PDA

View Full Version : Attention Audioheads:Wiring up a stiffening capacitor

Ghettokracker71
01-14-2004, 08:00 AM
I have a system in my '91 FB,and it sounds really nice,I have a Bazooka amp(with Infinity sub), until I get my stiffening cap. wired up I'm running a 4ohms instead of 2 stable,I have it mounted and chargedbut I have no clue how to wire it up,its a Lightning Audio 1 Farad unit with digitial voltmeter...it has two large gold posts,one is marked positive,and the other negative,and has 2 available connections on each post(actually 4,2 front,and 2 side...for more mounting flexibility,but only 2 are usable each post at the same time) and I know that you are supposed to run your power line to it,and from it to your amp while mounting it as close as possible to amp...but wich post do I run my power line into,and wich do I run my power line out of into my amp ? The local audio shops all want $30-45 just to cut the wire that I already have,and run it...

Thanks !

I really need to know!:doh:

Ghettokracker71
01-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Come on.......I know SOMEBODY on here knows how the hell to wire one of these things,and it would save me good money I could put into making this thing more of ahonda killer

:aw: :aw: :aw: :aw: :aw: :aw: :aw: :aw: :aw: :aw: :aw: :aw:

95auto
01-14-2004, 05:11 PM
you are going to run the capacitor in Parrallel with your existing battery,

run the (+) wire from your battery to the (+) of the capacitor, then from the (+) of the capacitor, to the (+) of the amplifier.

run a ground from the (-) to a GOOD chassis ground.

adam

Ghettokracker71
01-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 95auto
you are going to run the capacitor in Parrallel with your existing battery,

run the (+) wire from your battery to the (+) of the capacitor, then from the (+) of the capacitor, to the (+) of the amplifier.

run a ground from the (-) to a GOOD chassis ground.

adam

Very much thank you!

stillmatic
01-14-2004, 10:14 PM
I hope it's not too late, but make sure you charge the capacitor before you install it. It should come with a charge card or resistor.

The install is just like what auto95 said. However, you can connect the capacitor + and battery + to the amp. The ground wire should be no longer than 18" and use 8 gauge or thicker wires.

kandyflip445
01-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Um...did you say it has a digital voltmeter on it? Those only hinder caps and sometimes even make them worthless. The cap would be more effective if it was just a normal cap without the digi readout. Also, it might help if you upgrade your grounds. Your engine ground, alt ground, and your main battery cables. I think I'm forgeting one more but oh well...;)

nightwalker
01-15-2004, 12:21 PM
yes, charge it! you could run the risk of blowing it up if you don't.