PDA

View Full Version : Adding Power Steering to a Sr20det?

COstyle
02-01-2004, 09:55 PM
How difficult is it to add power steering to a sr20det after the engine is fully installed? What all is involved? I know it requires a PS pump and lines from a KA24DE or SR20DET. How tough is it to hook it all up? I havent worked on an sr20det yet so Im clueless, thanks...

DuffMan
02-01-2004, 10:07 PM
How difficult is it to add power steering to a sr20det after the engine is fully installed? What all is involved? I know it requires a PS pump and lines from a KA24DE or SR20DET. How tough is it to hook it all up? I havent worked on an sr20det yet so Im clueless, thanks...

Not really that hard. Are you considering buy a used car already swapped with all that stuff removed, or doing the swap yourself.

If you're doing the swap you dont need anything unless you get a hicas pump on a non-hicas car or visa versa.

Muzzy
02-01-2004, 10:09 PM
y dont u have PS now?!?!

COstyle
02-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Im looking at a car w/ an sr20det that has no power steering. I assumed it didnt have power steering because it was a bitch to put in. It is a 90 so maybe he just didnt have a ka24de or sr20det pump.

240sxconversion
02-02-2004, 04:07 PM
when ur dropping the sr in do u use ur ka PS or do u need a SR PS pump? sorry i am a newb to the whole nissan thing, even though i am now getting my second 240.

werm
02-02-2004, 04:30 PM
1990 has the ps pump on the passanger side, but it needs to be on the drivers side for the sr20... I bet whoever swapped the engine didn't want to do the work needed to switch the sides. You can use steering lines for a 91+ car, but there is other ways... Look for some tuts on it.

Muzzy
02-02-2004, 06:19 PM
u use the SR pump Newboob

kazuo
02-02-2004, 07:00 PM
wow no1 kan type in dis bitch hahahaha

ugh *headache*

The car probably doesnt have PS because the person who did the swap was too lazy/stupid to get DOHC lines or mod the SOHC lines.

89-90 S13 chassis had the PS resevoir and lines on the PASSENGER side while the 91-94 chassis had them on the DRIVER side. To keep PS with a SR20DET motor in a 89-90 chassis, you need to ge the DOHC PS lines and resevoir, or take the SOHC return line, remove the hose & extension that go to the passenger side, carefully use a couple of box wrenches/pliers/whatevers to bend the metal return like UP towards the resevoir (make sure it doesnt kink), then just slightly bend the hi pressure line across the bottom of the engine bay (use a zip tie to secure it) until it can reach the pump.

Problem solved.

I used to run mine using the ghetto SOHC line method and it worked fine.. I'm going DOHC lines now. :P :D