PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold full of gas!

di-devol
03-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Well, like the title says. WTF:

Yesterday I got the motor back together, and waited until this morning to start it and go to work. Car made a grinding noise and felt like it was binding, I started to pop the 200amp breaker I have installed.

I replaced the starter, didn't help.

I tried to turn it by hand, couldn't.

I went counter-clockwise and GAS shot out of a vacuum hose I had unhooked. WTF lol. The intake mani was filled to the brim with gas. I could see it in the throttle body.

I drained the gas and I am now airing it out overnite. Since it was just the start trying to turn it over, and the saftey of the breaker poping. I don;t think I hurt anything. Motor still spins freely with the starter and by hand.

What the hell could cause gas to fill the intake manifold over night? I checked and the injectors are NOT leaking.

Any thoughts?

mobr86
03-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Well my first thought was the injectors. Could the injectors possibly had power to them over night and stayed stuck open?

di-devol
03-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Hmm, possible, but that poses another question: how would they get stuck open and be fine when I checked them today?

mobr86
03-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Possibly a wire for the injectors is touching somewhere maybe? But even then I wouldn't think your fuel line held enough fuel to fill up the intake.

j20accord00
03-20-2012, 11:24 PM
you may have actually hydrolocked the engine with fuel. I did this once in my diesel f250. I had to pull the glow plugs and crank it and it literally shot out. you could try the same with pulling spark plugs.

my guess is one of your injectors is stuck open allowing fuel to just pour out. maybe a cracked nozzle and its just over fueling?..pull the dipstick and see if it smells like fuel. you may have contaminated the oil with fuel. see if your level went up as well. if it smells like fuel chances are it did

edit* try powering the injector out of the car and see how they spray

di-devol
03-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Well it would fit, the battery was dead in the morning.

JBPUSA
03-20-2012, 11:49 PM
if you removed the fuel rail/injectors did you install/damage the injector o-rings?

mobr86
03-20-2012, 11:52 PM
If your battery was dead bro then my gut goes with a possible pinched or bare wire and the injectors stayed powered up and open all night. Definitely take j20accord00's advice and make sure gas didn't get in the oil pan and crank it over with the plugs out to dry the cylinders out.

Edit: I would take a test light with the ignition off to each injector plug and see if it lights up. If it doesn't then you know your injectors did not stayed powered up and you can eliminate the pinched/bare wire idea.

Tantwoforty
03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Ive had some pretty bad flooding issues on my ka before, so much so ive fouled like 2 sets of plugs.

Your FPR could be bad and shooting fuel down the vacuum line.. Thats pretty unheard of but possible.

I really really doubt your injectors were stuck open all night by a wire crossing or something, maybe one is fucked mechanically and stuck, so do a OHM test on all the injectors, they should be around 11.8

My moneys on your lower injector seals, Have you turned the key on with the fuel rail un bolted from the manifold and propped up so you can see the bottoms while it primes? I always crank it a few times to make sure, ive seen them not leak on prime cycle and leak on start/ run. this test should pretty much tell you what it is one way or another, if it is a cracked or stuck injector or if its just a seal itll pump fuel out and you will find the issue!

like every else said do a oil change and run some lucas through it to help lube the walls and bearings and such that have been been soaking in gas

make sure your careful about trying to crank it against that seize noise.. luckily when i did it i diddnt bend a valve. If you hear that noise pull out all your plugs and let it dry, you can crank it and shoot the fuel out if you want, unplug your injectors when you do this and put towels around your engine bay so you don't get gas on too many things, I'm hoping your battery was dead because you ran it low trying to crank and crank and crank and then it was cold all night and it killed it, i used to have that happen pretty often

idk im just brainstorming, hope you find the issue dude!

di-devol
03-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys, I shot all most of the fuel out this morning by removing the plugs. I will pull the rail and see if gas come out when cranking not just prime. LOL that was a shit ton of gas.

Melonburst
03-21-2012, 10:13 AM
The vac line overflowing from the dead FPR is my guess too. Happened to a lot of my customers.

di-devol
03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys, you're all making me feel better. This sucks soooo much, all that money, keep your fingers crossed that since it was just the starter motor trying to turn it I didn't hurt anything. Eagle rods shouldn't get bent from that.

blueshark123
03-21-2012, 04:01 PM
rods wont get bent valves will.

di-devol
03-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Alright, I checked for leaks again. Nada, spray pattern looks good when cranking. As I was putting the rail back on, I just happen to leave the power on. I heard the injectors click! Started poking around st the wiring and sure enough I have a short.

Thanks to everyone!

mobr86
03-21-2012, 10:18 PM
So they stayed powered up?

di-devol
03-21-2012, 10:28 PM
They kept click on and off rapidly, if I got the harness just right they stayed open. I have 2 breakers in my car for power. I had the key in the "ON" position when I flipped them the night before. I went through my checklist and made sure everything was good. The next morning I did the same thing, flipped the breakers on and I still had the key in the ignition. Must of been maybe another minute before I tried to start it. By that time the motor was wasn't turning over, I thought the battery was dead and checked everything out while the power was still on. Then I went through the whole start business before I even thought about it getting flooded.

Cliff notes:
Injectors had a short causes them to stay open for a good amount of time.

riptor
03-21-2012, 11:12 PM
good to know...glad you fixed it bro!