PDA

View Full Version : Refilling tranny gear oil till it leaks out of fill plug?????

Boosted_mannican
04-08-2012, 03:20 AM
Im going to change my gear oil in my transmission soon and i was wondering am suppose to fill it till the oil slightly starts to leak out of the fill plug or is it okay that the fluid level is far below the fill plug?? Ive heard of people topping off the fluid till it starts dipping out and others filling it with a certain amount. Which is the way to do it?? i dont want to over fill the transmission and break a seal. Some please help. Thanks

LongGrain
04-08-2012, 03:41 AM
the drain plug is on the side of the trans to prevent overfilling.. you can't overfill the trans without it pouring out.

Or if you're like the rest of us, including myself, and don't want to get all dirty, find out the fluid capacity (I don't remember exactly off hand, I know its right around 2.5qts) and fill it through the shifter hole like a normal person.

cotbu
04-08-2012, 04:18 AM
the fill plug is on the side of the trans to prevent overfilling.. you can't overfill the trans without it pouring out.

Or if you're like the rest of us, including myself, and don't want to get all dirty, find out the fluid capacity (I don't remember exactly off hand, I know its right around 2.5qts) and fill it through the shifter hole like a normal person.

ummm fixed ;)

h2v7
04-08-2012, 06:06 AM
is it bad if i fill it through the shifter and i overfill it?

what worse case if its overfilled?

ballinnmiami240sx
04-08-2012, 06:15 AM
STEPS Even the wife could do:

1. Take bottom plug off and drain
2. Replace plug
3. Take side plug off
4. Fill thru shifter until it starts pouring out the side plug
5. replace side plug

Go driving!!!!!!!!

DONT OVERFILL!!!!! why do you keep asking that?

jr_ss
04-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Filling until it comes out the of the fill plug is fine, just don't fill it more than that, i.e. leave the plug out. Most manual transmission for Nissans are about 3qts...