PDA

View Full Version : 95's are some OBDII or OBDI

Coolhand
01-24-2004, 09:29 AM
I was thinking about getting the greaddy turbo kit for my 95. I called greddy up and they said it would only work for a 96-98 because you need to have OBDII. I called one shop up and asked almost the same question,and they told me that some 95's had OBDII. I had a check engine light on awhile ago and hooked it up to an OBDII scaner and was able to fix the problem. I was told that OBDI's have diffrent connections is this true. Any help would be great.

Replicant_S14
01-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Ya, apparently it has to do with the actual date of manufacture. Like mine was is a 95 model that was actually built in 94 so it's OBD1. Don't take my word for it tho, search here and at FA to make sure but I think that's the deal.

dct223
01-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Hrm.... MY 95 240 was made in november 94, my friend had a OBDII thing on his palm pilot for his DSM and it plugged right up on mine and worked, the data logger only works on OBDII, so i dunno about which s14 have OBDI or OBDII.

i believe OBDI have different connections, my other friend with a 1g DSM has OBD1 data logger palm pilot thing, and its not even a plug, its like a bunch of wires u plug into something lol... but yea i dunno if it would be the same with 240s =D

Brian
01-24-2004, 08:01 PM
my 95 is a OBDI
i think the easiest way to tell, is to look at your intake manifold. OBDII should have a bunch of crappy wires and pipes over it.

WilloW
01-24-2004, 08:38 PM
My 95 is an OBDII, before I wrecked it it had an OBDII emission sticker inder the hood. I never bother to go get a replacement sticker so I don't any pics to show you guys.

dct223
01-24-2004, 09:41 PM
does it say like OBDII? I dunno cus under my hood it goes on bord diagnostics blah blah blah. Inside right side of the steering wheel and under all the instrument panel, theres a stick that says on board diagnostic plug is located on the passenger side.... yea i ono i always thought OBDII means u had a plug u could plug in a scanner or something like that such as the data logger that my friend has. Like i said before his data logger was only programed to work with OBDII, and it read all my settings such as my air fuel ratio when i was doing pushes from 0-100mph at each incriment of rpm showing me when im lean or when im rich etc etc, pretty good tool to tune. Dont take what i say into consideration about OBDI or II until someone verifys cus yea im not really sure =D

I looked at my intake manifold, and there is a harness that comes from my intake manifold i think, its kinda dark so im not 100% sure... ill get some pics of what my engine looks like when its daylight

Brian
01-24-2004, 09:50 PM
okay this is what i meant...
there are a bunch of tubes (metal iirc) that run over the top and around the intake manifold. that is obd2 stuff i think

dct223
01-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Ok took some pics of my intake manifold... can someone tell me if this is OBDI or II, then people will have something to look at in picture to tell if they have OBDI or OBDII.

last one is kinda blurry sorry

Kid Zelda
01-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Ok took some pics of my intake manifold... can someone tell me if this is OBDI or II, then people will have something to look at in picture to tell if they have OBDI or OBDII.

........ I

dct223
01-24-2004, 10:14 PM
ah.... i see... wonder how his data logger worked then =/ this shits confusing me hahah =P

dct223
01-24-2004, 10:40 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=38961

thats a good thread to read talking about OBD crap

BlackS14
01-26-2004, 05:48 AM

That's OBD I.....look under the hood of a '96 or later car.....there is tons more emissions stuff throw over the intake manifold than that of the OBD I cars. Should be able to tell easily.

-Bill

Var
01-26-2004, 02:04 PM
it should read "OBDII Certified" on the underhood label if it's OBDII. Also it should have a 16-pin connector