PDA

View Full Version : Sr20det Cranks, but wont start.

jdunkz
02-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Have had this issue for awhile now and now I am out of ideas. If anyone can point me in a new direction or tell me if i have overlooked something that would be greatly appreciated.

I have had a mechanic I know to bounce ideas off of, and to come run some tests one night. I am currently in school for mechanics so i do have resources at my disposal but I am stumped, and a lot of my teachers are not sure what it could be.

-Spark- pulled spark plugs 2 weeks ago nice blue spark using tester. Plugs were tan in color. Spark plugs are gapped to spec and have less than 1000km on them.

-Fuel- Checked between injectors and fuel filter, Tested 35-38psi (within spec)

-Compression- Haven't checked yet, but have reason to believe its good. Car runs strong, doesn't burn oil.

-Timing- Reset CAS, Set base timing following FSM

Car would crank and fire on first crank, then continue cranking. After 20 mins or so car would eventually start. It would progressively start by firing twice after 5-10 mins then start firing intermittently for the first few cranks than just first up and run.

After this i replaced Coolant temp sensor, Car was wanting to start just needed timing. I set base timing and car would start almost normally. Drove car for 2-3 days.

By the 3rd day car wasn't starting normally and it would crank for 4-5 secs then i would stop depress gas pedal to floor and crank, car would fire up almost instantly.

I left the car sitting for a couple days, when i went to drive it again it has the same exact characteristics as at the start. Fire once then just crank, sometimes not even firing and just cranking.

When car does start it runs very strong, No misfires, burps or sputters. Very responsive and pulls hard.

gostrider
02-24-2012, 12:03 PM
same issue here hard starting in the morning not sure what it is..

cotbu
02-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Pull fuel rail and check injectors for leaks. Normally I would tell you to start the car with the accelerator down before this test.

jvega
02-28-2012, 03:44 AM
i had the same problem starting my sr20 for the first time. It ended up being that i was flooding the cylinders with fuel. So one night, we pulled the injector clips, and it started! I let it run for a few seconds like that without the harness connected to the injectors. Then i just reconnected the clips back on and its been good ever since.

jdunkz
03-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Forgot to respond to here. I've replaced the gas with fresh fuel and it runs now, Except if its cold then it still just cranks and wont fire, if its warm outside it will start and drive fine. Any one know which sensors can stop the car from firing or starting? I'm starting to think i have a bad connection somewhere

wangan_cruiser
03-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Try to replace your sparkplug with a hotter heat range. My buddy had the same problem. He change his sparkplug and fixed the problem

iRockairjordan
08-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Check your starter relay, it's a blue relay located on passenger side of the engine bay.

Mandooh240
12-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Was the solution ever found to this problem?? I am currently undergoing this same thing and have done ALL of the above so far..

Mikester
12-10-2013, 12:25 PM
^^If your plugs are tan in color, quit using octane booster... run it out of gas, fill it up and put fresh plugs in. Use copper, heat range 6 plugs if it's stock.

Mandooh240
12-10-2013, 01:12 PM
I am not using octane booster, and am usung NGK iridium 8 plugs

Mikester
12-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Is your motor fully built & tuned? If not, #8's are too cold for your setup. If typically modded (exhaust, FMIC, boost controller) on stock tune, you need heat range 6 or 7 gapped to .030".

Food for thought: Iridium plugs are great, long lasting and extremely stable; but the tradeoff here is they do not conduct nearly as well as copper or platinum. I run iridiums, but on a fully built motor with an amplified ignition system.

Fuego
12-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Madpooh, does your car fire at all or just turn?