PDA

View Full Version : Weird timing chain noise. Guides already removed.

Pro ViZIon
03-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Yes I know this kind of thing has been covered before, 26 times according to the search but none similar to my case that was answered.

Ok so my '93 KA24DE is making a horrible timing chain noise even though the 2 upper guides have been removed already. A little history, i just swapped heads and re-used the timing chain and tensioner.

The weird thing about the rattle is that it starts happening once you get around 2,500 rpm. It doesn't make any sound when decelerating or wot. Only partial throttle. Like keeping a steady pace. I have replaced the tensioner already and it got slightly better. The noise is fairly loud but I know its the chain because it has marks all over it now and when I changed the tensioner the first time it had absolutely no pressure in it. Once I started to unbolt it however the tensioner popped out and was keeping the chain tight?

My guesses are either low oil pressure (no light comes on though) or the oil passage to the tensioner is clogged up.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Frank_Jaeger
03-03-2012, 03:57 PM
The chain might be bouncing off your upper timing-chain cover. Check it for gouges.

What viscosity oil are you running? Have you ever ran "engine restoration" gunk?

Pro ViZIon
03-03-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm using Mobil 1 full syn 10w-30. Like I said though I have all the guides on the upper timing chain removed. All that's there is the tensioner.

R@ddy
03-03-2012, 10:55 PM
we'll could be one of two things.
1. i hope its not the case but, on my SR it happened around ~2500 rpm. thought it was the chain, WRONG it was rod knock. did it for about 1.5 yrs till it gave out.

2. timing chain has stretched out a bit. might have excess play therefore causing the rattling.

Pro ViZIon
03-04-2012, 09:19 AM
I hope It's not rod knock. It never did that prior to the head swap.

Frank_Jaeger
03-06-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm using Mobil 1 full syn 10w-30. Like I said though I have all the guides on the upper timing chain removed. All that's there is the tensioner.
I'm not talking about the upper timing chain guide, I'm talking about the upper timing chain cover. The plate you had to remove to get to the right guide and tensioner. In all likelihood you had to beat it off with a rubber mallet when you did this. I'll bet if you look at it on the inside you'll see it's starting to get chewed up. I removed my guides and now my chain hits the cover (barely though, it's a helluva lot less noise than before). It only does it at a certain RPM range too.

Also just to warn you, a loose chain can jump easy. If it jumps a tooth you might be okay, but if it jumps any more the engine will trash itself.

pacotaco345
03-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Just man up and do what I did. Pull the whole motor out and take the front of the engine off. Took me 2 days to replace ALL my timing stuff, including an oil pump and a $120 ebay kit. I now have better oil pressure than before and no more timing chain death rattle. Taking the guides off is stupid, because now all you're doing is shaving pieces of aluminum off the timing cover into the oil..

Frank_Jaeger
03-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Just man up and do what I did. Pull the whole motor out and take the front of the engine off. Took me 2 days to replace ALL my timing stuff, including an oil pump and a $120 ebay kit. I now have better oil pressure than before and no more timing chain death rattle. Taking the guides off is stupid, because now all you're doing is shaving pieces of aluminum off the timing cover into the oil..
I've read about those chains snapping. While it's good advice to recommend doing the timing right, it's not good advice to recommend eBay parts prone to breakage. With something like timing I wouldn't trust anything beyond OEM if not a performance oriented part.

Also I have zero visible shavings in my oil. I had a magnetic drain plug and there was absolutely nothing on it each time I changed my oil. Not even "dust." My 220,000+ KA runs fine for having a "timing chain death rattle."

venom2034
03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
been there, done that, I can almost bet my life savings that you will need to replace the upper timing chain and the tensioner. Believe it or not the Chain does stretch ever so slightly and that bit will allow it to slap around on the valve cover. If Your certain that the noise comes from the top, then the above is your guaranteed fix.

pacotaco345
03-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I've read about those chains snapping. While it's good advice to recommend doing the timing right, it's not good advice to recommend eBay parts prone to breakage. With something like timing I wouldn't trust anything beyond OEM if not a performance oriented part.

Also I have zero visible shavings in my oil. I had a magnetic drain plug and there was absolutely nothing on it each time I changed my oil. Not even "dust." My 220,000+ KA runs fine for having a "timing chain death rattle."

Well It's been a year now and my timing chain still hasn't snapped... Also my motor ran fine before replaced the timing chain but it was getting pretty annoying shutting my car off every time I went in a drive thru. Not to mention I was embarrassed whenever I was sitting at a stoplight with my car rattling away

Juantwo3
03-29-2012, 07:27 PM
SOoooo did anyone everyfigure out the problem??? my 240 is making the same noise!

h2v7
03-30-2012, 09:02 AM

yes i would and did the same thing when replacing mine after hearing slapping

and i went with a better kit than ebay. i dunno about the reliability of the ebay kits

LowEnough?
10-11-2013, 03:15 PM
I am having this exact same issue, did you ever determine what it was?? I'm stumped.:picardfp: