PDA

View Full Version : Question about Steering Wheel.

Mamba240
02-29-2012, 01:04 AM
Hows it going fam. I just had a quick question about my steering wheel. I have a 96 240sx and whenever I go on the highway my steering wheel will tend to vibrate to an extent whenever it hits a small bump. Likewise after a while of driving when I turn the steering wheel left or right it will make a howling noise.

My question is it my tie rod on the steering wheel itself? I recently had a wheel alignment on the car. I dont know what else it could be. Any help would be appreciated, Im new here as well so please no hate. Thanks in advance.

lude4life13
02-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Try finding out if a wheel bearing is bad.

rcdad123
02-29-2012, 10:19 AM
the howling noise is coming from the power steering pump. the vibration could be a few things. inspect rack and pinion mounting bushings and inner and outer tie rods.

Mamba240
02-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the opinion guys. @rcdad123 - Yeahh I suspected that it would be the power steering pump. I thought I had a leak from the power steering, but I checked it out and still have sufficient amount of power steering fluid left.

s13 @ fullboost
02-29-2012, 04:22 PM
check ball joints, wheel bearing as mentioned and also rack mounts make sure there tight check all front suspension make sure nothing is bent also the front subframe could have shifted causing your alignment so go out of wack there all possibility's

Walperstyle
02-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Jack the car up so its safe, then manhandle your wheels and see if they are 'shifty' or have any clunking noises. You should also visually inspect the front subframe to the wheels for any wear.

Mamba240
02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks again. I actually got into a fender bender on the passenger side thats why. So these possibilities might be it. It just weird that the howling noises only come when Im about to park my car or pull in for a small turn.