car but the 5 speed has been a really fun learning experience.

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
02-06-2004, 05:24 PM
aiitesthanks ill juss stikc wid non. but im too scared to push da breaks wen i hav to