PDA

View Full Version : Some misc questions about S14 KA.

LongGrain
04-06-2012, 11:49 PM
I have a couple questions, they might sound stupid but keep the bullshit to a minimum.

The first couple questions have to do with switching from a ricer intake back to a stock one, and 2 issues that I ran into.

1. on the stock intake pipe, the plastic one, there are 2 nipples, a large one that goes to the IACV. But where does the smaller one go? On my injen, there was just one large one that had a hose with a T fitting and went to both the IACV and valve cover, then a tiny vacuum nipple on the bottom with a little vacuum line going to an open nipple from the throttle body directly under. The nipple on the intake is way too big to accommodate a vacuum line this size, so now I have a nipple on the intake thats too big, and one on the TB thats too small. Wondering what the proper routing for this is supposed to be.

2. on the injen intake the IAT sensor was just shoved into a hole with a rubber grommet to seal, but it looks like on the stock air box its supposed to have some kind of 2 bolt flange thinger? does someone know what this thing looks like, do I need to find a new IAT that has this or is it something i can find separate?

Ok the next 2 questions have nothing to do with the first two, just things that are on my mind.

3. My ka has these stupid OBX aluminum pulleys on it and i have a WICKED alt belt squeal that I can't seem to get away from. The belt is newish, its tensioned properly, blah blah but it will NOT go away. Is this common sometimes for aluminum pulleys? This shit is way annoying and I'm sick of my car sounding broken all the time. If putting stock pulleys on there will help I'd do that in a damn heartbeat.

4. last but not least. Can I use spark plug wires from earlier KA's on my kouki 14 ka? and just exnay the extra coil wire? I only ask because my work doesn't stock 97+ 240 wires, and I can't get a discount on things I have to order in. But I DO have ones for 95 and previous or whatever in stock and they are cheaper + I get a discount, which would be nice if they work.

before you go off telling me to get some aftermarket bullshit, this car is just my daily and my only interest is keeping it maintained and in proper working order/good condition. Thank you for your help.

brizanden
04-06-2012, 11:55 PM
there should be two big tubes on the intake tubing. one for the iacv tube and one for the valve cover thats all u need anything else block.

LongGrain
04-06-2012, 11:58 PM
there should be two big tubes on the intake tubing. one for the iacv tube and one for the valve cover thats all u need anything else block.

technically there are 3, but one of them is on the coupler from the throttle body, that one goes to the valve cover, then the intake has 2, one large one for the IACV, and another smaller, but still bigger than a vacuum line, and I'm not sure where that goes.

keep in mind I want this to be as OEM as possible and would rather not just cap things off.

LongGrain
04-07-2012, 01:43 PM
bump for my stupid questions.

brizanden
04-08-2012, 02:34 PM
put a picture up i dont think u need the stock coupler now and thats why i think you have extra openings.

LongGrain
04-08-2012, 04:06 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/LongGrain/52484d00.jpg

you can see here, one goes from the coupler right off the throttle body to the valve cover, then on the intake pipe there are 2 right next to each other, one is small, one is big, i have the big one going to the IACV obv, the little one has a tube that goes to the open vacuum nipple under the TB, but the nipples are different sizes so the tube isn't really doing anything.

brizanden
04-08-2012, 04:26 PM
block line off on the intake and the throttle body you dont need em. sorry i thought u were saying you were going to aftermarket intake pipping

LongGrain
04-08-2012, 04:28 PM
noo, i got rid of my injen intake to go with a stock one.

I don't want to block off my IACV.

here is the "before" picture.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/LongGrain/6fca492c.jpg

KiLLeR2001
04-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Not sure if this is going to help you but this is a vacuum diagram of a KA24DE.

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles/images/vacuumlines1.jpg

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles/images/vacuumlines2.jpg

edit: And yes, you can use S13 KA spark plug wires on your S14 KA. They will work the same.

And far as your pulley squeak goes, I would search for OEM ones. My power steering pulley is lightweight polished aluminum crap and it squeaks even after I've replaced the belt with proper tension.

LongGrain
04-08-2012, 06:57 PM
yea that diagram didn't help much. I think if someone had a totally stock 14 ka and could take a picture that would be most helpful.

good to know s13 wires work, because I'm cheap and don't want to wait 2 days.

oem pulleys seems to be the way to go as well. These obx things suck, for the power steering one, the hole in the pulley wasn't even lined up with the bracket bolt so I couldn't use a socket on it. I hate garbage china parts, had to spend like 25 minutes inching it off little by little with an open ended wrench squeezed in there.

nautical miles
04-08-2012, 07:08 PM
the smaller vacuum line goes to a port underneath the TB. id take a picture but everything else is in the way. basically its the only forward facing vacuum port on the bottom of the tb, closest to the throttle cable pulley.

brizanden
04-08-2012, 07:22 PM
ill post a pic on here tom with what i mean. you can block off the line still even on a stock setup and it wont throw any codes. will work identical nothing changes if anything you have a stronger vacum everywhere else because of blocking it.

LongGrain
04-09-2012, 10:03 AM
the smaller vacuum line goes to a port underneath the TB. id take a picture but everything else is in the way. basically its the only forward facing vacuum port on the bottom of the tb, closest to the throttle cable pulley.

thats where it was going on my aftermarket intake, but the "smaller" port on the stock intake is like 3-4x the size of the vacuum nipple on the TB... In other words, it doesn't fit.