PDA

View Full Version : Best finish for Polished Lips on wheels? Polished, powdercoated or chrome?

spray2020
02-23-2012, 12:34 AM
I have a set of Super Advan SA3's like these:

http://www.upgarage.com/upgarage/gazou/1009/1009104/1009104001639/1009104001639s0.jpg

I have them all apart, with the bolts removed. The original finish was just a clear paint/powdercoat on top of the aluminum.
I stripped the old clearcoat off and sanded one of the lips up to 2000 grit and polshed it. But I am worried that when they are exposed to the weather they will oxidize and but very difficult to repolish again around all of the bolts.

I thought about sanding them to 400 grit to a "brushed" look, and having my powdercoater do them in clear, but I don't really like the brushed finish on the lips.
Also, I thought about having the polished aluminum wheel powdercoated- but I am afraid that the clear would be prone to easily chipping or cracking off since there is not much adhesion.

Lastly I thought about just having them chrome dipped, which I guess is expensive but would give a more durable finish?

any suggestions?