PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Debris

Track_Onslaught
01-27-2004, 12:03 AM
My Engine was knocking when i was driving then it got worse. At around 2,000rpm was real bad. I got to the end of my street and then I lost power. Not all but a substantial amount. Towed it to my house and dropped the oil pan TONS OF SHIT INSIDE!!!!!!! Plastic pieces and metal shavings. I think it could be my oil pump but I am not sure I need help and fast. I looked at my rods and they aren’t broken and I thought it could be my rod bearing but that wouldn’t explain the LARGE amount of plastic pieces in the pan. I drive a 89 240sx SOHC

deviousKA
01-27-2004, 01:00 AM
you timing chain guides and cover are the source of the plastic and metal shavings. What went wrong was that the right timing chain guide busted or became dislodged, the chain began dragging on your timing chain cover as well as pieces of your busted guide. It still ran (lots of timing chain rattle i bet) for a while untill all those little plastic shavings traveled through your engine.

what your looking at is a crankshaft full debris, what finally did it was probably your rods and mains seizing up with lack of oil.

if your rods are not bent or broken, they are most likely damaged on the journal end. In order to use the crankshaft again the galley plugs must be drilled out and crankshaft cleaned and ground, the rods may or may not be usable.

you will probably notice wear on the side of your timing cover, you may have to weld this to fix.

basically your engine is toast and needs a full rebuild or replacement.

Track_Onslaught
01-27-2004, 01:21 AM
you timing chain guides and cover are the source of the plastic and metal shavings. What went wrong was that the right timing chain guide busted or became dislodged, the chain began dragging on your timing chain cover as well as pieces of your busted guide. It still ran (lots of timing chain rattle i bet) for a while untill all those little plastic shavings traveled through your engine.

what your looking at is a crankshaft full debris, what finally did it was probably your rods and mains seizing up with lack of oil.

if your rods are not bent or broken, they are most likely damaged on the journal end. In order to use the crankshaft again the galley plugs must be drilled out and crankshaft cleaned and ground, the rods may or may not be usable.

you will probably notice wear on the side of your timing cover, you may have to weld this to fix.

basically your engine is toast and needs a full rebuild or replacement.

yeah umm thats not it thanks though

F3600
01-27-2004, 08:35 AM
I think deviousKA have the right response... My ka oil pan was full of plastic piece and it was my timing chain guide... maybe your engine is not toast but it sound defenitly like that ...

try to have someone else look at it to be sure!

good luck

uiuc240
01-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Uhh..yeah, it probably is. Happens all the time on old KA24Es

You COULD just try replacing the timing chain/guides/oil pump...but chances are you fuxored your bottom end. You COULD try to just replace the rod journal bearings from under the car and see if that takes care of it (the crank might still be OK). But chances are, the knocking was your rods, and your motor is essentially done. Time to find a $500 complete KA24DE and drop it in. 15hp bonus!

Eric

Track_Onslaught
01-28-2004, 12:34 AM
yeah umm thats not it thanks though

fuck me im retarded thanks for the help guys you guys were right I just didn’t know where to look for that guide not until I quit being depressed about my shit fucking up that I took off my valve cover and was like HEY that shit is broke off

deviousKA im sorry you were right man and thanks!! :smash:

Now I just have one probably a dumb question is a DOHC a direct drop in??

dct223
01-28-2004, 02:28 AM
fuck me im retarded thanks for the help guys you guys were right I just didn’t know where to look for that guide not until I quit being depressed about my shit fucking up that I took off my valve cover and was like HEY that shit is broke off

deviousKA im sorry you were right man and thanks!! :smash:

Now I just have one probably a dumb question is a DOHC a direct drop in??

Yes, just need to rewire it all to work

Track_Onslaught
01-28-2004, 03:22 AM
Yes, just need to rewire it all to work

is that a big pain in the ass or not?

uiuc240
01-28-2004, 08:12 AM
is that a big pain in the ass or not?

search for "SOHC to DOHC swap" and you'll find everything you want to know. or maybe "KA24DE swap" too...