PDA

View Full Version : miata question...

driftxninja
02-28-2012, 07:07 PM
i know this is mostly for s chassis and z's but i was just wanting to see if someone could help me... just with general knowledge

about to buy a miata. worried about one thing. the engine sounds great to me. the exhaust sounds nice it passed smog etc. it seems great. but when i shifted it, the rpms kind of stuck around for a second or two before falling down... idk why or if thats normal iim used to s13's so i don't know much about miata.

also what is the mileage expectancy of these things? the one I'm looking at is 170k as of now. I've seen them on craigslist people were saying 300k and running.

mine is a 1990 miata. please help! looking for answer tonight. thanks
Josh

diddykong
02-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Ive got a 97 miata. the revs may hold if its not up to operating temperature and they have fairly heavy flywheels from the factory. If you want a miata I suggest getting one from 94 and up. it will come with better paint, more power, a good differential and also better rigidity. though they are very reliable find one with lower miles.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/klablacka1/0a3a0b7b.jpg

s14unimog
02-28-2012, 08:08 PM
could be timing too. The 1.6 may be gutless but it'll run forever. I bought a 91 for my wife and she's about to roll over 200k; be sure to stay on top of that timing belt though.

Wrong section though...

driftxninja
02-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Wasn't sure what section lol I figured. And how much to usually replace timing belt? Also to first response this is only one in my price range of two grand so I gotta take what I can get. Need a car for school and work. Not doing hard driving with this... Yet

s14unimog
02-29-2012, 10:49 AM
"off topic" is probably the best place.

I depends on what you replace and where you get your parts. I strongly suggest replacing the water pump while your in there; it's behind the timing belt.