PDA

View Full Version : Falken Azenis vs Khumo Exta MX

Var
01-15-2004, 01:13 PM
I would like to know if any of you out there have used the Khumo Exta MX and the Azenis before. How do they compare in grip? Or if you have used the MX compared to a really sticky tire(not es100's or exta 712) like S03's or Toyo T1S.

Halz
01-15-2004, 02:08 PM
http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/nationals/2003/results/groups/sts.html
http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/nationals/2003/results/groups/stsl.html
http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/nationals/2003/results/groups/stx.html
http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/nationals/2003/results/groups/stxl.html

Looks like a toss up between the Falken Azenis and the Kumho Ecsta MX..

Guido1
01-15-2004, 02:43 PM
ive run the falken before good tires

Replicant_S14
01-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Hankook may give us ST guys another choice pretty soon. Maybe ;)

http://members.nasioc.com/UserPics/636/z212Prototype.jpg

Var
01-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Guido1
ive run the falken before good tires

I run azenis currently. Im just figuring out my tire choices for the fronts

I've got them down to a few choices and im trying to find out which is stickier and streetable. I go through Azenis in about 8 or 9 thousand miles. Even with 3 degrees negative camber the outsides go first..and no track time. Only mountains so far.

Falken Azenis(done me right so far but i wanna try new tires)
Kumho Ecsta MX
Kumho V700
Kumho Victoracer V700

one thing is i've heard is that kumho's are slippery but last pretty long compared to falkens..
I'm probably gonna run the ecsta 712's in the rear cause they are pretty slippery.

What's the difference between the V700 and the Victoracer V700?

thx247
01-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Not much of a difference between the ECSTA V700 and the Victoracers. Price are very similar, wear is also similar. You should check the sizes, those are the only differences I have heard of.

LonePhantom
01-15-2004, 06:13 PM
I've had Khumos on my S14 SR20DET and the Falkens. I will never go to Khumos as I have found them to be the most dangerous tyres i've driven on. Almost killed myself in the wet with these tyres. They have no grip at all. I've got the Falkens on the back now and fantastic grip and response wet or dry.

HiPSI
01-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by LonePhantom
I've had Khumos on my S14 SR20DET and the Falkens. I will never go to Khumos as I have found them to be the most dangerous tyres i've driven on. Almost killed myself in the wet with these tyres. They have no grip at all. I've got the Falkens on the back now and fantastic grip and response wet or dry.

i haven't tried the MX yet, but i always got excellent rain traction with the 712's i used to run.

Var
01-15-2004, 09:04 PM
. Almost killed myself in the wet with these tyres. They have no grip at all. I've got the Falkens on the back now and fantastic grip and response wet or dry.

which Kumhos? im guessing the ecta 712?

eyy check out the 710's

LonePhantom
01-15-2004, 10:24 PM
They were Khumo Exta Supras. I've never spoken to anyone who would recomend any Khumo tyres though. I've even had tyre retailers who hated them.

Warwick5s
01-15-2004, 11:54 PM
i had Kumho 712's on my old scirocco 16v (with a ton of suspension work). for what they cost, they're an excellent tire. even got me through a significant amount of snow on multiple occasions.

my complaint about the Azenis is how limited their tire size selection is in smaller tire diameters - i probably won't ever be able to even TRY them. :(

Halz
01-15-2004, 11:54 PM
You can't generalize all Kumho tires under that one underwhelming model you tried.

From the Grassroots Motorsports Novemeber 2002..
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/awaher/GR_street.jpg

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/awaher/GR_mx.jpg

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/awaher/GR_rcomp.jpg

Vatche
01-16-2004, 02:29 AM
i have ecsta supras on my sr s13 and in the wet they suck balls....but in the dry the grip nicely enough

im gonna try azenis next

HiPSI
01-16-2004, 08:27 AM
They were Khumo Exta Supras. I've never spoken to anyone who would recomend any Khumo tyres though. I've even had tyre retailers who hated them.

let's just say that for the price, the 712's are hard to beat. i had a set on my last car (turbo miata) and i could haul balls in the rain except for in spots where there was a lot of deep water, but i don't know of any low profile tire that handles well in deep water;)

sykikchimp
01-16-2004, 10:25 AM
This isn't thread about the 712's.. so can we move on!? The 712's are NOT in the same class of tire as the MX and Azenis sport. I do have to say that my 712's NEVER once hydroplaned, even with only 3/32nd's tread left at 70mph.

anyway.. I've read lately that the MX's are MUCH better at about half depth. Apparently a lot of auto-x guys are running Shaved MX's and stomping the Azenis sport guys. I haven't seen it in person, only internet hearsay.

I've also read the MX's are a little more easy to live with on a daily basis. Better wet traction (especially when you compare azenis and mx with some wear.)

HiPSI
01-16-2004, 11:20 AM
a friend of mine runs the MX's on a miata, and used to run the Azenis on there. from his experience the azenis had a little more grip when they're warm than the mx, but the mx is 10x better in the rain and wears so much better. the only real complaint from him is the noise of both tires.

Replicant_S14
01-16-2004, 11:47 AM
The 712's are NOT in the same class of tire as the MX and Azenis sport.

...neither are the V700s for that matter. This is a bizarre tire discussion.

I haven't run the MXs but the buzz I hear from fellow auto-xers is that it's pretty much a coin toss. My guess is that the MXs might favor heavier cars like ours because the azenis (which I do run) don't like getting hot. The get greasy quick and it's hard to get them back. That's also why I don't like them for open track lapping.

Beyond that, I don't think any of these tires, except for the 712, make good street tires. I take my azenis off for daily driving.

GlacierFreeze
01-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Quick question, doesn't the softer the tire have to do with how well it grips or not necessarily? Also softer wears quicker correct?

Var
01-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by GlacierFreeze
Quick question, doesn't the softer the tire have to do with how well it grips or not necessarily? Also softer wears quicker correct?

zzzzzzz :zzz:

thx247
01-16-2004, 05:19 PM
its not an absolute rule, but generally the softer the tire the better it grips. If you watch racing on tv you can see all the rubber the cars leave on the track and how often they change tires during the race. Its because when those tires are warm, they are damn near glue like.

sykikchimp
01-19-2004, 09:25 AM
...neither are the V700s for that matter. This is a bizarre tire discussion.

I haven't run the MXs but the buzz I hear from fellow auto-xers is that it's pretty much a coin toss. My guess is that the MXs might favor heavier cars like ours because the azenis (which I do run) don't like getting hot. The get greasy quick and it's hard to get them back. That's also why I don't like them for open track lapping.

Beyond that, I don't think any of these tires, except for the 712, make good street tires. I take my azenis off for daily driving.

I agree totally with everything you said. I run the Falkens exclusively at Open track events and they are definately a pain in the ass to deal with after several hot laps.. The 712's imo are great performance street tires.

Replicant_S14
01-19-2004, 10:10 AM
... and they are definately a pain in the ass to deal with after several hot laps..

Since were all over the place in this discussion anyway :) ...any thoughts on a good r-comp tire for track days? "Track day" for me is me and my buds renting a track and going for it. Very casual. Usually only running 20 minutes or so at a time. It's not like I need enduro tire or anything but something that would last for 4 track trips would be kinda cool.

sykikchimp
01-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Kumho v700's, Toyo ra-1, Hankook Ventus Z211

All good r-compounds that I've heard last really well.