PDA

View Full Version : I got my S13 today!!

Brolewigi
01-27-2004, 05:25 AM
So yesterday I decided to go to the junkyard where this 90' 240 was. I asked them to pick the car up and there was no chasis rust at all. I was very surprised to see that. I had them turn on the car and the engine ran fine but had almost like a valve lash type sound. I was told that it could be a head gasket and/or a warped head, I don't know and I dont care the SR20 is going in asap. So, after negotiating and trying to understand bits of broken english. I got the price down from 600. to 500. I agreed to the deal I mean I'm not concerned with the engine but with the body and the interior. And man is it beautiful.

I found out that some person of indian decent owned the car and donated it to purple heart for a tax write off. I guess that it was a good deal,The interior is in perfect condition. It has a dent on the rear driver's fender and the driver's front fender is missing. Other than that, some bondo, sanding and paint and this thing will look awesome. The car has a red paint job with black interior. I'm going to paint it black and put some Brides in or something like that.

So it ran, it shot almost like a extremly lean smelling smoke, and it's awesome. I had it towed for like fifty bucks to this shop (40+ miles away) and the tow driver couldn't put the car in a parking spot. So, thinking that since the engine ran and I drove it around for a minute that I could at least back it in to a parking spot.

Well, the car didn't start and when I jumped I let it set for 30+ minutes. Then I tried to move it and when I put the car in reverse it would just stall. It was wierd. it was almost like I was putting the car in 5th gear and just dropping the clutch. We had to wait to push the car into the parking spot because it was just my girlfriend and I.

So we finally got it into the parking spot and I couldn't figure out why the damn key was not comming out of the ignition?? Im confused, I'll post pictures and try to keep a log book of whats going on with everything.

kandyflip445
01-27-2004, 06:06 AM
Um, did you notice there is a button you have to push to get the key out of the ignition? LOL. Well, congrats on the car though. Have fun with it.

Brolewigi
01-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Yeah, how does that thing work? I tried and pulled and strained my neck muscles.

Bone
01-27-2004, 10:16 AM
It's right behind the ignition switch towards the dash. You push it in and it will allow you to turn the key back to the entry point and pull it out.

brianglawson
01-27-2004, 10:19 AM
dont feel bad i did the same thing with my key....lol

GlacierFreeze
01-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Hey Brolewigi, Close your last tag... should be [/IMG] not [IMG]

Bone
01-27-2004, 10:30 AM
I think everyone has done it. Its just a matter of who admits it. (Thats what I tell myself anyway)

Var
01-27-2004, 11:30 AM
I had no key problems but for some reason i couldnt open the gas door the first time i went to fill up.

Grant
01-27-2004, 11:43 AM
had that same problem as well, when i first drove my grandpa's toyota.. that experience quickly transferred to the nissans :P

dragndrifter23x
01-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Good luck with your car and remember the push the button when u take out your key :)

Brolewigi
01-27-2004, 11:55 AM
I tried that but I guess I was not trying hard enough.

kandyflip445
01-27-2004, 02:08 PM
You have to press the button then turn the key back all the way then pull it out.

Brolewigi
01-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Koo. I'll try that tonight after I get off work.

kermit80
01-28-2004, 01:51 AM
try turning the steering wheel while you hold the button down and then turn the key..

Brolewigi
01-29-2004, 07:31 AM
I think the Head gasket is blown. I have never had a car with a blown head gasket so I do not know what they sypmtoms are. There is white smoke coming from the exhaust and it smells metally, almost like it is running rich on the dyno. But when I put the car into drive, the car stalls. (Yes, it's an auto, but not for long) When I put the car into Nuetral the car goes forward. Does this mean I have a blown transmission?

And I still can not get the damn key out!

Var
01-29-2004, 09:08 AM
your gear indicator may be off. Try putting it in reverse or between reverse and neutral and see if it still moves

BiluMaster K's
01-29-2004, 09:49 AM
So yesterday I decided to go to the junkyard where this 90' 240 was. I asked them to pick the car up and there was no chasis rust at all. I was very surprised to see that.

Check the seem welds in the engine bay homes....thats most important! :rawk:

banged240_drift
01-29-2004, 08:00 PM
i never had a prob. gettin the key out in my 240.......
thast only cause i couldent ge the key out of my 87 maxima :hs:

NinjaGaiden
01-29-2004, 11:59 PM
congrats on your 240.

my friend has an AE86 and he can take the key out whenever he wants. LOL The bad part was he drained his battery many times, because he never turned the car completely off and that screwed up his battery.

INeedNewTires
01-30-2004, 07:24 AM
It sounds like there could be a problem with the gear selector/transmission wiring. The auto wont let you pull the key out unless it knows its in park, maby it doesnt know its in park. try looking for a cable connected to the gear selector. Fiddle with that while messing with the key and see if that doesnt help. also make sure the steering whel isint locked (from turning the wheel with the key in the off position)... GOOD LUCK! haha

Brolewigi
01-30-2004, 07:27 AM
Where would the wiring be located, Near the shifter?

Thanks for all of the help!

INeedNewTires
01-30-2004, 07:33 AM
yea near it, more likely under it. look for a sleeved cable though, thats what links to the key hole and triggers some switch or somethin to let the key out. find it and try pulling on it or pushing on it, but yea your gonna have to take the console apart.

Modern Angel
01-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Check your oil to see if it's white-ish and milky ... if your headgasket was blown then most likely you'd have radiator fluid mixing in with your oil and it would look like that. Your car would also be overheating all the time.

If there's white smoke coming from your exhaust and your auto tranny is acting up there may be a fluid leak in there somewhere causing the white smoke. Try checking your tranny fluid and make sure it's up to snuff also.

Brolewigi
01-30-2004, 12:07 PM
I don't even know if the car is overheating. I have not even driven my car since I have gotten it. It is at my friend's shop. I'll try to get a chance to take a look at it this weekend.. And I will post some pictures too!

MugenHonda
01-30-2004, 09:07 PM
where in MI are you? Good luck with the project