PDA

View Full Version : fuel cell, swirl pot, and rear firewall questions...

JFoxx
04-03-2012, 07:01 AM
ok to start i searched this and could not come up with the awnsers i needed....

the car is a purpose built s13 hatchback. i am planning on mounting either an 8 or 10 gal atl fuel cell. i plan to cut out the rear floor in the trunk and weld in square tubing to reinforce, and support the fuel cell. once it is mounted i plan on using sheet metal to seal off the trunk again.

first question, is a swirl pot needed? i will be running either race fuel or e85.....(i understand what it does, but i have never seen it on other 240's)

second question, what qualifies for a rear firewall to pass tech? can i just box the top of it and put some latches? or how would i seal off the back being that its a hatch? i have seen some people cover the cell with peice of sheetmetal with a hole cut in it so you can still reach the filler. does this work?

here are some pictures of what im talking about.....

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p473/jfoxx88/240sx016.jpg
http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p473/jfoxx88/2010_04252010april25th0121.jpg

thanks, and if you have pictures of proper ways to do it i would appreciate it....

rcdad123
04-03-2012, 10:43 AM
you don`t need a swirl pot if you use a hi pressure/hi flow fuel pump mounted as low or lower than the tank. usually, these types of pump are not good at sucking fuel, so you have to mount it so that gravity can feed it fuel. not all pumps are like that though. if you cover the entire fuel cell so that there is no chance for a fuel fire to reach the cabin, you should be ok, but check the rule book on whatever you are building the car for. NHRA rulebook if you are building it for drag racing.

JFoxx
04-04-2012, 09:10 AM
you don`t need a swirl pot if you use a hi pressure/hi flow fuel pump mounted as low or lower than the tank. usually, these types of pump are not good at sucking fuel, so you have to mount it so that gravity can feed it fuel. not all pumps are like that though. if you cover the entire fuel cell so that there is no chance for a fuel fire to reach the cabin, you should be ok, but check the rule book on whatever you are building the car for. NHRA rulebook if you are building it for drag racing.

yeah but that really doesnt help as far as the fuel cell goes. its going in a hatch, so its going to be in the cabin, but i still need accesss to it, so i cant seal it off completely. i know it has to be sealed off from reaching the driver, but what is legal to do for scca and drifting....