PDA

View Full Version : Can a Leaky Injector turn on EGR error code?

dkim1985
04-11-2012, 12:09 PM
So my check engine light is on..and i used DataScan to clear it..
Drove for 2 blocks and it came back on.
Checked it..Came up Leaky Injector and EGR error.
When I run my car with DataScan, EGR seems to be working fine.
But I did notice the fuel injector data was fluctuating a little bit when at idle.
Which would make sense for the Leaky Injector code.

So what I would like to know is...
Would the leaky injector also throw off the EGR error? ....possibly? lol

tapdeznutz
04-11-2012, 04:44 PM
subscribe...i may need to know this also.

ryandriftingfat
04-11-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty sure exactly what you described happened to mine. Single cam though.

It's been a while so I can't be 100% sure but I know it was throwing 45 and I'm 99% sure it was throwing 32 as well. Cleared them and they came back almost immediately. I couldn't smell leaking gas so I replaced every fuel related hose and clamp, still didn't smell any gas. Figured it wasn't a safety threat and kept driving.

I daily drove it for over a year and drove several events at Adams, never had a problem.

dkim1985
04-11-2012, 05:31 PM
i haven't exactly stalled or anything yet..but when i drop the clutch, the rpm drops to the point where it's about to stall but doesn't. well..it hasn't stalled yet. it's feeling a bit sluggish as well..

but was just wondering about the error codes because im planning on changing out the injectors.

zerodameaon
04-11-2012, 11:21 PM
That code came and went for me for a few months but yet my EGR was new and functioning fine.
Try this.
Have the car running and grab the diaphragm under the EGR. If the car dies or starts to die the EGR its self is not the problem. The MAF going out caused most of my issues. Pretty much the ECU guesses the injectors are leaking if it gets over rich readings which could be a few things.

tapdeznutz
04-11-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm pretty sure exactly what you described happened to mine. Single cam though.

It's been a while so I can't be 100% sure but I know it was throwing 45 and I'm 99% sure it was throwing 32 as well. Cleared them and they came back almost immediately. I couldn't smell leaking gas so I replaced every fuel related hose and clamp, still didn't smell any gas. Figured it wasn't a safety threat and kept driving.

I daily drove it for over a year and drove several events at Adams, never had a problem.

exactly ryan. it just gives the code intermittently but nothing seems wrong. all i get now is egr code and i still have not done anything about it...but did buy a spare egr just in case i do decide to one day change it out hehe

tapdeznutz
04-11-2012, 11:36 PM
That code came and went for me for a few months but yet my EGR was new and functioning fine.
Try this.
Have the car running and grab the diaphragm under the EGR. If the car dies or starts to die the EGR its self is not the problem. The MAF going out caused most of my issues. Pretty much the ECU guesses the injectors are leaking if it gets over rich readings which could be a few things.

wow i will definitely try this...thankx bro..

zerodameaon
04-11-2012, 11:44 PM
wow i will definitely try this...thankx bro..

Remember that's just the EGR itself. There could be other issues in the overall system. There is a vacuum line at a odd angle under that other round part next to the EGR diaphragm that likes to crack.

kennedy8383
04-12-2012, 08:30 AM
In case you're wondering that the EGR can be remove and block.. That just to pass emision tests.. I throw mine out..

tapdeznutz
04-12-2012, 10:02 AM
In case you're wondering that the EGR can be remove and block.. That just to pass emision tests.. I throw mine out..

the space looks really tight...how much of a pain is it to remove?

zerodameaon
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM

Its a pain. Down there with all those roaming roadside emissions testing stations it might be a good idea to keep all of your emissions in place no matter the time of year.

tapdeznutz
04-12-2012, 12:38 PM
well you in socal too? la county dont have roaming smog checks that i know if...

zerodameaon
04-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Lived in San Diego for 4 years so I would go thru LA all the time, never got stopped at one as I had heads up from friends. Most recent one was in Pomona, that's still LA county right?

All of that stuff is a pain to remove as there is not much room but if you are patient and take your time its not to hard. The hardest part is getting all those bolts broken loose with no room to wrench.

dkim1985
04-12-2012, 06:04 PM
yeah, i plan on keeping my emissions...though if i took a test right now..i'd probably fail. lol took me 3 tries to finally pass mine last year.

i'll try the egr test..though i think i do remember i've done that before and the car was about to stall.

i know my injectors are shooting out 290cc's which is most likely throwing the leaky injector code...was just wondering if i fix that, will the egr code go away?

kennedy8383
04-13-2012, 09:04 AM

I have gotten the egr by myself and yes it's pain in the ass to remove because there one bolt that you cannot get your socket in there.. I was lucky because my arm where thin. Top intake manifold can be remove by remove couple bolts and pry it out a little then i put my hand between the top and bottom manifold and get that B*tch out. Your wrench the only tool that reach it.. Like i said you cannot leave the egr open because you will have strange rpm idle sorta like stalling but not shut off.. Just block intake egr with plate and manifold with bolt or weld it.. I took my out because of 2 reasons.. 1 - it so so ugly hehind the bay and no room to work
2 - it not my daily drive but drift car..

tapdeznutz
04-13-2012, 09:55 AM
I have gotten the egr by myself and yes it's pain in the ass to remove because there one bolt that you cannot get your socket in there.. I was lucky because my arm where thin. Top intake manifold can be remove by remove couple bolts and pry it out a little then i put my hand between the top and bottom manifold and get that B*tch out. Your wrench the only tool that reach it.. Like i said you cannot leave the egr open because you will have strange rpm idle sorta like stalling but not shut off.. Just block intake egr with plate and manifold with bolt or weld it.. I took my out because of 2 reasons.. 1 - it so so ugly hehind the bay and no room to work
2 - it not my daily drive but drift car..

about egr blocking plate. what did you do with the vacuum lines that go into the egr, where did you end up putting them etc. also how does the engine idle/run with egr blocked off?

kennedy8383
04-14-2012, 04:26 PM
about egr blocking plate. what did you do with the vacuum lines that go into the egr, where did you end up putting them etc. also how does the engine idle/run with egr blocked off?

If I'm correct there will be 2 unplug holes? Don't cap them off. You need to put a hose on it otherwise you will experience idle issuse with evap systems.. Use the same hose that you remove from the egr or get new hose at auto shop if damage.. The car will be good as long there not air leak from hose, egr block or manifold plug holes...

tapdeznutz
04-14-2012, 06:04 PM
If I'm correct there will be 2 unplug holes? Don't cap them off. You need to put a hose on it otherwise you will experience idle issuse with evap systems.. Use the same hose that you remove from the egr or get new hose at auto shop if damage.. The car will be good as long there not air leak from hose, egr block or manifold plug holes...

nice...but it will still throw check engine light for egr?

kennedy8383
04-15-2012, 08:45 AM
didn't heard anything about cel.. You can get the egr block plate on ebay..

tapdeznutz
04-15-2012, 09:43 AM
gonna have to try it and report back about the cel. tahnkx

Agent_S13
04-16-2012, 04:57 PM
yeah, i plan on keeping my emissions...though if i took a test right now..i'd probably fail. lol took me 3 tries to finally pass mine last year.

i'll try the egr test..though i think i do remember i've done that before and the car was about to stall.

i know my injectors are shooting out 290cc's which is most likely throwing the leaky injector code...was just wondering if i fix that, will the egr code go away?

I have a similar problem:

Code 32
Replaced EGR
Attempted Smog, but CEL lit up causing me to fail. (Passed sniffer though.)

[Got home, pulled the code - gave me 32 again.]

Any way to confirm that replacing the MAF has any direct correlation to the Code 32?

[Also started my own thread, so I don't crap on yours with my different symptoms.]

Thanks!

Aaron
'91 240sx coupe

dkim1985
04-22-2012, 02:25 PM
so i replaced my injectors with 270cc's.. test drove it and came up with leaky injector code again..but no egr code!

any idea what might cause a leaky injector code if its not the injectors?

tapdeznutz
04-22-2012, 04:11 PM
did you say you have walbro fuel pump...so...

dkim1985
04-22-2012, 08:38 PM
no, i never changed my fuel pump..
what does a walbro fuel pump have to do with it? are those not good or something?

EDIT:
so i just read in another thread somewhere..some guy 2-3 years ago was having a similar problem with my car..
turned out his fuel pump and maf were messed up. ..looks like we have a new heading, cap't~!

will post an update on this once i get that fix~

dkim1985
05-24-2012, 03:39 PM
put in a new oe fuel pump from TRE Performance, that cleared the check engine light...but..

i noticed the light came and went for about a minute a couple times since the install, haven't had a chance to see what the error was. i'll check it this weekend.

dkim1985
05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
current update..
check engine light keeps coming up again. seems like nothings changed. still getting leaky injector error.

i have new injectors and now a new fuel pump..anybody have any other suggestions??

tapdeznutz
05-29-2012, 02:37 PM
only code i get is the EGR code. u sure its not egr code? i just figure i throw it out there.

dkim1985
05-29-2012, 03:04 PM
i'll double check in a couple hours when i get off work.

dkim1985
06-20-2012, 10:55 AM
haven't had time to check the code but did upgrade my fuel filter with a z32 filter and the light went away. been a few days and so far so good~

dkim1985
07-09-2012, 09:42 AM
so changing the fuel filter only worked a couple days and the light came back on.
checked the codes, got leaky injector, egr, and something else(camshaft i think it was).
though im sure the last one was just a chain reaction..

i decided to clean the MAF.
cost me only $8.something..easy job.
check engine light went away and idles fine..
seems like the MAF was the main issue after all..

kinda stupid how simple that was after going through all this trouble..lol.
:picardfp:

tapdeznutz
07-09-2012, 10:10 AM
so changing the fuel filter only worked a couple days and the light came back on.
checked the codes, got leaky injector, egr, and something else(camshaft i think it was).
though im sure the last one was just a chain reaction..

i decided to clean the MAF.
cost me only $8.something..easy job.
check engine light went away and idles fine..
seems like the MAF was the main issue after all..

kinda stupid how simple that was after going through all this trouble..lol.
:picardfp:

VERY NICE...its only simple when you find it lol. congrads. i will have to try this next on my bucket too hehe.