PDA

View Full Version : Installing NIStune / Uh oh! Help!

2.5T_/<ouki
02-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Hi All,
I've attempted to remove and install the nistune chip myself, after finding out it's not as easy as it looks :hey:

Anyway,
While trying to get the stock Eprom out, i managed to gouge out a little piece of the ECU :'(

Is my ECU ruined? I hope not!

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k584/rbkoukis14/photo-13-1.jpg

riptor
02-20-2012, 11:23 PM
as long as the pathways (the lines running throught the board it self) havnnt been compromised...u should be ok. those lines are like little wires except they are under a couple layers of resin and epoxy. so as long as it isnt to terribley deep....should be ok.

2.5T_/<ouki
02-20-2012, 11:59 PM
as long as the pathways (the lines running throught the board it self) havnnt been compromised...u should be ok. those lines are like little wires except they are under a couple layers of resin and epoxy. so as long as it isnt to terribley deep....should be ok.

Thought so! Damn, well those traces are no longer connected. I've got another but wish I didn't have to use it.

Croustibat
02-21-2012, 03:45 AM
I dont think the left one is a problem, it goes to the empty header on the right.

For the other scratch, just follow the tracks and solder a bit of wire instead. It will work fine as long as the wire does not go near a power cable or near the crystal ( oval shaped thing in the lower left corner)

cotbu
02-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Check out the blob by the number 43, clean that up.
I really can't tell how much is damaged from the pic, but there are usually some alternate points available in case, you happen to lift a pad or kill a trace. Have at it with a multimeter. You can link those together with wire, if need be.

I cant even tell if there's still lacquer on there. So before you desolder any more clean up your work area.
BTW, you should have been working from the other side. Kinda looks like you just pried the chip out!

landins13
02-21-2012, 07:39 AM
lesson of the day....pay the 50 bucks to have one of the nistune people put the chip on.

2.5T_/<ouki
02-21-2012, 11:32 AM
I dont think the left one is a problem, it goes to the empty header on the right.

For the other scratch, just follow the tracks and solder a bit of wire instead. It will work fine as long as the wire does not go near a power cable or near the crystal ( oval shaped thing in the lower left corner)

Actually, those empty headers are going to be filled with 4 wires which go to the NIStune board. They are just not wired in a the moment.

Check out the blob by the number 43, clean that up.
I really can't tell how much is damaged from the pic, but there are usually some alternate points available in case, you happen to lift a pad or kill a trace. Have at it with a multimeter. You can link those together with wire, if need be.

I cant even tell if there's still lacquer on there. So before you desolder any more clean up your work area.
BTW, you should have been working from the other side. Kinda looks like you just pried the chip out!

Tested it and it has no continuity. I was working from the other side, but i couldn't get the chip out no matter how good of a desoldering job i did. So i flipped it over and tried to extract the eprom from this way.

lesson of the day....pay the 50 bucks to have one of the nistune people put the chip on.

Haha! Yeah man, lesson learned. I am going to have AutoVaughn Performance install it. They offer a NIStune installation service and they are located in TN which is a lot better than Australia where the NIStune guys are.

Croustibat
02-22-2012, 03:12 AM
Actually, those empty headers are going to be filled with 4 wires which go to the NIStune board. They are just not wired in a the moment.

It is the power header then ? It means you can just trace them backward and solder wires there. They are no signal wires so no problem at all doing that.