PDA

View Full Version : Sound deadening in s-chassis

JZenki
04-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Need some opinions&tips from who has done this, some pics would help..

Coming from a previous m3 owner, I truly miss the quiet cabin and minimal engine vibration shaking the chassis.. I plan on installing it through out the full chassis, roof, pillars, trunk and just about anywhere you can think of, so I can achieve that good luxury modern feel as this will serve as my daily driver for the years to come..

Jtuned_andy
04-04-2012, 06:04 PM
If you use dynamat or equivalent in the quantities you are talking you will add A LOT of weight to your car if you are interested in performance at all.

What I did was strategically place dynamat where I felt noise and vibrations would be able to come through my chassis with the least restriction ie. trans tunnel, firewall, trunk floor above differential.

When I had my dash out for my overhaul I completely dynamat'd that area from floor to windshield and will add more to the areas I suggested above to complete my project.

Sumslapper
04-04-2012, 06:34 PM
^^ So how is it? Noticeably quieter? I always though about doing this to my car as well.

Duker
04-04-2012, 06:38 PM
look into second skin audio's products, i just sprayed my Z32 interior in their spectrum coating and it made a petty big difference. I used 3 gallons at 9lbs per gallon after curing. Granted 3 gallons on a completely gutted/empty shell. If you sprayed it on the the trans tunnel and fender wells it will help.

Seraphim38
04-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Just a note, there is a definitive difference between Dynamat-like materials that are meant to reduce the resonance of metal panels, and sound deadening materials that 'absorb' sounds from the ambient interior.

Both materials are also heavy, so they have to be used sparingly. The Dynamat type stuff goes on big open metal panels, then sound deadener goes behind interior body panels and under carpeting.

If you want the M3 type of quiet interior, you want more sound deadening materials than you want Dynamat.

EmpyreS13
04-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Lizard Skin works wonders LizardSkin 50115 - LizardSkin Sound Control Insulation - Overview - SummitRacing.com (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LIZ-50115/)

JZenki
04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
I read in an ancient thread, if you remove the oem sound deadening and replace with dynamat I should break even.. I also read theres "brown bread" which works as good as dynamat and is cheaper, can anyone vouch for that?.. anybody write ups out there? I wouldn't want to miss anything before I reinstall everything..

fliprayzin240sx
04-04-2012, 08:56 PM
No offense but if you want something quiet...the last thing you need is a 20 yr old chassis thats beat to hell. Anything and everything squeaks in these damn cars.

2iv0 sx
04-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I hate road noise anyone with good results?

dopplganger1
04-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I did everything in mine hatch area, roof, pillars, floor, doors and it made a noticeable difference for me, with an SR full kouki areo, no front crash bar, stance coils, all adjustable arms, no sunroof, full interior, small sub and almost full tank of gas my car was 2700-2800 lb. I cant remember the exact number and I left the stock sound deadening and I believe it was fatmat that I used with a little bit of dynamat

thedeadking
04-06-2012, 02:05 PM
I recommend fatmat. You can get it off Amazon in different quantities and it ships quickly too. It's also MUCH cheaper than Dynamat.

bllabong89
04-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Just did it about a year ago in my s14. If you are doing this, you usually aren't concerned with 40 extra lbs. I worked at a car audio shop for about 4 years and dynamat and like products are great but the cost is a joke IMO.

I went to home depot and bought roofing flash. It is almost identical, has no odor, is as easy to work with and cost about 15 a roll. I did my interior with 3 rolls.

Again, this is my opinion and choice so hopefully it helps.

hOngsterr
04-07-2012, 11:33 AM
bed liner.

andisan
04-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Im interested in doing this as well, ill keep an eye on these thread for somr good advice :)

JZenki
04-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Just did it about a year ago in my s14. If you are doing this, you usually aren't concerned with 40 extra lbs. I worked at a car audio shop for about 4 years and dynamat and like products are great but the cost is a joke IMO.

I went to home depot and bought roofing flash. It is almost identical, has no odor, is as easy to work with and cost about 15 a roll. I did my interior with 3 rolls.

Again, this is my opinion and choice so hopefully it helps.

Just may look into that, thanks for the info!!! did you cover the whole interior?

LUCKYxS13
04-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I was gonna say bed-liner underneath the car and rustolleoum, however you spell that lol, paint on the inside. I plan on doing this as im not bothered with road noise that much. But im sure it will make a noticeable difference and not add any weight lol!

Krewlkid
04-24-2012, 10:35 PM
just ordered 50 square feet of fatmat. shipping weight is 18 pounds.

will let you know how it comes out.

btw all stock SR with, 10lb flywheel, aluminum drive shaft, stock exhaust.

going for quick and quiet

dawagarage
04-25-2012, 12:49 AM
I read in an ancient thread, if you remove the oem sound deadening and replace with dynamat I should break even.. I also read theres "brown bread" which works as good as dynamat and is cheaper, can anyone vouch for that?.. anybody write ups out there? I wouldn't want to miss anything before I reinstall everything..

i bought a few feet of 'brown bread' know known as b quiet ultimate.

everyone should check out their site it is very informative. B-Quiet sound deadening materials - Brown Bread - Better than Dynamat!! brownbread (http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html)

anyways, i used it in strategic locations but did not notice a big difference.

also in regards to using sound deadener/dampener in our cars, people are always SOOO concerned about how heavy itll make it, but the added poundage is really negligible. were talking about dozens of pounds here, if that, NOT 100s. the old recipe is '10lbs lost/gain = 1 hp' so yeah to me a few hp are definitely negligible and will be unnoticed.

RevTonyG
04-25-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm actually in process of removing the sound deadening on my s13 right now. I'm not sure if I'm helpful when it comes to an aftermarket alternative, but this stuff is really fun to remove. I've posted some pictures on my website, revs240.com (http://revs240.com) (not trying to promote, just saying they're there if you want to look). My car's a slow work in progress. I posted a picture of this 3M Adhesive, Tar and Wax remover that works wonders on this crap. (first post on here, btw).

hOngsterr
04-25-2012, 01:39 AM
i just used dynamat on my car, shit is heavy lol. nothing compared to stock deadening. plus you'd use more dynamat to cover the surface area, cause why would you have spots of dynamat scattered on the car lol made a difference for sure.

Edwin562
04-25-2012, 01:42 AM
I use dynamat on my speakers, other than that i use lizardskin.

JZenki
09-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Bringing this back from the dead, does lizard skin or second skin audio's spectrum smell? Don't want the lady to feel sick everytime she gets in the car.

dawagarage
09-28-2012, 11:24 AM
B-Quiet sound deadening materials - Brown Bread - Better than Dynamat!! brownbread (http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html)
have you read up on that site? some good info, talks about the different kinds of materials and their uses. i bought from there (brown bread is now "b quiet, btw) it was definitely cheaper than dynamat, but also a little bit thinner.

all the dudes that say the shit is 'so heavy'.... can you define 'so heavy'? 10,20,50, 100, 200 lbs? if its between 10 and 100 lbs, i wouldnt call that 'heavy.' if the old myth of 10lbs = 1 hp, well, you arent really losing a lot of power. plus, a lot of people carry random shit in their car that also contributes to adding weight. shit, you can take a shit and lose almost 5 lbs. anyways, i wish i could add more to the effectiveness aspect, all i can really say is maybe we shouldnt worry too much about adding weight.