PDA

View Full Version : Clutch engagement?

redline racer510
02-20-2012, 09:20 PM
I just finished my RB25 swap and drove it home and just wanted to double check my clutch engagement height from other people on this forum. I have act 6 puck sprung and my clutch engages about an inch or so from the clutch pedal fully being pressed in. Is this normal, if not how far does the pedal have to be depressed before the clutch engages. The fsm states that there needs to be approx. 3mm of clutch free play but i really don't get what they are saying

slothonaleash
02-20-2012, 09:27 PM
You can adjust this. There's a little threaded rod/bracket mechanism behind the clutch pedal that you can screw/unscrew depending whether you want the clutch to engage higher or lower. Make it engage where you feel comfortable. As long as it's not slipping (too high of engagement) or hard to get in gear (too low of engagement), then you're fine. Unless of course there is something wrong in your hydraulic system causing your pedal to be low--in which case it will probably get lower as time goes on.

dragooner00
02-20-2012, 09:40 PM
generally you want around a 1/2 inch of free play. autotech student currently in transmission's doing clutch work haha but sloth is right, there will be a rod on the back that you can use to adjust it

redline racer510
02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
I adjusted the rod and it engages about an inch or so from the floor and there are no signs of slipping. So free-play is the distance between the floor and the distance of engagement?

Darren
02-21-2012, 12:04 PM
free play is the distance from the top of the pedal (without your foot on it) and where the clutch starts to engage... feels like slack

redline racer510
02-22-2012, 08:45 AM
so your saying the clutch needs to engage 1/2 an inch before completely letting off the clutch pedal seems kind of high to me, doesnt the clutch master cylinder move about 5/8". Wont that cause the clutch to slip because of not being able to fully engage?

di-devol
02-22-2012, 12:54 PM
No not where it engages, they are saying you should be able to move the pedal without resistance 1/2" from the top. Where it engages is where it engages.

dragooner00
02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
when you put your foot on the pedal, you should be able to push your foot down approx. a half an inch before the clutch starts, aka you shouldn't feel any resistance for a half an inch.

pacotaco345
02-22-2012, 03:38 PM
I'LL EXPLAIN IT CAPTAIN!! free play is the distance the pedal will travel if you grab the pedal with your hand and jiggle it up and down. It should jiggle about half an inch

Jtuned_andy
02-22-2012, 04:35 PM
generally you want around a 1/2 inch of free play. autotech student currently in transmission's doing clutch work haha but sloth is right, there will be a rod on the back that you can use to adjust it

1/2"? fuck no FSM says 1-3mm free play, go back to rebuilding small block chevys