PDA

View Full Version : How much $ for labor

240trooper
02-06-2012, 09:21 PM
I plan on getting my Ka24de motor rebuilt because I cant and don't have the time to do it, but how much should labor be? The motor to be taken out rebuilt and re installed. Not by a shop but by a mechanic I know? I have all the parts already.

Migit240sx
02-06-2012, 09:35 PM
I'd like to know as well :D

Flipnirish
02-06-2012, 09:36 PM
about $50/hr...:wiggle:

rcdad123
02-06-2012, 09:38 PM
i would charge you $50 an hour for 20 hours. that is not including machine shop labor for rebuilding the head and bore, hone, and cleaning of the block, and also polishing of the crankshaft.

job4ac0wboy
02-06-2012, 10:01 PM
The way i do it is base it on how smooth the project goes. If its cake then i charge a little less than average. The average not individually owned shop runs like low to mid 90 bucks and some change per labor hour. So thats excluding parts. Which are also marked up like 40+ percent depending where you go. Half asleep. Sorry for any typos. What i do with alot of my customers is we both write down a price we think is fair and meet in the middle. Works good for both people anyways. But if someone tries to charge you over like 80 per labor hour then its no go. but on a job like that expect the worst and hope for the best. On a complete overhaul if it went good id.go about 55-60 flag and your choice on part quality.

240trooper
02-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Thank you for all the replies!! I'm paying $800 and I have all the parts already I just wanted to make sure I wasn't paying too much and at the same time I don't want to rip the guy off, He does quality work on my car.

jdm213
02-07-2012, 01:15 AM
if i were just a mechanic i would charge u like 7 to 900 bux if u want a good job and are patient

Promise Land
02-07-2012, 11:29 AM
$800 sounds about right if you are dropping it off as a complete engine and getting it back as a complete engine. Do you have a detailed breakdown of the expected work?

Kingtal0n
02-07-2012, 06:37 PM
why not find another running KA engine from someone doing a swap?
That would save alot of time and money, and it would probably run for several years if you maintained it well.

240trooper
02-07-2012, 10:27 PM
$800 sounds about right if you are dropping it off as a complete engine and getting it back as a complete engine. Do you have a detailed breakdown of the expected work?

I did drop it off as a complete engine still in the car and I'm getting it back that way. He is taking it apart sending block and head to the machine shop to hone the block and hot tank both the head and block. Maybe port depending on the shops prices or he will port it him self. He is also going to clean everything and then will remove all emissions crap. Then installing supertechpistons pistons, cosworth HG, timing kit, oil pump, water pump, main and rod bearings ARP head studs, and nismo motor mounts. He got the motor out yesterday and should be done in two weeks. He's busy with school and work.

240trooper
02-07-2012, 10:31 PM
why not find another running KA engine from someone doing a swap?
That would save alot of time and money, and it would probably run for several years if you maintained it well.

I don't have the time to swap another ka in while this one is being built. Which means I would have to buy another ka and pay him to install that one while this is being done. I'd rather save that money for other stuff on my car. It is my DD but it's ok im just having my girl drive me around until it is done. Lol.

Croustibat
02-08-2012, 08:55 AM
For that kind of work, you ARE ripping him off by paying only 800$.

The machine shop also needs to bore the block to piston specs. Did you forget to tell us, or did he ? If he does not know that, i would get my car back before it is too late ...

Leetfade
02-08-2012, 09:35 AM
$800 to do all that work is a good deal. If that includes the machine work, he's doing it for practically nothing.

240trooper
02-08-2012, 12:24 PM
For that kind of work, you ARE ripping him off by paying only 800$.

The machine shop also needs to bore the block to piston specs. Did you forget to tell us, or did he ? If he does not know that, i would get my car back before it is too late ...

No the machine shop will be giving us the specs then we will choose how much to bore and which piston size I will go with. I was busy when posting what would be done so it slipped my mind.

240trooper
02-08-2012, 12:28 PM
$800 to do all that work is a good deal. If that includes the machine work, he's doing it for practically nothing.

That doesn't include the machine work. But yes apparently I'm getting a really good deal. I've been going to him for 6 months and he does quality work for pretty cheap. I will keep going to him for any work that needs to be done to my car as long as everything with the motor goes well.

souls_hb
02-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi, I'm sorry to tag along on ur thread but I have a similar problem a shop is charging me 950 for dropping of engine n putting back up. Which sounds like a descent price. But to take my engine to the shop to rebuild engine block with no mods just a rebuild of vital parts I'm guessing he's charging me 2,200.00 is he trying to rip me off?? How much is ur rebuilt costing n do u have a machine shop u can recommend?

240trooper
02-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi, I'm sorry to tag along on ur thread but I have a similar problem a shop is charging me 950 for dropping of engine n putting back up. Which sounds like a descent price. But to take my engine to the shop to rebuild engine block with no mods just a rebuild of vital parts I'm guessing he's charging me 2,200.00 is he trying to rip me off?? How much is ur rebuilt costing n do u have a machine shop u can recommend?
end?[/QUOTE]

If you look a couple posts back I wrote what parts I'm getting (also clutch and flywheel). I'm paying $800 for labor, $1600 in parts, and he won't find out the machine shop prices until this weekend but he said between $200 - $300 depending on if he can get a deal or not. I'm going through my buddy and your going to a shop so they are going to raise the prices on parts so they can turn a profit. why don't you buy the parts yourself and then have him do the work that should be cheaper?