PDA

View Full Version : Thrown rocker arm and MORE!

Blues13
04-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Car info:
S13 Sr20det blacktop
CP Pistons/Eagle Rods
Apexi headgasket
Tomei Springs/Poncams

So, while out on a drive I threw a rocker arm at high rpms.. I towed the car back home and pulled the cover and plugs off and found this:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/blues13/Bad%20Cylinder/Cyl3Intrusion.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/blues13/Bad%20Cylinder/SparkPlugs.jpg

Along with my thrown rocker arm and mangled retainer, something had bent my spark plug tip. I looked down inside the Cyl 3, there was a metal-like piece that jutted out.. anyone know what this is? My guess is it's the headgasket. Is there anything else this could be? The valve doesn't look bent and didn't seem to have dropped down.

The car was smoking a bit before, but didn't see oil in the coolant.

I was hoping for a easy rocker arm fix, but it looks like I'll have to take the head off or worse.. before I do this, just wanted to check with you guys and if there's anything else I should check for.

Pinggg
04-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Just take the head off. It beats guessing what it is.

napz510
04-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Do a leak down test!

UNITEDMASTER
04-08-2012, 06:07 PM
^^^^ I second that,leakdown test first,that will give you better insight as to what may be danaged. Then pull the head. I dont think it a peice of HG in the cyl. It may be a peice of a ring.

The strap on that plug is totally deformed

Put some heavy grease on the tip of a flat head screwdriver & try to fish it out,then ou can confirm what it is????

Blues13
04-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the replies.. yes, I do plan to take the head off but wanted to see what I was in for before I do.. work has been busy so it's going to be a while before I get to it.

I was just curious cus there's only a limited number of things it could be down in there. The valve doesn't seem bent and it's large and flat, so I'm thinking its not part of the piston rings. I tried tapping at it with a screw driver and it didn't move.

In either case, I'll update when I get a chance to do a leak down or take off the head..

ANDY black s13
04-08-2012, 09:31 PM
I''m dying to know what it is? :)

cotbu
04-09-2012, 04:18 AM
Looks like top of the piston with a hole, and that's the only thing that should be there! The quench area is so larger, I don't think it would be part of the head gasket!!!? The only other possible thing it could be is what the OP say's he sure it's not! Bent valves.