PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good turbo?

Madman Stephan
01-24-2004, 09:44 AM
T3/T04e turbo .50 trim .60 a/r compressor and .63 a/r turbine

It would be hooked up to a ka24de....

Thanks!

SR20DETpwr
01-24-2004, 02:40 PM
In order for this turbo to be considered good for you it would have to meet the standards that you are looking for from the turbo (ex: quick spool, ball-bearing, etc.). Tell us what your looking for and I'm sure someone on here will know about this turbo and be able to tell you if it is what your looking for.

mbmbmb23
01-24-2004, 08:04 PM
That size is a "safe" size for the KA. Just make sure the turbo is in good shape. Also....is that internally or externally wastegated???...I'm guessing externally?

-m

TeckniX
01-25-2004, 09:51 PM
mbmbmb23 .. size is safe.. is this talking from just experience, or is there a way to read the turbo and see what it can be used for, what max /stock boost will be etc?
I know.. i should probably look at some turbo write-up but there isn't many good blue prints on what is what in the turbo, and what all those crazy numbers really mean. :-\

LanceS13
01-25-2004, 10:46 PM
That's basically the same turbo I'm getting. It's also basically the same turbo Chris May (SCC May '02) use to run. On his car, it made about 380hp@17psi on pump gas.

MrKaisan
01-27-2004, 01:43 PM
well im running that exact same turbo on mine with a spearco intercooler, it spools up nice and fast and at only 5 psi ive got 192 at the wheels. only problem is finding a turbo manifold that can keep the turbo away from your brake master cylinder(mine had to be cutom made)

Jeff240sx
01-27-2004, 01:51 PM
I know.. i should probably look at some turbo write-up but there isn't many good blue prints on what is what in the turbo, and what all those crazy numbers really mean. :-\

Then you need to search. I'm so sick of these half-assed questions popping up, with you expecting to drop $3k on a turbo kit, not knowing what you're buying, what it means, and relying on other people's feedback and hearsay to pick one out for you. Get the turbo! You don't know shit else, so slap it on your car, crank the boost and go. We don't need tech/specifics in here, you're only going to put your motor on the edge of safety, and with dozens of people popping KAs with well set up kits, you'll be good to ride!
-Jeff

240Stilo
01-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Then you need to search. I'm so sick of these half-assed questions popping up, with you expecting to drop $3k on a turbo kit, not knowing what you're buying, what it means, and relying on other people's feedback and hearsay to pick one out for you. Get the turbo! You don't know shit else, so slap it on your car, crank the boost and go. We don't need tech/specifics in here, you're only going to put your motor on the edge of safety, and with dozens of people popping KAs with well set up kits, you'll be good to ride!
-Jeff

Whoa....well in other words, use the turbo and search for the things you need to do to make the car run properly. Bow down to the search before you post. :bowdown: :whip:

mbmbmb23
01-27-2004, 10:19 PM
mbmbmb23 .. size is safe.. is this talking from just experience, or is there a way to read the turbo and see what it can be used for, what max /stock boost will be etc?

Well, by "experience", no...I do not have a turbo on my KA yet, but....I've been researching turboeing my KA since I signed up on this board and Fresh Alloy (2001) and my reply above takes everything into account that I've learned so far.

The 50 To4E series compressor housing has, in my opinion, the best efficiency flow map overall. Combine this with a T3 .63 A/R turbine housing, and you have the best compromize between spool up and boost. If you wanted slightly more boost (resulting in slightly more lag), step up to a T3 .70 A/R turbine housing, then to a T3 .82 A/R turbine housing. Keep in mind that you'll also need to factor in the "stage" of the turbine wheel (also known as the "trim" of the turbine wheel if its a straight T4).

If I could pick any turbo I would probably go with a TO4E 50 series compressor with 50 trim wheel, T3 .70 A/R ball bearing turbine side with a stage 3 or possibly stage 5 wheel. I'm currently rebuilding a KA (it's in the garage right now) that will hopefully flow enough air for a turbo like that. We'll see.

Anyhow, check out this link if you wanna decide for yourself.
http://www.turbofast.com.au/TFmatch.html

-m