PDA

View Full Version : S13 SR20DET Rev Limiter Question

winter
03-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Just recently purchased a vehicle with a redtop S13 SR20 in it, and the tach went out after like a day of owning it (It's an RX7 FC). I'm kind of afraid to find out, but anyone know if there's any way to check or make sure that there's a rev limiter on the stock ECU? Previous owner doesn't know either (lol).

I'm not sure what the redline is (I am guesstimating the highest I've revved it to was around 4 or 5K) but I'm wondering if I either have nothing to worry about or if there's a way I can make sure it's on, or an impossibility for it to be disabled VIA ECU.

I attempted to take the gauge cluster out, but quite a pain to try to yoink it out of the dashboard (it wasn't long enough for me to turn it around or try to pull it out).

I typically don't rev it too high, but plans are to drift this car, and the last thing I want is an over-rev. Thanks!

KiLLeR2001
03-11-2012, 02:51 PM
If all the appropriate wires are hooked up to the ECU it'll be fine. Redline is 7500 rpms.

winter
03-11-2012, 05:07 PM
what constitutes as appropriate? the car was wired properly

KiLLeR2001
03-11-2012, 05:20 PM
what constitutes as appropriate? the car was wired properly

SR20DET Swap Engine Harness Wiring Diagram Guide SR SR20 (http://www.frsport.com/SR20DET-Swap-Engine-Harness-Wiring-Diagram-Guide-SR-SR20_t_26.html)

I believe the ECU gets the RPM signal from how fast the CAS spins. The yellow/red stripe wire for the tachometer I believe is only for sending the signal to the tach so it's readable for the user. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the rev limiter should still work even if the tach is not operational. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can confirm this though... :2f2f:

winter
03-27-2012, 09:29 PM
SR20DET Swap Engine Harness Wiring Diagram Guide SR SR20 (http://www.frsport.com/SR20DET-Swap-Engine-Harness-Wiring-Diagram-Guide-SR-SR20_t_26.html)

I believe the ECU gets the RPM signal from how fast the CAS spins. The yellow/red stripe wire for the tachometer I believe is only for sending the signal to the tach so it's readable for the user. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the rev limiter should still work even if the tach is not operational. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can confirm this though... :2f2f:

I found out through a friend that it's not possible to override (unless you use a Bee*R or something) and that the stock fuel cut / rev limiter will be in place. I'm working on fixing the tach as well, thanks for the yellow/red wire callout, going to chase it down.