PDA

View Full Version : exedy Clutch oem vs stage 2, torque ratings, please help!

ultimateirving
02-25-2012, 01:02 PM
So i been shopping/searching around for a clutch and the concensus has been that exedy is the best for the money. What i noticed is that i was not able to find solid information reguarding torque ratings, so website stated good up to 290/ft lb of torque, while others said up to "400whp" i know clutches should be rated by torque so can anyone confirm that 290 is the limit of stage 2?

Second question is that I found that an exedy oem replacement was rated at 280/ft lbs, if thats true it is much cheaper of a clutch and can handle about the same power.. with that logic, would this ebay kit be acceptable since it includes a lightened flywheel?

EXEDY Clutch & FIDANZA Flywheel SILVIA S13 S14 SR20DET | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-Clutch-FIDANZA-Flywheel-SILVIA-S13-S14-SR20DET-/310094151742?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item48330d403e)

Thanks ahead of the time for help

zombiewolf513
02-26-2012, 10:13 AM
What's your setup and what do you do, or plan to do, with the car?

A stock KA will burn through a stock clutch in a few clutch kicks. I've done it.

After I toasted the stock clutch I went to an Exedy stage 2 and Fidanza FW. Even though it took some serious time to get used to, I loved the setup. The clutch was practically an on/off switch and made clutch kicks a flick of the ankle. It's an incredible clutch on a stock KA. Once I did my SR swap I looked at the clutch after about 8 months of abuse and it looked practically brand new. I have a Spec stage 3 on my SR now, it just isn't the same, because I have to press the pedal farther to disengage I pretty much have to slip my foot off the side of the clutch pedal to get the same effect as the Exedy stage 2.

Hope this helps a little bit.

jr_ss
02-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Exedy underrates their clutches to protect themselves as the manufacturer. There have been multiple people that have taken their Exedy clutches over "rated" trq and lasted a long time. What torque level are you looking to be at? What motor? S13 SRs tend to make less trq than the S14/15 variations due to their lack of VTC.

ultimateirving
02-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Ended up buying a spec stage 3. Got a great deal from a local shop $300 bucks. Thanks for the input

Mitsubayati
02-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Exedy underrates their clutches to protect themselves as the manufacturer. There have been multiple people that have taken their Exedy clutches over "rated" trq and lasted a long time..

It's called incorporating a factor of safety.