PDA

View Full Version : Car "hops" when accelerating?

str33tpr3p
04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey guys im new here i have a 1997 nissan silvia with a blacktop sr20det engine in it, lately when i try to accelerate and spool on my turbo it feels like the car is losing traction and the tires spin for a second or two and the rpms jump without picking up speed.. Its odd to be honest, ive read around some people say throttle body, maybe the clutch also the motor mounts or crank position sensor? im really not sure what it could be but i dont want it to affect my diff in anyway or damage it.. so if you have any info or heads up it would be much appreciated.

di-devol
04-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Check your sub-frame bushings.

Nicelyphe
04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm going to say check your struts, does it hop when cornering and hitting a bump or anything?

cbcm2435
04-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Hey guys im new here i have a 1997 nissan silvia with a blacktop sr20det engine in it, lately when i try to accelerate and spool on my turbo it feels like the car is losing traction and the tires spin for a second or two and the rpms jump without picking up speed.. Its odd to be honest, ive read around some people say throttle body, maybe the clutch also the motor mounts or crank position sensor? im really not sure what it could be but i dont want it to affect my diff in anyway or damage it.. so if you have any info or heads up it would be much appreciated.

sounds like you need stickier tires to me, and what you explained is wheel spin

str33tpr3p
04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
i like how quick the feed back is. thanks guys, its like a hop im not sure if its just the engine or if it has something to do with the suspension/tires. it doesnt happen all the time but here and there whenever i put throttle to the floor. it honestly gets to about 4000 rpm than almost like kicks for a second and jerks than starts to pull again. sorry im not very good at describing it.

str33tpr3p
04-11-2012, 01:27 PM
sounds like you need stickier tires to me, and what you explained is wheel spin

this makes a bit more sense i was looking into investing in some new rubber.. well have to see but thank you this is what i had a feeling it was also.

Nicelyphe
04-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Clutch? Lack of fuel supply at the certain moment for some reason? IDK I'm just brain storming haha.

str33tpr3p
04-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Clutch? Lack of fuel supply at the certain moment for some reason? IDK I'm just brain storming haha.

previous owner of car said clutch was quite new but it feels fine and stuff for a stage 3 so i dont think its that. but thanks for input aha i appreciate it !

fliprayzin240sx
04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
When you say "hops" like the car feels like it physically bumps or just feels like it has a dead spot?

str33tpr3p
04-12-2012, 12:33 PM
when im accelerating it will hit like 4-5 rpm and like sound like a jumping sound and kind of bunny hop for a second before continuing to speed up.

KoUkkI
04-16-2012, 09:30 AM
when im accelerating it will hit like 4-5 rpm and like sound like a jumping sound and kind of bunny hop for a second before continuing to speed up.

yup ur getting wheel hop. are u on lowering springs or stock suspension? either or will give you wheel hop when spinning out. i have lowering springs and every 4 or 5rpm ill spool and ill hop a little... for sure i recommend coilovers which i need and better rubber or wheels for traction. im on stock se wheels idk if u are.