PDA

View Full Version : ka24 headgasket???

Krogerbagger669
01-19-2004, 08:37 AM
i was just wondering...how hard exactly would it be to change this out. i just bought a 240 yesterday with a blown headgasket on an 80k motor.i also wanted to know how much money this would be to fix. thanks...i dont know if i want to fix it or just get an sr20.
--john's g/f--
~Gabrielle~ :fruit:

Ghettokracker71
01-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Hello Gabrielle and congrats on buying a 240sx:)....What year is it ? Does it have the DOHC(KA24DE) or SOHC(KA24E) engine..Do yah know ? I recently contacted a local shop about a full turn-key S13 SR20DET swap(I have a 91 Fasback,auto trans and DOHC engine) and they said it would cost about $5k for...

*Price of engine,transmission,ECU/Wiring harness
*Price of engine mounts,hoses,belts...etc.
*Price of manual trans swap(I got an auto)
*Price of total installation,turn-key package

Its alot easier to swap an SR into a chassis that came with the DOHC KA24DE engine(what I have)....Hope this has helped!

I've never done a head gasket before,just a head gasket...so I can't help you there,I've rebuilt a couple of engines but thats different...

ryan hagen
01-19-2004, 11:54 AM
expect at least a day for the project, i d pic up a factory service manaul if you plan to do it your self, dont get a chiltons or hayes book cause they are on like 3 cars, and are half as thick, the fsm is 2" all on your year 240......the hardest part i d have to say when i did mine was getting the intake manifold off and on......
and make sure to get like brass scraper, and make sure u get all you old headgasket material off the head and top of block, its one of the most important things.....

Krogerbagger669
01-19-2004, 02:15 PM
ok...a little about my project-type car...1995 black SE, 5spd. hmmm it came with a short shifter, and has 300zw brakes on it...also the guy gave me some turbo stuff...some gauges and a new blitz turbo timer. and the motor...ka24de w/80k miles. right now i just plan on getting the car running. i have always wanted a 240 ;( NOW I HAVE ONE and i havent even driven it! i will be so happy once it runs and i can drive it. it also has a few drifting scars(previous owner??). he wouldnt admit to it, but i know he HAD to have drifted it b/c the way the dent is. ..he says a car in a parking lot hit it. anyway, step two would be getting those ugly dents out. im trying to get as much out of a grand as possible....anyone know how to get dents out? or should i leave it to a professional?

Ghettokracker71
01-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Hmm...best to leave to a pro for that! Although sounds like you paid a pretty good price for a nice S14...good luck,and hit us up with what you end up doing

importtuner
01-21-2004, 12:14 AM
Take the head to a respectable machine shop to be checked for cracks look at the valves. Check to see if its warped at all, if the blown head gasket was caused by overheating. the factory shave limit is .008 in. Mine was shaved .016 and my engine is now screwed and is still off by .011. The shop would not take responsiblity. Im currently putting in an 98 engine. Took me about 9hr to fix, now wasted. By the way do not mix up the valve shims, they look the same but are different by thousandths of an inch. Common mistake by first timers.

importtuner
01-21-2004, 12:28 AM
cost:
Fix HEAD about 140 including machining
and now 98 ka24de 75000mi w/ auto tranny(not needed) $350 plus $1 pilot bearing (hook up on parts)
only $140 and time wasted :bash:

Riielle
01-21-2004, 06:10 AM
9 HOURS! understandable...considering all you have to do to get to the head gasket. well, the guy who sold me my car said that they didnt put enough coolant in it, then they towed it somewhere after they found that out...anywho, i have a guy thats doing all the work on my motor, hes checking for cracks and what not. and if i do have a cracked head, my friend said i could have his head(he blew up his motor)...if its not messed up. so hopefully it wont cost me too too much, plus the head gasket from nissan is 50 dollars. :bigok: