PDA

View Full Version : Tomei 2-way Grip Review

Flybert
01-19-2004, 01:46 AM
I've been driving with the 2-way for a couple of weeks and have a done a few canyon runs to comment on its characteristics. I used to have an open diff so any differences I talk about are comparison to that. Also, this all based on canyon driving.

What I've noticed from grip driving with a 2-way is that the lines you take must be very smoothe and you must limit any jerky steering motion that you make, otherwise it is pretty easy to break the backend loose especially when going over slightly uneven pavement. I've also noticed that when you gas it coming out of turns that the back end kind of feels like you have 4-wheel steering and it just follows you nicely. It distributes the torque beautifully. One other thing that I noticed after driving around on it for the first week is the backend just feels planted better in the turns. I've done a few donuts and it is immensely easier than with an open diff. I've also tried kicking out the backend with a clutch kick and that was much easier as well. I'm just waiting to get out on the track to actually try something cool.

As for the clunking, a lot of the clunking has gone away after breaking it in and driving it around for a while but it still clunks really loud on sharp turns like when you're parking. I've also noticed a high pitched hum on occasions when driving straight. I'm not sure if it's coming from the diff but it sounds like it is. It's a new sound that came after the diff install so I'm pretty sure it's from the diff. The only other thing it could be is my stupid driveshaft. I think it's not balanced or something because I accidently disassembled the big rubber bushing when doing my KA swap (we thought we could leave part of the driveshaft in the tranny) and I'm not sure if it's lined up right on the diff.

Var
01-19-2004, 03:14 AM
could be the bearings in your diff going bad
could be normal with the lsd install
could be the bearing in your transmission went bad from "experimenting" with the lsd
i dont think it could be the driveshaft but who knows?

Flybert
01-19-2004, 05:47 PM
could be the bearings in your diff going bad
could be normal with the lsd install
could be the bearing in your transmission went bad from "experimenting" with the lsd
i dont think it could be the driveshaft but who knows?

I do have a separate vibration problem that I haven't mentioned. I get vibration from where the driveshaft goes into the transmission when decelerating at 2500-2000. This vibration is pretty harsh in 4th gear and I pretty much stay out of these ranges while I'm driving so I don't experience this but this may have contributed to the high pitch hum. I really wish I had a good friend who had an S13 that I could borrow there driveshaft for a half hour but I don't. I might just go get mine checked next weekend if I have the chance.

adey
01-19-2004, 05:58 PM
I find your findings a little contrary to mine...
I noticed, after my LSD install, that the car actually understeered a little bit (more) entering corners, but powered out of them nicely. I attribute the turn-in understeer to the clutch plates locking up (too) quickly, thus pushing the car... maybe your LSD isn't as aggressive as mine? ... who knows.
The powering out I think is just the fact that both wheels are now driving the car out of the corner, rather than one or one and a half. :p

Don't forget to change your fluid regularly!

Flybert
01-19-2004, 06:07 PM
I find your findings a little contrary to mine...
I noticed, after my LSD install, that the car actually understeered a little bit (more) entering corners, but powered out of them nicely. I attribute the turn-in understeer to the clutch plates locking up (too) quickly, thus pushing the car... maybe your LSD isn't as aggressive as mine?

I didn't say anything about corner entry. I was talking about the grip experienced around the apex and coming out of the turn.

adey
01-19-2004, 07:07 PM
ahh I see! I just reread the post and found you mentioned gassing it "coming out" of a turn. excuse me!
Do you feel any understeer on entry as well, then? or is it kinda hard to tell? or no?

Var
01-19-2004, 07:59 PM
How much did the setup cost? how much was installation? did you re-use the same axle shafts? was it worth the money? do you wish you got a 1.5 way?

Flybert
01-19-2004, 10:05 PM
Adey and Westborough:

I do feel that there is a little understeer under corner entry but I tend to brake pretty early and take it in smoothe and I've never really had a problem with it. I'll go again later tonight to try to get a good feel for it and I'll right about it late tonight. As it is right now, I feel it's good for grip. The reason why I did get the 2-way is because I have been aiming to have a drift setup so I took the plunge hoping that I wouldn't sacrifice my car's handling. I got mine from JSPEC with install. They are having a good deal on it right now. I don't know if I should post the price because Sam doesn't even put it on his website but I think install comes out to $100 and that's not bad. The tomei 2-way technichal trax advance is for 240's with open diffs. It's a straight drop in so it's cheaper than sourcing output shafts. I did consider going 1.5 way but I didn't have the money to get the output shafts and I'm happy with what I got.

Flybert
01-20-2004, 02:22 AM
While driving home from the GF's place, I drove through my usual interesting freeway onramps and tried to concentrate on what exactly I was feeling in the turns. I do definitely feel understeer on corner entry and through out the turn. The problem is that I had about 200 lbs of stuff in the trunk so it's not exactly the same. I'll try to get a better feel for it tomorrow without all that shit in the back.

Var
02-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Flybert i just posted a thread about the 2-way and i forgot you had written about it. Did you learn to cope with the understeer? Is there any ways to set up a 2-way to act more like a 1.5 way without sacrificing locking strength on accel? thanks in advance

Flybert
02-06-2004, 12:04 AM
I have learned more about this diff since the original post. I took my car down a nice long canyon and a good part of it is wet. On wet corner entry, you experience a lot of understeer. If the corner was tight and wet (good for other things) :boink: , you have to be really careful with the throttle because you will experience some severe lockup oversteer if you give it too much gas. For canyon grip driving, a 2-way with full lock is less than ideal. For track driving, I think it would be more forgiving. I am going to buttonwillow saturday so I will get some open track experience to comment on its characteristics. I think with wider longer turns and less angled corner entry, this thing will be pretty good. If you are all about drift, it is a nice diff. Also, the price is good from jspec. If money was no concern, I would be rocking a Nismo GT Pro with 1.5 set to max lock.

As for setting up the diff, I read kaaz's post about getting a 1.5 way kit for it. That would be pretty sweet but that would defeat the point of getting it cheap from jspec. If you have the money to shell out, I would get some kind of 1.5 set to full lock. I just didn't have the money at the time and am happy with my purchase.

I'm still learning more about my diff every day so I'll add more if I learn something new. I'm sure that will be after this saturday after a full day of track driving.

Var
03-04-2004, 12:17 PM
sorry to drag this up again but i just finally ordered my Tomei 2-way. Flybert(if you read this) did it come with instructions on how to change the locking characteristics? Is there any place on the internet i can read about how to change locking strength? Have you messed with yours at all since you installed it? What % did you have it set to? I heard if it's too much it will cause a lot of understeer. I was thinking ~40% would be cool for mountain driving and for a track newb. what do you think?

240eggsx
03-04-2004, 01:52 PM
...instructions on how to change the locking characteristics? Is there any place on the internet i can read about how to change locking strength?

You have to disassemble the differential and change the order of the clutch plates in it. Imagine them like this

-ABABABAB|+|BABABABA- 100% lock
-AABBABAB|+|BABABBAA- 66% lock
-AABBAABB|+|BBAABBAA- 33% lock

Friction takes place between the A and B plates, so the fewer you have together the less it will lock.

Var
03-04-2004, 02:14 PM
so is there a way to set up 50%? if not i'll go with 66%, i guess that would be ok for starters. I hope it doesnt understeer too much.

240eggsx
03-04-2004, 02:45 PM
If the reason you are considering changing the clutch plates is fear of understeer on corner entry, dont do it. Just change the way you go into the corner...

Var
03-04-2004, 03:05 PM
how? sliding? or slower? or different? explain

balmo
03-04-2004, 03:15 PM
flyber, your review is from open diff to 2-way?

Var
03-04-2004, 03:33 PM
I've been driving with the 2-way for a couple of weeks and have a done a few canyon runs to comment on its characteristics. I used to have an open diff so any differences I talk about are comparison to that.

read before you post

Flybert
03-04-2004, 04:36 PM
I'd also like to add this. My diff is set at 100% so turn in is a little slow because of the understeer forced by the rear end. With it set like this, it is much better for drifting than grip because there isn't much you can do to make the corner entry quicker. Yeah, you can brake earlier and accelerate in or something like that but it would be much better to have it set at a lower setting. I had a chance to take it on the track for a drift day and it was amazing. So much easier to initiate and control the drift. It seriously gave me a lot of confidence and car control. I highly recomend it for drifting with it set at 100%. I wouldn't mind setting it to a lower setting for drift as well. Westborough, call up Kaaz if you have any questions. They have good customer service and they will let you know what's up.