PDA

View Full Version : Need a little assistance regarding injector replacing.

dkim1985
03-19-2012, 01:50 PM
So im obviously not that knowledgeable about engines and etc..so i appreciate anybodies help.

I have a KA24DE in my s13.
Had bad injectors(270cc) so I bought replacements(290cc).
I already replaced the injectors but I was wondering if there was anything else I needed to do besides physically replacing them.

The engine is definitely running richer and occasionally throws a leaky injector code...OCCASIONALLY(like..MAYBE once every couple weeks).

Croustibat
03-20-2012, 01:33 AM
10% bigger injectors, no other mods, it mean they inject 10% more fuel all the time.

dkim1985
03-20-2012, 02:49 PM
10% bigger injectors, no other mods, it mean they inject 10% more fuel all the time.
yes i realize that..which is why im running rich and getting less mpg.
what i meant was, do i need to do anything to do the ecu or get it tuned or something? otherwise i'm just going to order some DW 270cc injectors..

waste_of_space
03-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah you'd have to trim the fuel back slightly since you're running barely bigger injcetors.
Just put stock ones back in. What was actually bad on your old injectors? Did you have them cleaned and flow tested?
Go to a junkyard to get your injectors or browse around zilvia. You can usually get sets of stock KA injcetors on the cheap, just have them cleaned and flow tested and they'll be like new.
Make sure you lube the lower o-rings whenever you install injectors too, or you risk tearing them and having them leak.
In fact, pull your rail off with you injectors still installed, but unplug the electrical connectors to them. Turn the key to the "on" position (on;not running though) and take a peek at your injectors. If any fuel is coming out of the rail then your lower o rings are toast anyways.

dkim1985
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah you'd have to trim the fuel back slightly since you're running barely bigger injcetors.
Just put stock ones back in. What was actually bad on your old injectors? Did you have them cleaned and flow tested?
Go to a junkyard to get your injectors or browse around zilvia. You can usually get sets of stock KA injcetors on the cheap, just have them cleaned and flow tested and they'll be like new.
Make sure you lube the lower o-rings whenever you install injectors too, or you risk tearing them and having them leak.
In fact, pull your rail off with you injectors still installed, but unplug the electrical connectors to them. Turn the key to the "on" position (on;not running though) and take a peek at your injectors. If any fuel is coming out of the rail then your lower o rings are toast anyways.
the ones that were on the car were all different(they looked different as in not a complete set) when i bought the car. after a couple months, 2 of the 4 went out so i just decided to buy a complete set from a injector remanufacturer(which are the 290cc's).
i don't mind spending a little extra for a new set..which looks like what i'll be doing..
i've heard a lot of good things about deatschwerks so i think i'll go with them.

Croustibat
03-21-2012, 04:31 AM
I have heard a lot of bad things about them, but on bigger injectors.

For the price of your injectors you could get your car remapped. I would go with a remap, it will net a bit of performance increase. You could also ask a tuner to just get the injectors "dialed in" (latency and K changes mostly, 20min job at most including time to setup the car) , it is quite fast and easy to do, and they will charge less than a complete tune.

dkim1985
03-21-2012, 12:27 PM
I have heard a lot of bad things about them, but on bigger injectors.

For the price of your injectors you could get your car remapped. I would go with a remap, it will net a bit of performance increase. You could also ask a tuner to just get the injectors "dialed in" (latency and K changes mostly, 20min job at most including time to setup the car) , it is quite fast and easy to do, and they will charge less than a complete tune.
huh..interesting. didn't know i could do that.
so would i just go to them and tell them that i put in bigger injectors and need the car remapped?
how much would something like that cost? (avg)

Is it possible to do this myself?
I'm pretty tech savvy. I already have the USB Consult cable and Datascan hooked up to my macbook pro running a virtual Windows XP..

dkim1985
03-23-2012, 09:08 PM
my friend told me i can just get an air fuel controller by Apex'i or something, would that work?

anybody have any AFC recommondations?
(i'm not a fan of having a bunch of gauges and what not..)

airman
03-28-2012, 02:34 PM
You could also get an adjustable FPR and turn the pressure down by a few PSI.

You can't just get a stock ECU "tuned". It would need to be chipped first, THEN it can use a new map.

dkim1985
03-28-2012, 02:51 PM
You could also get an adjustable FPR and turn the pressure down by a few PSI.

You can't just get a stock ECU "tuned". It would need to be chipped first, THEN it can use a new map.

ahh..roger that.

regarding the FPR..i kinda feel like thats just limiting the fuel injectors, no?
like wouldn't i be able to get more power out of adjusting the air flow to make use of the larger injectors?

EDIT:
Just ordered a Apexi AFC Neo..yay? nay?

dkim1985
04-02-2012, 10:30 AM
installed the afc neo myself..and she seems to be running pretty good now after a few setting adjustments.

check engine light is still on but i'll just reset it and do some more tests tonight. we'll see how that goes..

GroundPerformance
04-02-2012, 12:49 PM
You sure went to alot of trouble for some stock injectors issue. I have a clean Fuel rail with stock injectors bolt in ready to go. Simpler fix and no AFC needed. I'll even help you install it.

dkim1985
04-02-2012, 01:06 PM
These weren't stock injectors.
they were 'supposed' to be replacements for the stock injectors but they were rated incorrectly at 290cc instead of 270cc.

i'd rather spend the money for new injectors than used ones so it was either pay for a new set or find a used afc and hook it up. decided to go with the afc since its something i can mess around with and hopefully a little more power out of it.

thanks, though.

GroundPerformance
04-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I can respect that. But personally you just spent way too much and made things a little complicated for such a simple problem. GLWT!

dkim1985
04-02-2012, 01:31 PM
i already have the AFC and got it installed myself. paid $180 shipped for the unit itself.

a new set of injectors would of costed me close to $300..