PDA

View Full Version : My Free Turbo

Var
01-18-2004, 07:51 PM
This is my RAYJAY turbo that my dad gave me for free. Im still contemplating whether i should install it or not. I dont know what to compare it to size-wise. Does it look big or small?? I dont want a laggy turbo--i know it depends on efficiency too.. Give me your opinions. Thanks

Jeff240sx
01-19-2004, 12:26 AM
This is my RAYJAY turbo that my dad gave me for free. Im still contemplating whether i should install it or not. I dont know what to compare it to size-wise. Does it look big or small?? I dont want a laggy turbo--i know it depends on efficiency too.. Give me your opinions. Thanks

Looks about as big as a T4 on the compressor side. Flip it around and take a snap of the turbine side. Spool time depends on compressor, turbine, the housings, a lot of stuff. Best thing is to take detailed pictures and we may be able to piece together an idea of what it is.
-Jeff

Ghettokracker71
01-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Well hey...if you don't want it you could always regift it...(to me of course! :jerkit: )...hah hah !

Var
01-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Well hey...if you don't want it you could always regift it...(to me of course! :jerkit: )...hah hah !

haha. if only the world was so great. i'm gonna take some pics of the rest of the turbo after i get off work. I was thinking i want to run higher than normal compression but less boost. I figured in theory it should be more responsive. right? most ppl run 8.5:1 and up to 20psi. I was thinking 9.5:1 compression bored over 20 with ~ 10psi with an FMIC and JWT ECU and fuel system. With higher compression the engine should have more low end plus it should spool the turbo quicker. IONO? maybe im wrong.
:newbie:
im aiming for 300whp on a SOHC.

GlacierFreeze
01-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Higher compression you'll have more low end tq and supposedly the turbo spools a little faster (hotter egt from higher compression i guess).

uiuc240
01-19-2004, 01:10 PM
If you are going to all that trouble to build the motor, I would HIGHLY suggest one of two things.

1. Send the turbo out to have it measured and tested to see if it will even work with the flow characteristics of your motor.

2. Buy a turbo that's actually designed to work with a KA24.

Otherwise, just slap the turbo on in the cheapest way possible, and see how it runs. When it blows the motor, find a new block and rebuild that. At least you'll know something about the turbo. For instance, if it doesn't spool until 5k, that's not going to be much fun. Also, it looks like a rather old-skool, restrictive, low efficiency design. But I've only got one pic to go on.

Eric

sykikchimp
01-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Rajay came in three wheel trims (sizes) they are "E" "F" and "B", In both the compressor and exhaust turbine, the E trim wheel is the largest, the F trim the middle size and B trim the smallest. You will find the turbos typically sized with like wheels on both sides, sometimes however you will find the next larger size on the compressor side, such as a EF turbo where the compressor is an E trim and the exhaust a F trim. The smallest rajay in regard to trim would be a BB turbo and the largest would be a EE turbo. Also noteworthy is the exhaust housing designs and A/R ratios. The smaller A/R sizes such as .25 and .40 came with housings that have three bolt flanges on the inlet side, larger housings such as .60 A/R have four bolt flanges on the inlet.

B trims are easy to ID. Lookat the compressor wheel thru the induction hole... It should look like a small radiator fan with lots o smal blades.

The E & F Trim comp wheels are very different, Aletrenating large & Smal fins on the wheel.

Exhaust A/R are noted on the exhaust inlet side of the housing (Stamped in)

Var
01-19-2004, 07:32 PM
sorry for newbish remarks. but what's A/R?

They are definitely 3 bolt flanges as you can see. The fins on the exhaust side are not alternating in size. I can't see through compressor side.

Sykikchimp since you know about these turbos somehow, most ppl never heard of em..can you tell me more about them. This turbo is pretty old. There is a date stamped on it 7/27/81 ..but my dad says it's never been used before and he's had it for a long ass time. the plugs for the oil inlet/outlet are still there. I found out Rayjay went out of business and was bought out by turbonetics. I dont know if it's gonna be worth throwing this turbo on or not. ? what do you think?

Var
01-19-2004, 07:45 PM
what's another option of a turbo that will spool quickly but still flow pretty decent.? im open to suggestion and links if you have any. thx

96twofourty
01-19-2004, 07:57 PM
t04b .63ar stageII

Var
01-19-2004, 08:00 PM
that doesnt mean anything to me. you got a link? manufacturer? anything?

sykikchimp
01-19-2004, 08:14 PM
The turbine A/R is stamped inside the inlet, but it is hard to read on most. the characters are only about 3/16" high.

Can you read it?

Var
01-19-2004, 08:33 PM
The turbine A/R is stamped inside the inlet, but it is hard to read on most. the characters are only about 3/16" high.

Can you read it?

nope cant see any numbers. but when i looked inside i noticed some wierd scarring in the inlet. It looks as if someone had tried to port it or polish it or something with a dremel tool. ??????

uiuc240 you may be right about slapping it on and seeing how it works. What's the most basic setup i can use with my stock ka. This thing doesnt have a wastegate. i need a manifold, injectors and piping. the only problem is it has a wierd flange so it would require extra work to make it fir on the available manifolds for the KA. Fuck i just may end up selling it on EBAY.

sykikchimp
01-19-2004, 08:40 PM
also, you can measure the wheels

There are 3 different wheels for each side of that turbo. You can identify them by diameter.

Compressor side;
B=1.625"
F=1.85"
E=2.2"

Turbine side;
B=2.07"
F=2.325"
E=2.460"

TeckniX
01-21-2004, 01:39 AM
BTW.. since your a/r question wasn't answered.. ;)
A/R =The Area / Radius ratio
A = Area of throat at intake
R = radius of scroll in the housing of either the compressor or exhaust turbine