PDA

View Full Version : 2nd alternator on an SR

weshole
02-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Has anyone tried to install a 2nd alternator in place of the a/c compressor?
I didnt find anything when I searched.

andrew600
02-20-2012, 08:42 PM
im not sure what you think you need a second alt for, but you dont need one. not even close. not even in the realm of thinking you need one.

curious, why the hell do you think you need one?

weshole
02-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Big tunes!! And to answer anyone that may say to get a alt off of another nissan, Im looking at a minimum of 150 amp requirement. so getting an oe one is pretty much out of the question. It would not last long if I was to get an oem one built up as the smaller case doesnt dissipate heat very well and it wont live. So I was thinking of retrofitting an GM based alternator that is easy to build to produce the output Im after. Which is way less expensive than one of the specialty companies out there.

!Zar!
02-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Check into the Nissan Quest alternator upgrade.

But that will only get you to 100 Amp.

mattack69
02-20-2012, 10:20 PM
^^ Pony Squad delivers!

andrew600
02-21-2012, 07:58 AM
im not sure what you are putting in your 240, but you dont need one that large. they do make 150 amp alts for around 250-300

im on an 80 amp, running full stereo, winch, hid front rear and side lights, small fridge, gps devices. im telling you right now, to get to enough power draw in that 240, you will need like 4 15s, 4 tvs, electric openning doors and trunk. at which point i will flame you until your car starts on fire.

Broadfield
02-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Depending on what all he's running he could easily need a 2nd one. It's amazing how many people think their alternator is big enough. A lot of people exceed the output of their alternator and don't know it. At that point current is drawn from your battery to help out the alternator... which is not what you want to happen. A single ARC Audio XDi1000.1 amplifier has 120 amps of fusing on it for example. 99.5% of audio owners who have a fairly large current demand do not have the proper setup to supply the amount of current needed... they just think they do. Just because you turn on your system and it works doesn't mean it's up to par. You are most likely leaving wattage on the table, dynamic headroom is decreased etc. etc. This guy actually wants to do it right, so kudos to him. It's all about the amperage.... amperage x voltage = wattage. So to answer the OP's question, it's just a matter of coming up with a custom bracket to mount the alternator down there. It needs to be pretty exact with the proper spacing so the pulley lines up.

So the real question to the OP is: what are you going to be running for amplifiers?

weshole
02-21-2012, 10:45 AM
As of right now, im running a Zapco Reference 1100.1 to 2 Atomic Apocalypse 10's and a Zapco 1000.4 to some Re Audio XXX 6.5 Comps. And i plan on adding to this. You are correct in the fact that so many people over run their alternator. I also know that if you run some big amps and do NOT supply them with the correct power, your speakers (subs) wont live long.